Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSS View Post
OK, back from my New Mexico trip. 2,130 miles. Weighed my rig in Junction TX. Not good. Even after taking everything out and moving tools, etc to the Jeep, I'm still 440 lbs. overweight on my rear axle (10,040 lbs.) Not too worried except for the tires. The Hankook's are only rated at 2,470 in a dual configuration. I'm over the tire capacity by 160 lbs.. Going to switch to the Michelin's as soon as I can. They are rated at 2,760 lbs I believe. At least the ones on my HD2500 have that capacity. I did have all 4 of the family members and all associated cargo for the week on-board. I also had a full gas tank and 1/2 full fresh water.

Most of the time it will be just me and the wife, so we will be lighter. I can't help but wonder how many people blindly buy one of these things, fill/pack it up and go.....

I also decided I don't like the touch panel to control the lights....pain in the *****. I will be adding wall switches to over ride as soon as I get the time. Large panel in the living room kept locking up and rebooting.....

Thanks again and be safe....
Be careful - in all likelihood your weight on the back is not 50/50 on both sides. 60/40 would not be unheard of. The 160/tire is probably not the best assumption to make.

And I hate to see that about the panel / tablet controller. It was one of the biggest things in the Forester I almost bought that I thought was totally cool but had me completly worried.

I work in IT - I see anything like that panel and I think firmware updates, locking up, what happens when it doesn't come on, etc.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

I work in IT - I see anything like that panel and I think firmware updates, locking up, what happens when it doesn't come on, etc.
I'm in IT as well. If I could do this whole thing over, I would purchase the sister unit in "Sunseeker" and get the manual panel......

Forest River, If you happen to be reading this "Great Job!! (total sarcasm).
1FastSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #23

Final update I guess. I'm going to upgrade my brand new Hankook RV tires to Michelin Rib XPS tires. This way I'll at least have way more tire than I need. Going to pack what I need withing reason and hope for the best. Not sure what to expect from the rear suspension if it runs a little over weight.

Mad at myself for not doing more homework. I felt I did a lot of research before purchasing this thing.....Didn't expect this.....
Old 04-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #24

The tablet controller was one of the big reasons we bought a 2016. Iím not in IT but know enough about software that I didnít want it controlling all the major RV systems. This has been an ongoing discussion here.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Final update I guess. I'm going to upgrade my brand new Hankook RV tires to Michelin Rib XPS tires. This way I'll at least have way more tire than I need. Going to pack what I need withing reason and hope for the best. Not sure what to expect from the rear suspension if it runs a little over weight.

Mad at myself for not doing more homework. I felt I did a lot of research before purchasing this thing.....Didn't expect this.....

'If' you had done your 'homework' on every RV that is and will be on the road, you would buy none, as almost all, will put you in the same spot that you are in. Very little to no room for 'carrying weight'. 'you' are looking for a fix (that you should never have had to look for in the first place) that you will never find. You are doing some 'upgrades' (that you should never have had to do in the first place) that will never really put you to the point of comfort/safety feeling. ie. A good tipping carrying weight point. imo. Do the best you can and live with it (and sleep well) or sell your unit and motel your vacations. This post is in no way directed at your concerns as being bad (as they are very valid), but the facts of the low quality workmanship and standards of the RV industry as a whole. I am very much on 'your side' of the frustration.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #26
Tinkerer and Putterer

When you're rear heavy your front end will start to bounce and float when you hit bumps.

When your heavy to one side you will tend to move easier in that direction and resist moving in the other direction when wind blows, cars pass or on uneven surfaces. In extreme situations you will sway more when turning when your off balance side to side.

I have never had a problem with being heavy in the front.

Most of the time the fam stores their luggage in the overhead bunk when traveling, I keep the tool box behind the drivers seat and our dogs are parked between us when driving which keeps the rear end bias down. I am heavy to the passenger side when empty which makes getting balanced side to side while loaded almost impossible. That's why I tend to run 5 pounds more air in the passenger side bag and also why I installed a rear track bar. Now the entire chassis fights the sway instead of just the steering wheel.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #27

inventory time

May I suggest a written inventory for the coach. We have one each for the inside and outside. They are laminated so DW can quickly do a pre launch with a dry eraser. It really has helped to dail in the tools and parts we carry (air bag line repair kit, pex line and tool, tpms gaskets and batts), and in doing our replacement food shopping on the road. Each winter we "clean up" the lists and correct inventory. We now have hot, cold and average temp build sheets. Currently building the "grandsons" load configuration. We started years ago by taking one drawer, bay, or cubby at a time and entering it in excel.

If it on the lists it is tire weight, if it is not on the list it is still at home.. But as we are in a 2300 we run out of storage space before overload. When someone asks for a 3/16 crow foot (ya it happened) I can say I will look. When I flip the 5 x 7s and say afraid not they looked preturbed...

Ya, I'm that guy..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #28
Tinkerer and Putterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post

If it on the lists it is tire weight, if it is not on the list it is still at home.. But as we are in a 2300 we run out of storage space before overload. When someone asks for a 3/16 crow foot (ya it happened) I can say I will look. When I flip the 5 x 7s and say afraid not they looked preturbed...

Ya, I'm that guy..
You're not the only one
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #29

Unless you are getting a really good trade-in on you Hankooks, you may want to consider selling them on craigslist. Someone with a lighter RV may be happy to have them and you can recoupe some of your investment.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #30

One more thing. The Michelin's don't appear to have a direct size replacement. Can I go up to the 235/85R16? I don't want them to rub together on the duels in the back....I currently have 225/75R16.

Thanks in advance for all your help...
Old 04-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #31

Quote:
One more thing. The Michelin's don't appear to have a direct size replacement. Can I go up to the 235/85R16? I don't want them to rub together on the duels in the back....I currently have 225/75R16.

Thanks in advance for all your help...
The 235/85R16 is close to 2.5" larger in diameter than the 225/75R16.
31.73" vs 29.29. This will cause you to lose the same amount of tire spacing. You might be able to get away with it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The 235/85R16 is close to 2.5" larger in diameter than the 225/75R16.
31.73" vs 29.29. This will cause you to lose the same amount of tire spacing. You might be able to get away with it.
Correction, you'd only lose about 1/2" or so between tires. My brain thought tandem, not dual.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #33

Are you sure you can’t get them ? I have the Michelin 225/75/16 LTXs !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #34

Time for a diet (3011DSF)

You can purchase the Michelin XPS Ribbed in a 225/75R-16. Just purchased a set. Looking for a little tougher for my 3170.
The load spec is the same as the LTX. Duel load is 4940@80psi
From the Michelin tire booklet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	167411  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
You have to be creative with what you bring. My 3011 has a ccc of 1602. I had it weighed ready to camp with a full fridge, propane and full fuel plus my Roadmaster Falcon2 and it came in at 14020 with 9480 on the rear which puts me under the axle rating by 120 pounds. I figured by adding the 3 shelties and my DW I am over a little but once down to 3/4 of a tank I am ok.

If we carry anything else the heavier items go in the TOAD. The things we have added to our collection the past couple of years have added to this figure I am sure. Spring clean out is coming so some things will need to be evaluated. Do we really need 5 chairs and 3 portable fans?
We are about in the same boat with out 3011DS. Can you tell me what you run your tire pressures at.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #36

Edrps
I see it has been 2 days since your question so I'll tell you what we're running in our Forester 3051.
We're at maximum weight (14600 lbs)or barely under (last scale check was 4960 front and 9560 rear with full gasoline and propane, 1/4 tank fresh water and empty holding tanks) and put 80 psi in the rears, 75 psi in the fronts, 70 psi in the airbags.
We had each wheel weighed separately, a little over on passenger front and driver rear (while still under maximum total) and were able to even things out by moving a few items around.
We are learning to carry less on each trip and anything we may pick up along the way goes in the toad.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #37

Quote:
I'm in IT as well. If I could do this whole thing over, I would purchase the sister unit in "Sunseeker" and get the manual panel......

Forest River, If you happen to be reading this "Great Job!! (total sarcasm).
Going on 2 years with our tablet system in a 2017 Forester. We've never had a issue with it but can agree that using it to switch on lights is a pain. I guess as long as the router doesn't die we can always use the phone app as backup for the tablets.

1FastSS
Your tablet issue should be covered under warranty for either reprogramming or replacement. Call Forest River.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
Edrps
I see it has been 2 days since your question so I'll tell you what we're running in our Forester 3051.
We're at maximum weight (14600 lbs)or barely under (last scale check was 4960 front and 9560 rear with full gasoline and propane, 1/4 tank fresh water and empty holding tanks) and put 80 psi in the rears, 75 psi in the fronts, 70 psi in the airbags.
We had each wheel weighed separately, a little over on passenger front and driver rear (while still under maximum total) and were able to even things out by moving a few items around.
We are learning to carry less on each trip and anything we may pick up along the way goes in the toad.
Thank you. I run a little lighter and about 5# less psi front and back and same on bags.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #39

I run 13600 lbs. I have a heavy tool carrying bag I put between the front two seats. I load as much extra stuff and possible in the overhead bunk. Iím running 78 psi all the way around.

I just installed the Eez TPMS. It seems more accurate than the my old system.

Iíd consider the General Grabbers. They have a 90 psi tire than has much greater carrying capacity.

But if I have anything really heavy, I put it In our Jeep Grand C.

Best of luck!
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
I run 13600 lbs. I have a heavy tool carrying bag I put between the front two seats. I load as much extra stuff and possible in the overhead bunk. Iím running 78 psi all the way around.

I just installed the Eez TPMS. It seems more accurate than the my old system.

Iíd consider the General Grabbers. They have a 90 psi tire than has much greater carrying capacity.

But if I have anything really heavy, I put it In our Jeep Grand C.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info. I run a little lighter in front. Seems when I add more weight in front the steering gets a little less predictable. I've thought about adding more rear weight to see if it stabilizes.

Irregardless, with these lighter chassis', the greater the effect from moving things around. I have a Blue Ox steering stabilizer and have thought about changing to Safety-Plus to tighten things up steering wise. I'm not sure how much that would help and they are not cheap.