Old 08-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #1

Time for new tires?

2016 3010DS, 29,000 miles, good tread all around. Some say time for new tires, some say go another year or two.

What's been your experience with tire failures with similiar miles, etc?
Ohinaz1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Ambassador Member

Cracked

Ahh the old 5 years and replace em saga. Its all about risk assessment. The useful life of the rubber is very dependent on how they were
maintained. In direct sun? On concrete indoors? Climate controlled? , ect.
So look at this as if your life depends on it because it may.
Also, Just because your unit is a 2016, that does not mean the tires are. Check the date code on each tire.
You can inspect the tire for cracks/cuts on the sidewall. If they are in good shape you have a shot. Please do not forget that unlike your car, your RV tires are running very near maximum capacity.
If everything looks great the tire folks say you may be able to squeeze up to 10 years out of them. Considering what they recommend for maintenance and storage, thats a bridge too far. YMMV
No PMís.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #3

Too many factors involved here. I have known people that have 20 year old car tires on their camper and never ever checked the bearings. But they only drive across town to the lake 5 times a year and never get over 35 mph because of the stop lights.

The next person can have brand new top of the line trailer tires and blow one 5 miles from home on the 4 lane.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

Everyone's situation is different but I just replaced all the rear tires on my 2016 3011 recently. Here's some detail's of my situation.
  • The RV is parked at a Public Storage outside on asphalt in the Sun.
  • The weight of the RV is close to max carrying capacity 99% of the time.
  • I only had 19K miles
  • The tires were made in 2015.

Last October I blew an outside tire after rubbing a curb on a turn so I had to decide to just replace the one tire, replace all rear tires or replace all tires. If I had not replaced the tires now I probably would have replaced them after this season or next. Given the factors above, I decided to split the difference and replace all the rear tires before this season. The most important factor was that replacing my tires now enabled me to install tires which have a higher load capacity providing some additional safety from issues related to tire stress/ failure due to high load. So while I did not need to replace them due to mileage, the other factors swayed me to replacing those tires now.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
Commercial Member

if in doubt, have a tire place check them out
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Members

Cracks in the sidewalls of all 6 tires at 26,000 miles convinced me to replace them on my 2015 3010DS Sunseeker.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #7

Depends on the brand, record the manufacture date of all your tires and check their website. Michelin tires are good for 10 years, many are 7.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #8

There was another tire post a few hours before yours. He had less than 6000 miles. Blow out and now has trailer damage. Of course, when you replace them is totally up to you, but like the old commercial went
You can pay me now, or you can pay me later. Later with added damage. Is it worth it?
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #9

Check the tire dates. Probably a year or more older than your rig. Go to your manufacturer tire website on replacement. Sight unseen I personally would replace.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #10

If the tread is good check sidewalls. If they are cracked have checked at tire shop. Mine sat on dealer and manufacturers lot for awhile and I got 6 years out of steer axle and 8 out of drive axle due to sidewall cracks. I think I will do better on my current tires due to being covered always. 5 years on steer axle and they still look new. Good luck!
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:08 PM   #11

Replace tires?

After considering all the very much appreciated input on this site, I've elected to break out the checkbook. 6 new Firestone's being installed next week, just cracking the 4 figure level in price.
Not worth the risk of a blow out, time along the side of the road, and possible risk to the coach and ourselves.

Thanks again, all.

Happy Trails
Ohinaz1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:01 AM   #12

Thatís the right decision!
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #13

A note about covering tires. Our current TT is on its 3rd season. I have kept the tires covered since the day we brought it home. It is parked on gravel. I dont cover the tires during camping. The tires look the same as they did on day one. Our old TT we had for 5 years. The tires at 5 years had a lot of sidewall cracking. I'm thinking the tire covers are extending the life of my tires a year or two and keeping them in good shape on the way.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires