Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Have Camera will Travel

Tires

Tires on the bus have 80,000 KLM or 50,000 miles. Chassis is 2017. Don't see any wear or cracking. They hold air without issue. Should I be concerned about replacing them. Planning a cross country trip that could add another 10-15000 klm some of it on gravel road.
Should I look at replacing them now.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Depends

If:
No cracks or bubbles anywhere on the sidewalls, inside or out (hard to check the duallys) and
Plenty of tread depth remaining. and
No balance or abnormal tread wear issue.
Then you should be just fine. Five years is a recommended number however that is the worst case scenario. I believe the bulk of manufactures recommend ten years as a maximum. I would also consider the brand and type of use in making that decision. Sidewall scuffs can tell you if they were “curbed”.
YMMV

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:51 PM   #3

Tires

Ours on our 3051 were at six years and the plan was to replace this year.

On the way to Florida this past winter the TPMS went off and then we heard a chunk of a rear tire hit the wheel well. Tire still held pressure but had to stop and have it replaced.

Just had 6 new ones put on yesterday based on age. Personally at five or six years after date code on the tire I’ll be replacing.

DW doesn’t want to spend a couple hours along I 75 just about six inches from the white line due to a small shoulder again either

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	273735

Based on the tire holding air after this came off I went with the same brand.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #4

You answered your own question -> How much tread is left? Are you at the wear bars? If no, then look for cracking. If no, then you're ok.

Spend your money on 3/4 tank of gas 😆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Eh View Post
Tires on the bus have 80,000 KLM or 50,000 miles. Chassis is 2017. Don't see any wear or cracking. They hold air without issue. Should I be concerned about replacing them. Planning a cross country trip that could add another 10-15000 klm some of it on gravel road.
Should I look at replacing them now.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:01 PM   #5

A trusted tire professional, probably your chassis shop, could inspect them and make a recommendation. Ideally they will know your vehicle and your driving plans.

My Class C tires are date stamped July 2016, replaced that very month, now with 10,000 miles on them.

6 years old in another couple months, my shop says they are good till next year's inspection.

Installed metal valve stems and the Tiremmider i10 TPMS for the rv and toad. Maintenance and monitoring is all you can do, there's no guarantees
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires