Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

Tire pressure gauge for inner dually on sprinter body

Hello
I have a Forest River forester MBS and have tried 3 different tire pressure gauges to check the pressure on the inner dually. I can reach and unscrew the cap no problem but even with a right angle adapter and gauges meant for dualies, I can’t get the gauge onto the valve. I did read that you possibly have to take the hubcap off to do it which just seems crazy. I also read that I should get valve extenders but also read a lot of bad things about them and causing flats. Any help is appreciated.
Rachel
rachelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelr View Post
Hello

I have a Forest River forester MBS and have tried 3 different tire pressure gauges to check the pressure on the inner dually. I can reach and unscrew the cap no problem but even with a right angle adapter and gauges meant for dualies, I can’t get the gauge onto the valve. I did read that you possibly have to take the hubcap off to do it which just seems crazy. I also read that I should get valve extenders but also read a lot of bad things about them and causing flats. Any help is appreciated.

Rachel

I screw on an extender to check and/or add air then remove it when finished.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

valve extension

X2 "I screw on an extender to check and/or add air then remove it when finished"

I have an assortment of extenders that have accumlated over the years and usually use two or three each time I check the pressure. Knock on wood - the tires are holding very good, haven't had to add for the last couple trips.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member

rachelr

will you send me a private message with the last 6 of your vin and contact information. I would like to see when your unit was built.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelr View Post
Hello
Rachel
I agree with your opine on valve extenders and it is a pita to have to take the wheel simulators off (mine are hammer-on). Since you can get air in the inners then you can put a gauge on that tool as I have on the attached photo. So now I can get the proper pressure in. However that leaves the issue of checking the pressure. Every time you put a gauge on the valve stem you lose air. Putting an extension on creates a double loss. My solution is to use a TPMS as my valve cap.
I check my tires using the tire minder app on my smart phone. Only the inners would require simulator removal to air up. Last year was a short adventure. Only went up to Kennybunk, ME then over to Watkins Glen, NY and back. 7000 miles and no air loss. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF148A12-23FD-4B10-9187-ACE879C6615B.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	236442  
Old 08-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #6

Thank you so much for these suggestions! I just ordered a TPMS system and valve extenders just to put on if I need to add air.
I really appreciate it!
rachelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by karykatz View Post
rachelr

will you send me a private message with the last 6 of your vin and contact information. I would like to see when your unit was built.

Kary,
Since some of us have the same issue as racheir , what is the reason behind knowing when a unit is built?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #8

The problem with permanently installing extenders is they might cause a vibration, leading o failure. There’s a fix for that. I’ve installed these units on my Forester and on two different Ram duallys. They work...over 200,000 miles without a failure.

https://www.shinyrv.com/product-cate...edes-sprinter/
Old 08-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #9
Commercial Member

We install valve extenders on the MBS product at the factory. I'm trying to determine when the unit was built so I can review why the unit might not have the extenders.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The problem with permanently installing extenders is they might cause a vibration, leading o failure. There’s a fix for that. I’ve installed these units on my Forester and on two different Ram duallys. They work...over 200,000 miles without a failure.

Emm-dee,

My 2020 MBS came with those ones already installed. I still have to pop the hub cover off to check properly.... maybe they used too short of ones?

Brian
papagyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagyo View Post
Emm-dee,

My 2020 MBS came with those ones already installed. I still have to pop the hub cover off to check properly.... maybe they used too short of ones?

Brian
If the rubber type inserts are installed they will lock the stems in place. I had to put very small, maybe one inch, extensions on all the wheels on my Forester so I could install the TST sensors.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #12

FWIW.. this is the one I use on my Dually. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCX3H1G..._aoznFbMY1N4BE
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #13

I have brass extenders on all wheels on my 2016 Forester and use a TPMS on them all and haven't had any leak problems. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I know many people, besides me, who use them successfully.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

X2 Installed these earlier this summer.
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #15

Ours was built in 2015 no extenders,pain in da butt!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karykatz View Post
We install valve extenders on the MBS product at the factory. I'm trying to determine when the unit was built so I can review why the unit might not have the extenders.
poddy47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #16

Can you mail the extenders to us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by poddy47p View Post
Ours was built in 2015 no extenders,pain in da butt!!
poddy47p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire