Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #41

Patriot braking system

Thanks everyone for your input. Seems like it is better safe than sorry, but my local dealer wants to charge me $1450 for the Patriot w/install. I can get the unit for $1k on Amazon. Installation looks easy.

So the dealer wants $450+ for the install. WTH! Am i missing something?
Old 11-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #42
7 Year Class A RV'er

Remember that legal definitions vary greatly by state. In example, here is the South Carolina statute defining a trailer:

According to S.C. Code Ann. § 56-3-20, Trailer means every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and constructed so that no part of its weight rests upon the towing vehicle. A "Pole trailer" means every vehicle without motive power designed to be drawn by another vehicle and attached to the towing vehicle by means of a reach or pole or by being boomed or otherwise secured to the towing vehicle and ordinarily used for transporting long or irregularly shaped loads such as poles, pipes, or structural members capable, generally, of sustaining themselves as beams between the supporting connections.

That clearly defines a toad vehicle as a trailer. Also note that not all states gave reciprocity; in other words, what's legal in your home state is not necessarily legal there. I, for one, simply don't want to worry over this when traveling. I bought the RV to relax and if I need to add something to make that possible, I'll add it.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #43

I think the auto stop by blue ox will work on different tow bars beside blue ox like the ready brake these surge brakes may be the most dependable yes I used brake buddy for years I know they are very good but not 100% they can move and receiver signal can malfunction
Old 11-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
Has anyone had experience with the BLUE OX "Autostop" braking system? It is a surge brake type attachment that attaches to your tow bar and activates the Toad brakes. I'm trying to do research into the many types of auxiliary braking systems to decide what to buy.
Anyone ever used this one?
Thanks
We have the Blue Ox Patriot system. Worked fine for about a year. Since then we've had to mail it back twice for repair. Should get it back anytime. Said they replaced the circuit board this time. They stand behind their product but I wonder if we just got a bad one. Have not seen anywhere that anyone else had problems with theirs. If I had it to do over I would get one of those that are permanently mounted under the seat and just flip a switch when needed.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #45
7 Year Class A RV'er

You'll see several folks through the forum that gave various issues with just about all of the portable systems, but they all seem to stand behind their products. I didn't want the hassle of the portable thing and only gave a single toad vehicle to deal with, so ?I went with the Invisibrake in my Wrangler Unlimited. Installs permanently under the driver seat but can be relocated if the vehicle is sold. There was even a video on their website showing installation in my exact vehicle. It triggers off the coach's brake lights so all that's involved at hookup is a single umbilical from coach to jeep and the breakaway cable clip. With the Jeep, there are no fuses to pull as the wheel doesn't lock. Just put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in Park and let the emergency brake off. I had a mechanic friend install the Invisibrake but it's not a complicated install at all, I'm just too old and fat to crawl around and do it! ��

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMulcahy View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. Seems like it is better safe than sorry, but my local dealer wants to charge me $1450 for the Patriot w/install. I can get the unit for $1k on Amazon. Installation looks easy.

So the dealer wants $450+ for the install. WTH! Am i missing something?
While that sounds high there are things to install that would take some time. For instance, do you have unstitched 12-volt power inside your toad? You'll need power to operate the system. If you don't have it, that will need to be installed.

Also the system comes with a break away that needs to be installed at your front bumper with a wire run into your vehicle through the firewall.

Lastly did you have brake lights and turn signals installed with your baseplate? If not you'll need this too.

We did everything ourselves and it was pretty easy. Time consuming but not too difficult.

PS. These do come up on eBay pretty frequently, too.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #47

I would be very careful with anything else this dealer may be telling you;
Most states require a brake system on a trailer above 1000# some 1500#, but last I was aware of ALL states require a "supplemental braking system on all motorhome towing a car!"
So contact your insurance company and your local motor vehicle office and they will be able to clear it up for you in your state.
Hope this helps and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #48
I Break Everything

We have Blue Ox Patriot. It's only around $1000. That's chump change when RVing. Well not really but the set up is expensive. That's one thing the dealer won't tell you. Tow bars, Base Plates. Wiring and Brakes, then other accessories to follow. Do the brakes.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle, brakes