Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

Towing a Honda CRV

I'm thinking about changing my toad from a 2011 Subaru Imprezza 5sp to a 2013/14 Honda CRV. The Subaru has been a great tow vehicle but because it's a manual transmission neither me or my wife want to drive it full time. Up until a few months ago my son was driving it when we where not using it on the RV however since he got his own Subaru it is now mostly sitting outside of my house and gets used occasionally. At this point I'd like to downsize from 3 vehicles to 2 which means my toad would also be used as a primary vehicle by my wife.

Is anyone using this make and year vehicle as a toad? If so how well is it working for you and did you do the base plate work yourself?

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
As you can see in our signature we have one. Just finished our second year of using it. Not one problem, have had a charge line I installed to the toad since day one.

I had a friend with a body shop remove the front clip and mount the base plate. Couldnít argue with $75.00 to do the job. Only took them 1.5 hrs start to finish. Didnít look hard but they do it everyday. If I didnít have a source, I would have taken on the challenge. Etrailer has great step by step videos of base plate installation on 2014 CR-V.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
As you can see in our signature we have one. Just finished our second year of using it. Not one problem, have had a charge line I installed to the toad since day one.

I had a friend with a body shop remove the front clip and mount the base plate. Couldnít argue with $75.00 to do the job. Only took them 1.5 hrs start to finish. Didnít look hard but they do it everyday. If I didnít have a source, I would have taken on the challenge. Etrailer has great step by step videos of base plate installation on 2014 CR-V.
For $75 i would absolutely pay someone to do it if they had experience! What type of base-plate did you have installed?
Old 11-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #4

In our signature, Blue Ox baseplate and a Ready Brute Elite tow bar. Didnít ask the labor charge before they did the work, just paid him what he ask for.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #5

Thanks. By chance, do you know how many inches off the ground the connection points are for towbar? One of the reasons I'm looking to change is to gain a few more inch's of ground clearance for the towbar.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

My connection points are 16" to the center from the ground. 2014 CRV tows well. I too have an auxiliary power cord as I found the invisibrake braking system which is supposed to keep battery charged when lights on coach are on was not charging enough. Probably due to the CRV navigation system draining to much power. Some day I will put in fuse bypass. I used blue ox base plate and tow bar and installed base plate myself, not a real hard job but took me five hours. What I did was go to e-trailer and got the install video and took tablet out to shop and followed step by step instructions. I would not want to attempt taking apart all those plastic pieces without that. CRV tows well and only takes a few minutes to go through procedure for towing, shifting through gears, leaving in drive for three minutes then neutral. 2014 is the last year you can tow CRV due to changes in transmission. As I mentioned it tows well but my next step is to install rear sway bar and steering stabilizer, I was told motorhome drives like a car after that upgrade.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Thanks. By chance, do you know how many inches off the ground the connection points are for towbar? One of the reasons I'm looking to change is to gain a few more inch's of ground clearance for the towbar.
I have a 2014 CRV AWD and the same set up as Clover Dog and no problems at all. I installed the baseplate, wiring, brake and brake-away. I opted to put a switch in line with the Auxiliary fuse to isolate the auxiliary circuit when towing.
If you go onto the blue Ox website and go to baseplates and select your cars year and make it will tell you the hight of the tab - on my 2014 CRV it is 15.5"

Find a Baseplate | Blue Ox | Blue Ox
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #8

2014 AWD Honda CRV towable??

I thought the 2014 AWD Honda CRV was not towable. Now I am confused
ClaireJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
The 2014 CR-V was the last year that they were towable. We have a 2014 that we have towed over 9000 miles since last May 2016 with no problem whatsoever. The owners manual does give some restrictions, however. Do not tow over 65 mph. Before towing there is a procedure that needs to be done to insure that the transmission gets sufficient lubricant...This takes about 4-5 minutes total. If you tow for more than 8 hours, you need to repeat the procedure again. We very seldom tow for that long in a day, so we rarely have to repeat the procedure. After 30,000 miles they recommend that the transmission fluid be replaced. Good tow vehicle...works great for us.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #10

We have towed an 08 crv for several years. We use an SMI brake system which an easy hook up to tow. I use 7 pin plug includes a 12 volt hot lead used to keep the crv battery charged; no by passes or fuses to deal with
larry pw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
It is, we have towed for 2 years with no problems.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
I too have an auxiliary power cord as I found the invisibrake braking system which is supposed to keep battery charged when lights on coach are on was not charging enough. Probably due to the CRV navigation system draining to much power. Some day I will put in fuse bypass.
You can turn off navigation while towing.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
Bill & Janet

We love our 2013 CRV. Can't even tell when it's behind us. We use the RVibrake 2 system with the RVi towed battery charger. Really didn't need the battery charger but it is nice knowing it's there. Had to bring a parsley 12 V from the 7 pin to 6 pin umbilical cord but was not hard to do. What's not fortunate enough to pay $75 for installation of the base plate, but it was well worth the $200 did pay to friend who has his own auto repair business. Was his first install and took him about four hours or so.

It is the wife's everyday car and she loves how it drives and handles also. So I say go for it.

km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #14

My 09 Element, like itís near twin, the CRV is a dream to hook up with the Falcon II and tow with the Invisibrake. I use a 1Ē lift on the hitch to maintain level between the hitch and front hook up. The Roadmastet book says stay within 3 degrees across the hitch front to back.
Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #15

We flat tow a 2014 CRV..had it made ready for towing at Uhaul. They installed everything. Complete Blue Ox setup, including the Patriot brake that goes in the car.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing