Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Time for a diet (3011DSF)

We have a new 3011DSF we bought 2 months ago. I have almost everything stored in the bins from my last TT and decided I would swing by the CAT scale and see how close I was to the 14,500lbs. Keep in mind I'm taking a 2000 mile trip for Spring Break and I only had half a tank of water and fuel. Along with only 3 adults (I'll have one more on the trip). Rig weighed in at 14,650....150 over my limit. Rig will now have to go on a diet. Not sure what to remove as I don't even have as much stuff in there that I had in my 30 foot trailer. I'm a person that works on everything myself if possible. I carry a lot of tools and supplies. Guess I'm going to have to thin that stuff out...

I think I'm going to have to put tools and other stuff in my Jeep Toad to get it out of the MH. 2003 Jeep TJ came in at 4,100#'s.....

Very disappointed in Forest River for not allowing for more CCC...somehow, it should be illegal......
1FastSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #2

Yes 3011 is a big Class C. I love the floorplan but ended up with a 2801 for more carrying capacity.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

Does the 332 include driver? Passenger? Full water tank? Asking as I recently noticed I have two CCC stickers. One comprehends a full tank of water (that I never carry), the other sticker does not.

Nice that u have a cargo trailer to offload stuff.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Always Learning

When you move it to the Jeep, watch your Gross Combined Weight Rating + towing hitch ratings next.

This is just a fact of life for class C campers. The chassis have a fixed GVWR and we all want the longest rig with the most bells and whistles. Every little thing adds up!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Always Learning

btw, kudos to you for weighing! Most donít and are blissfully unaware that theyíre overloading their rigs.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Most donít and are blissfully unaware that theyíre overloading their rigs.
I have not weighed since Day One. Respectfully, I hate to think I am "blissfully unaware" though. I always travel alone, never with full fresh, black or grey tanks. One day should I hit a scale, I will either be validated or vilified. So far though, so good. I pare down a few heavier items depending upon the length of trip, altitude adjustments and warmer weather as it relates to engine lag.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #7

Don't suppose it would help if I suggest adding a couple of helium tanks to give it a little lift?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
Citrus County, Fl.

You have to be creative with what you bring. My 3011 has a ccc of 1602. I had it weighed ready to camp with a full fridge, propane and full fuel plus my Roadmaster Falcon2 and it came in at 14020 with 9480 on the rear which puts me under the axle rating by 120 pounds. I figured by adding the 3 shelties and my DW I am over a little but once down to 3/4 of a tank I am ok.

If we carry anything else the heavier items go in the TOAD. The things we have added to our collection the past couple of years have added to this figure I am sure. Spring clean out is coming so some things will need to be evaluated. Do we really need 5 chairs and 3 portable fans?
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #9

Your solution is in the toad. We had the same issues and decided our jeep would double as a trailer. 14,600 on the rig and 4,000 on the toad. Jeep Patriot rating is 3000 when we add extras, brings it to 4000.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #10

I have a 2016 3011 and identified carrying capacity as a possible issue before I even purchased. However, we primarily travel with just the two of us on-board and almost never boon dock so we don't have much of a need to take the entire home with us. However on a couple trips where we did travel with a few other people or did camp unconnected, we had to make some adjustments to stay underweight.

First, we never travel with more than a 1/4 tank of water. We use this water primarily for toilet and hand washing. On occasions where we have to travel with more people in the rig, then we go with zero water and just use rest stops like everyone else and if we need, fill up with water at the destination. This can easily save 100-200 lbs or more.

Second, we normally fill up the fuel tank but again if we have more people in the rig than just the two of us, we will only fill up to 3/4. And on short trips with a boatload of people we'll only use a 1/2 tank. This is another 100-200 lbs saved.

On long trips we have a Subaru we tow which is fairly light, so that can provide some offloading of things.

We ditched anything with glass and metal and only go with plastic, paper or aluminum cans.

I bought a grill for the camper to replace what we where previously using which save 20lbs.

etc etc.

Bottom line, if we where going to travel with 4 or more people or with kids most of the time then we probably have bought a different unit. But since most times it's just the two of us, the 3011 has worked well.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #11

When we moved from a fifth wheel to a class c I jettisoned a lot of stuff we carried "just in case". Now every spring when we get the moho ready to roll we have a policy of chucking anything we didn't use in the previous camping season. Even DH has thinned out the quantity of tools he carries. If something gets added something has to go. We actually have empty cupboards and compartments. Works for us.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #12

People in their units, either have nothing in them or too much.

Make sure I have tire minders... (more added weight)

and I would go with it.

I know that I am not suggesting for you or anyone one else. This is what I would say to me/myself/ and I... only..... and no one else....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #13

I replaced a 22 year old TT recently and learned an important lesson. RV's have a bad habit of gaining weight over the years. When I emptied the old one and started loading the items into my new TT I decided that a good part of what I carried was unneeded.

I found I had enough tools to totally build a new TT from scratch rather than just the ones needed for common maintenance and repairs. The collection of flashlights was most amazing, all the way from a dozen pocket sized units up to a couple of what was once the "latest and greatest" LED floodlights.

Now I have only the essentials for tire changing, small repairs, and a few commonly needed spare parts that total less than 20# and fit into a cheap plastic tool box.

