Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #1

Towing vehicle, flat, dolly or trailer?

Looking for input on towing vehicle behind Forester. We have a FWD 2012 chrysler and a 71 Cutlass RWD. We feel the classic should be towed on our Big Tex trailer. The 2012 Chrysler is not designed to be flat towed so we assume our options are the trailer or get a tow dolly. We like the ACMe dollies. Anyone have experience with this dolly?also worst case scenario we will need to buy a car so we could flat tow, which is our preference. Any medium car suggestions?

Thanks,
Frank & Katie
Kchamp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

We bought a new Kia Soul & a reconditioned dolly. Towed 1800 miles from Florida to Maine. Didn't notice the car back there at all. Our unit is a 2801QS Forester. We love the KIA
golfersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #3

If you buy a car to flat tow be very careful with your selection. Many that were flat towable a few model years back are no longer towable. One example is Honda CR-V which is a popular toad. 2015 and later are not towable.

Even different powertrains of the same model can be towable or not. We just bought a 2016 Ford Edge and will flat tow it. The 3.5 liter is towable but the 2.0 liter turbo is not because it has a different transmission.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #4

I bought a 2014 Subaru Outback with a 6-spd to tow. I like that it can do mild off-roading, is pretty light at 3500 pounds, and can be flat towed. We looked at a Jeep but people want a million dollars for a beat to death YJ.

I don't understand when people say they don't realize a car is back there. I know for sure I am towing because when I hit a big hill I have to go to the floor to keep speed up. I drove across the country last year not towing a car and even over the rockies never had to go to the floor and now towing I am on the floor a lot. Gas mileage is about the same though, right around 8 whether towing or not.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
I bought a 2014 Subaru Outback with a 6-spd to tow. I like that it can do mild off-roading, is pretty light at 3500 pounds, and can be flat towed. We looked at a Jeep but people want a million dollars for a beat to death YJ.

I don't understand when people say they don't realize a car is back there. I know for sure I am towing because when I hit a big hill I have to go to the floor to keep speed up. I drove across the country last year not towing a car and even over the rockies never had to go to the floor and now towing I am on the floor a lot. Gas mileage is about the same though, right around 8 whether towing or not.

We bought a 2011 Subaru Imprezza Outback Sport with a 5sp manual for similar reasons. I was actually looking at 2014 Outback's but decided to go a bit older and smaller as this was our first toad and it seemed to make sense. Also, I agree on the Jeep's. Too much $$ and reliability is questionable. Although, the way things are going, we may not have much choice in the near future for toad choices. On flat ground it does take longer to get up to speed, but at 65 on a straight road you can hardly tell it's there. We intentionally did not tow it into the mountains in CO as we wanted to do the shortest drive possible and using the RV while towing a car would have just taken too long so we opted just to use the car and a hotel.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchamp40 View Post
Looking for input on towing vehicle behind Forester. We have a FWD 2012 chrysler and a 71 Cutlass RWD. We feel the classic should be towed on our Big Tex trailer. The 2012 Chrysler is not designed to be flat towed so we assume our options are the trailer or get a tow dolly. We like the ACMe dollies. Anyone have experience with this dolly?also worst case scenario we will need to buy a car so we could flat tow, which is our preference. Any medium car suggestions?

Thanks,
Frank & Katie

Update: instead of buying another vehicle we purchased the ACMe hydraulic brake tow dolly. We can never tow our classic but at least, hopefully, we can tow my Chrysler convertible!
Kchamp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #7

we just got the Acme tow dolly for our 2016 Ford Fiesta. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but will post up results when i do.

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #8

I brought a 2016 Chevy Equinox for my toad. It is AWD and auto pulls great. You just have to pull one fuse and it is ready to be flat towed. I did have to hook up my brake buddy directly to the battery.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #9

TOAD Pulling

We too use an ACME tow dolly for our new CR-V. It's FWD, and I just like the idea of pulling on a dolly. Don't want to hassle with towing plates, changing with new cars, etc. just pull up on the dolly and go. Much cheaper in my opinion.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #10

How much air are you using in the rear bags when towing a car on a dolly?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:09 AM   #11

I also have the Acme dolly and it is great. Just got back from a 4000 mile trip. They only problem was one of the tie down straps separated at the seam. Good idea to have a spare set of straps.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #12

I tow a 16 Accord on a EzTow as well. I keep the bags at 70 lbs.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #13

Tow the Un-towable

In 2011, we bought a Chevy Cruz as Chevy said it was towable. Two months later, we get an update. Your car is NOT towable.
We purchased a lube pump from Remco (via Camping World). CW installed it and an Invisibrake unit. We have towed it ever since. Works great.
I just sold the old RV and we take delivery of a 2018 Forester 3011DS on about August 28 in Ohio. We are driving from Green Valley, AZ to Lakeview, OH. RVW will install the RV portion of the Remco product and we start our adventure.
Anyway, I just wanted to mention another option for towing your existing vehicle.
Psadave46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #14

We tow a 2015 Equinox behind our 2016 Forester 3011DS. It tows 4 wheels down on a Blue Ox tow bar. Installed SMI braking system on the car. Have had only one problem with the brake sensitivity knob on the on /off box. A little tricky hooking and unhooking at first, it's a breeze though once you do it a couple of times. Otherwise works great. Barely know it's back there. Only compliant is that both systems are pretty pricey. But hey it's just a few more dollars to throw into that RVing black hole.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #15

Towed for the first time this week. Acme tow dolly with surge brakes towing a Ford Fiesta. No issues other than the straps stretching and needing to be tightened up a couple times Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1878.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	575.9 KB
ID:	147831

Old 08-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #16

I have a 2018 Forester 3011DS and we tow a 2014 Ford Edge. We have a blue ox tow bar and the patriot II brake for the toad. Everything works great.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:15 AM   #17

We haul a 2006 Camry on our Acme.

On the Acme dolly, don't tighten the straps to much. The car needs to move around a little on the dolly.

I wish I had a way to quantify "How much" is "To Much".. I snug mine up when I first load it, then stop 10-15 minutes later and snug them again. After that, I check them at each stop.

I specifically look to see if the strap is loose, i.e. any play in it when I pull on it a little. (are the hooks lose) I don't automatically crank on the ratchet to get a couple more clicks on it.

ALSO -ACME is constantly changing (improving) their product. On the version I had, the ramps could jump out of the loops when loading/unloading. Newer versions don't have a "Loop" for the ramps, but instead have a notch cut in the metal that the ramps hook to.

I added a latch to the ramp to prevent it from doing this.

Acme EZE-TOW dolly ramps pop off while loading / unloading – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

I painted two small orange guide stripes on the dolly. One for our Camry and the other for our old Civic.

When I load the car, I have my head looking out the window to make sure I'm on the ramp and then drive onto the dolly so the drivers side tire just touches the stripe. If I do this, the car is centered perfectly. You can see the orange stripes in the photos on my web site.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrawgator View Post
I have a 2018 Forester 3011DS and we tow a 2014 Ford Edge. We have a blue ox tow bar and the patriot II brake for the toad. Everything works great.

Right on!!!! Towed with this exact system for years and it always worked perfectly. Prior to going with this system, I took one trip with a dolly--what a pain in the rear end! Once was ENOUGH!!!!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #19
Chief tinkerer

Waiter, I don't remember if I posted already, but we use an electric brake Stehl and added this simple safety mod to the hooks. Also, when we unload, just loosen the crank and slip the straps off, leaving the hook connected to simplify if we are on a short trip. 13000 trouble free miles. 
Name:   3CB50422-D9E0-4CF8-A45A-49C14C75403B.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  15.3 KB

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:50 AM   #20

Flat tow a 2014 CRV with the Blue OX system. Love all of it except the auto braking system. I understand there are better options now.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer