Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

tow button

Should you drive with the tow button on? I have read different explanations.
Rob Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stewart View Post
Should you drive with the tow button on? I have read different explanations.
If you are towing something. GM recommends it for towing anything according to my manual.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Ford recommends it too.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

I mean should we be deiving with it on all the time. We have a 2013 3170 with the Ford v10
Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stewart View Post
I mean should we be deiving with it on all the time. We have a 2013 3170 with the Ford v10
Only if you are towing something.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Use the tow feature only when you're towing. Your Ford owners manual explains this is more detail.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Ok....thanks
Old 10-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Only if you are towing something.
X2. - and not sure on Fords, but our Ram also has an Exhaust Brake function (button) that is used along with the Tow function.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #9

The Tow button locks out the OverDrive gears of most transmissions. When pulling a load the OverDrive gears will heat the transmission up, the internal parts of the OverDrive portion are not designed to do much beyond save fuel on the highway. I know in my gasser especially turning turning off OD with my 5th wheel is pretty much a must anyway as the motor needs the RPM to be able to eat properly and enough to tow comfortably.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Commercial Member

I use the tow haul, even when not towing when I am descending a steep grade. let's the engine do the breaking. I also use it in tight city traffic so its not always shifting.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #11

I also tow with a Ford V-10, and use the tow button religiously. As others have stated, this saves wear and tear on the tranny. You are correct, though; there are lots of opinions on the subject. I just prefer to follow the manufacturer's advice on this one.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #12

I have a Chevy 3500 dually diesel/Allison. I use tow/haul at lower speeds and rpms, then turn it off when I get to 55 mph and up. This drops the engine rpm's back to a good cruising range and the TV handles the load very well. I turn tow/haul back on when braking and in stop and go traffic. Those of you with gas engines may have a different view depending on the burden of the tow. I used to tow with a Suburban and 1500 PU using a 5.3L causing the engine/transmission to work hard, especially on upgrades and head winds. I used tow/haul all of the time with this setup and was never happy towing. Having a tow vehicle with sufficient engine torque to handle the load made a world of difference.
2Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #13

Tow button?

I use the 'Tow Mode' on my SuperChip (Keeps truck in lows gears longer at higher RPms) and leave the OverDrive button ON (for better fuel mileage on the open road) ....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I use the tow haul, even when not towing when I am descending a steep grade. let's the engine do the breaking. I also use it in tight city traffic so its not always shifting.
Did not know either of those uses! Thank you.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Denver, CO

In the GM dura Allison, the tow button changes the shift points AND uses engine braking so it is useful for a variety of situations. I have a western diesel electric brake control that uses the variable pitch vanes in the turbo to provide additional engine braking.

All in all a good system.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #16

As previously stated it locks out the over drive feature. When towing if not turned off the transmission will go into and out of over driver allot. This will result in the fluid getting to temp where it can boil. This will burn the fluid which in turn will damage the bands of the transmission.....Most of the of the heat is created when the transmission keeps shifting up and down (Hunting) the proper gear...
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
As previously stated it locks out the over drive feature. When towing if not turned off the transmission will go into and out of over driver allot. This will result in the fluid getting to temp where it can boil. This will burn the fluid which in turn will damage the bands of the transmission.....Most of the of the heat is created when the transmission keeps shifting up and down (Hunting) the proper gear...
I read a post on this subject a long time ago here and it was stated that while "Tow Mode" used to lock out overdrive, that it no longer does that in newer vehicles. YMMV.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

It does not lock out OD in my V10 in the Georgetown. Overdrive works either way. Like others here, I use the tow/haul mode in hilly places and in town.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #19

Like Barry said, tow mode used to lock out overdrive. Most modern transmissions are microprocessor controlled and select the best gear for the task. My transmission can tow max load in or out of tow mode. However, it works better in tow mode because the transmission changes the shift points for optimum performance and assists with braking by automatically downshifting. In either case, it will pull loads in 6th gear.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
It does not lock out OD in my V10 in the Georgetown. Overdrive works either way. Like others here, I use the tow/haul mode in hilly places and in town.
Just to re-state your post. I agree, the ford does not lockout overdrive. My brother-in-law has rebuilt trannys for 22 years and told me you can use the tow button in hilly areas if you want to but it makes no difference to the transmission.
The way they are built today your not hurting anything either way, the tranny will down or up shift when it needs to, that's what they are made to do. The tow button is just changing your rpm range.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote