Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #1

Towing Advice: SS 2900 & Jeep Cherokee

Recently purchased a 2009 Sunseeker 2900 Ford E350 and want to get my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport set up for dinghy towing.

Considering a Blue Ox baseplate and ReadyBrute ReadyBrake Elite. Budget is an issue. Will be installing baseplate myself but willing to pay for pro install of braking system.

I have a Class III hitch on the MH (I assume it's Class III - 5,000 lbs, 500 tongue weight)

Would like to hear from others towing Jeeps/ Jeep Cherokees. My uncle has a Class A w/ CRV toad and seems to think my Jeep is way too heavy and is going to be nothing but a headache.

My understanding is Jeeps make excellent toads because the drive train can be disengaged for 4 down towing. Gross weight is about 3500 lbs according to what I've read.

Help and thoughts appreciated!

Alison (Pyrate)
Newfie & Great Dane co-pilots
blythepyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

I tow a '09 Wrangler, very easy to hooked up and prep for towing. I am not sure how to prep a Cherokee though.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

I have a 2001 Cherokee and pull it 4 down with my E450 Sunseeker. I installed the blue ox system myself, including the blue ox braking system. The braking system was a pain to install
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #4

I use the ready brute elite, super simple install. Took about an hour on my 99 Wrangler. Very happy with my setup.
lowreyfarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #5

I also use a Ready Brute Elite with the built in surge brake to tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler behind my Georgetown. My Jeep Wrangler weighs just under 4000 pounds, and uses a Blue Ox baseplate. The baseplate came with clear instructions and took a couple hours to install.

With the Ready Brute Elite there is very little to install, as the surge brake is built into the towbar. The brake installation consists of a mechanical cable linkage from the front of the jeep through the firewall to the brake pedal. There is also a brake light wire that you can install to the RV dashboard to indicate when the Ready Brute surge brake is activated.

The Ready Brute Elite works well, and costs less than a separate tow bar and braking system.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #6

Thanks all, the input is much appreciated!

I am sold on the setup Blue Ox/Ready Brute Elite. I'll let you know how the install goes.

tmhyer: anything unique to towing a 2001 Cherokee Sport you could share? I've looked at the owner's manual but I'm still not clear on how to disengage the drive train for towing. Could you share your procedure?

Alison
Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blythepyrate View Post
Thanks all, the input is much appreciated!

I am sold on the setup Blue Ox/Ready Brute Elite. I'll let you know how the install goes.

tmhyer: anything unique to towing a 2001 Cherokee Sport you could share? I've looked at the owner's manual but I'm still not clear on how to disengage the drive train for towing. Could you share your procedure?

Alison
I cannot remember if it was the case back in 2001 but today its seems that jeep has about a dozen (slight exaggeration!) types of 4WD systems. Some are flat towable without mods and some are not. Sorry no specific knowledge of your 2001 but just something to watch for...
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Congratulations on your new motorhome! We love our 2900. A few weeks ago, we dragged a 2007 GMC Envoy behind our 2900 for a 4000 mile trip. We were quite near the hitch rating, the toad weighed 4960 lbs. and the hitch is rated 5000 lbs. That was with the toad full of gasoline and a partial load of stuff. I use the rear view camera to make sure the Envoy is still there because I forget it is there.
I am a rabid DIY type, but the brake system was not a big deal, a long afternoon running wires for lights & the disconnect, plus the baseplate. Ours has a switch to disengage the transfer case, so I can't comment on your Jeep in that regard.
Starry2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #9

Alison, my owners manual has very clear instructions for flat towing my 01 Cherokee. Mine is an automatic transmission and 4x4. Put the transmission in nuetral, put the transfer case in nuetral, put transmission in park. Keep key turned to acc position so steering wheel wont lock, but not turned as far as the on position where all the dash lights come on.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #10

This is from my owners manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412645439013.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	64220   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412645457964.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	64222  
Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #11

Thanks Tmhyer, I looked again and it is clearer to me now. I think I'm just nervous about the newness of all this and love my Cherokee don't want to damage. Main thing seems to be keep engine off. Thank you for your help!

Base plate and Ready brake install is Sat! Will post pics.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #12

Baseplate went on just fine, but it turns out getting a clear line from the brake pedal to run the line for the surge brake is a problem.
on the 2001 Cherokee. I'm having to drive 80 miles to an installer of the ReadyBrake after calling the company for advice.

Tags
base plate, cherokee, jeep, sunseeker, tow bars, towing