Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2021, 11:32 PM   #1

Tire question

On my 2018 3010DS I have checked the tires and kept them at the required pressure and to day as I was doing the check, I noticed that they were made in Korea. I have not heard anybody message about these tires.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:17 AM   #2

What is the brand and tire model? Being made in Korea does not mean they are no good. Well maybe if it says North Korea. I have not heard of tires from N. Korea.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQROOT View Post
On my 2018 3010DS I have checked the tires and kept them at the required pressure and to day as I was doing the check, I noticed that they were made in Korea. I have not heard anybody message about these tires.
That your tires are made in Korea doesn’t tell us much about them. What brand and model are they?

The OEM tires Ford put on my 2019 E450 are Hankook Dynapro HT, made in Indonesia. With 10,000 miles on them so far, they seem to work well. I don’t really care where they were made.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:15 AM   #4

Maxxis are made in Korea and are generally good tires that I would buy them any day. Your probably pretty safe as long as they are not made in China.

Looking a little deeper. Chinese tires could be ok if they were a contract manufacturer for a more reputable Western company using that companies specs. Where stuff falls thru the cracks are Chinese tires made to what ever standard they are making them to or just plain making tires to make money.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Questionable

I really do not see a question here. If you have concerns regarding a specific tire then I suggest you go to www.nhtsa.gov and look it up.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
You might provide the make, model and size of your tires for others to comment on.

Not sure if you’re asking a question here or not.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #7

The company I retired from imported and sold literally thousands of tires make in Korea. Overall they were better than tires "Made in USA" by one of our (formerly) premier US tire manufacturers. They were purchased by a foreign company that made good tires.

Back in 1990 my company decided to ride the patriotic wave during Desert Storm and launched a "Out Tires Are Made in USA" campaign. They then chose a manufacturer that produced tires with a greater than 30% material/defects warranty rate to produce our Private Label Tires.

All during that time our "Korean" and "Japanese" produced tires were performing fantastically.

Manufacturing culture in both Korea and Japan is far different than many other countries, including the US.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Ford has been installing Hankook tires for a few years. The tires are made in several countries, including Korea, where Hankook is based. I've had them on a couple of vehicle with no negative issues to report.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Ford has been installing Hankook tires for a few years. The tires are made in several countries, including Korea, where Hankook is based. I've had them on a couple of vehicle with no negative issues to report.
X2

Owner maintenance plays a lot into ANY tires performing well.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 10-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #10

Korea tires

Just curious if anybody had any bad to say, but from the comments, they are good.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just curious if anybody had any bad to say, but from the comments, they are good.
How would anyone have something bad to say when you never gave any information about the subject? People can only assume.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #12
Gruber

Hankook tires

We are on a see America road trip. We have a 2018 Forester 2291. For the first 20,000 miles we showed even wear on the tires. Then we traveled through New England(Rhode Island the worst) and hit many pot holes. Now I’m showing uneven wear on the front right tire with about 26k miles. Uneven wear seems to have come on recently. Pressure monitored etc. Need to get aligned and probably replace one front tire maybe both. Is there any reason we should switch to a different tire if we replace both front tires? So far no issues with the Hankooks.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #13
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefrid View Post
We are on a see America road trip. We have a 2018 Forester 2291. For the first 20,000 miles we showed even wear on the tires. Then we traveled through New England(Rhode Island the worst) and hit many pot holes. Now I’m showing uneven wear on the front right tire with about 26k miles. Uneven wear seems to have come on recently. Pressure monitored etc. Need to get aligned and probably replace one front tire maybe both. Is there any reason we should switch to a different tire if we replace both front tires? So far no issues with the Hankooks.
To answer your question……

No, there is not.

Ken and Terry
Old 11-06-2021, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefrid View Post
Just do some research and buy the best tires you can afford. I want the best tires on my rig even if they cost more. If you like the Hankook tires then get the same ones.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, tire