As for food and supplies? I leave home with only enough to get me to the last Walmart before I hit the boonies. That's when I add the canned goods, bottled water and other beverages, etc. Why pay for the extra gas to haul the same things from home that I can buy 500-1,000 miles from home?

I now travel almost 3/4 ton lighter than before in just "cargo".

Might be a good idea if we all made it a habit of totally unloading our rigs once per year and only putting back what is "current", getting rid of the normal accumulation of rarely or never used items. Might be fewer tire and mpg complaints

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #14

Thanks for all the ideas. Very much a learning experience. My old 2006 MaxLite TT could carry everything. Especially after I upgraded spring, axles, and tires....another example of "Let's give them just what they need".

I'm going to move tools to the Jeep since we will be going "off Road", I'll need them in there anyway. The Jeep is just not as secure since it's a soft top.

Side note: I love how on the YouTube and RV Dealers videos the salesmen tell you 20 times how much storage space this unit has. It would be great I guess if all you carried were marshmallows and cotton balls.

Looking on my weight sheet from the CAT scale, all my extra weight is on the rear axle. Unit came with Hankook tires, so I'll need to check my max load with those.

I like the "If I haven't used it in a year, it's out" policy.

....and I too must carry 10 flashlights.....Thought I was the only one who did that.

Bee safe......
Old 02-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #15
Tinkerer and Putterer

been living with a 3011 since 2013. We have a family of 4 and we have traveled with a 5th at times.

We never use the freshwater tank to save weight. We keep a gallon in a jug for road emergencies and carry a 12 or 24 pack of waters for drinking.

Everyone gets one bag for clothes etc. If it doesn't fit it doesn't go. Even the Mrs. follows this rule but she has been known to use some space in my bag as well.

dishes are plastic or tossable

any tools carried must fit in a single tool box

A planned solar array was nixed due to weight concerns.

Volcano grill is 2ft x 2ft and much lighter than a larger collapsible grill.

We have some nice chairs but the extra chairs are tripod fishing chairs.

Onboard Bedding is kept to a minimum

I considered switching to one lithium battery in place of the two current lead acids and switching to Alcoa aluminum wheels. Those two changes would get me 500 lbs of CCC. 320 lbs would be gained by dropping 84 pounds of unsprung weight from the wheels and the rest would be from the batteries. The problem is those changes would set me back about 3k. It was cheaper to bring less crap....

I thought about pulling the exhaust pipe behind the muffler, shortening the distance between the muffler and the crossover pipe and coating the pipe with a ceramic coating and swapping the muffler over to a flowmaster big block muffler to get a little bit of power and cut out 20 - 50 lbs but the Mrs doesn't want to change the exhaust note. She didn't buy the whole weight savings argument either...
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #16

Update: Learned a lot in the past few weeks. I've shaved weight by removing stuff I don't feel I need or haven't used in a while.

My biggest concern now is the Hankook tires. Rated at 2440#'s each in a dual setup. That makes me right at my limit for the back when I weighed a few weeks ago. Wish I could change over to Michelin LTX's. My 3/4 ton has them and they are @2750#'s in a dual setup. I'll try and hit the scales on during my New Mexico trip in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for all the help....
Old 03-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSS View Post
Update: Learned a lot in the past few weeks. I've shaved weight by removing stuff I don't feel I need or haven't used in a while.

My biggest concern now is the Hankook tires. Rated at 2440#'s each in a dual setup. That makes me right at my limit for the back when I weighed a few weeks ago. Wish I could change over to Michelin LTX's. My 3/4 ton has them and they are @2750#'s in a dual setup. I'll try and hit the scales on during my New Mexico trip in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for all the help....
Hmmmmm, did not know that the new rigs were no longer being equipped with Michelin LTX tires. If that was the case when I bought my 2016 3011, that would have been a deal breaker.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #18

The one I’m about to buy has General Grabbers.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
The one Iím about to buy has General Grabbers.
If your model is a 3011 then make sure the load capacity of the General Tires is equivalent to the Michelin. If they are not, then you may want to negotiate a change as you will need the maximum tire load capability to actually get to the maximum carrying capacity of the RV. The 3011 CCC is not good to begin with and if you decrease the load capability of the tires then it gets even worse.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #20

OK, back from my New Mexico trip. 2,130 miles. Weighed my rig in Junction TX. Not good. Even after taking everything out and moving tools, etc to the Jeep, I'm still 440 lbs. overweight on my rear axle (10,040 lbs.) Not too worried except for the tires. The Hankook's are only rated at 2,470 in a dual configuration. I'm over the tire capacity by 160 lbs.. Going to switch to the Michelin's as soon as I can. They are rated at 2,760 lbs I believe. At least the ones on my HD2500 have that capacity. I did have all 4 of the family members and all associated cargo for the week on-board. I also had a full gas tank and 1/2 full fresh water.

Most of the time it will be just me and the wife, so we will be lighter. I can't help but wonder how many people blindly buy one of these things, fill/pack it up and go.....

I also decided I don't like the touch panel to control the lights....pain in the *****. I will be adding wall switches to over ride as soon as I get the time. Large panel in the living room kept locking up and rebooting.....

I'll create a new post with all the little "issues" I came across to get some feedback as to weather these things are normal or not....

Thanks again and be safe....