Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #1

TPMS and Valve Stems

I recently replaced all the tires on my 2015 3010. The tech removed the extenders on the valves on the rear tires. He said he’s seen too many problems with leaking and recommended keeping them off and just removing the hub cap when needing to fill tires.
So I’m thinking of getting the tst 507 system and wanted to make sure the sensors work without having to put the extenders back on. I’m thinking there’s plenty of room under the hubcap, but wanted to be sure. Any input appreciated. Thanks
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Can't say about the fit, but with a metal wheel and a metal hub cap, you will likely have connection issues with those sensors.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Can't say about the fit, but with a metal wheel and a metal hub cap, you will likely have connection issues with those sensors.
And maybe wrong temp readings as well...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #4

Mine has just enough stem to get an air chuck on them. TST sensors work fine. I can reach through the wheel holes to remove the sensors (easier after I removed the security cap).
Old 03-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
mads

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol108 View Post
I recently replaced all the tires on my 2015 3010. The tech removed the extenders on the valves on the rear tires. He said he’s seen too many problems with leaking and recommended keeping them off and just removing the hub cap when needing to fill tires.
So I’m thinking of getting the tst 507 system and wanted to make sure the sensors work without having to put the extenders back on. I’m thinking there’s plenty of room under the hubcap, but wanted to be sure. Any input appreciated. Thanks
I had trouble with 3 different TPMS that were external - leaking; valve stems; etc. Got the Dill internal one - a little bit more expensive - and have had no problems for several thousand mile. Check with Discount Tire to see if they can give you a quote including installation.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

I use the TST 507 system and like it. Wheel master sells all kinds of valve stem extensions and I've used them with success. I don't like having to take off my wheel covers to check my pressure. If you use an extension be sure it doesnt
Rub against the wheel cover because it will wear through giving you a rapid air loss. I learned this the hard way. Also the Dicor Corp sells plastic snap in valve stem stabilizers that are great. Phone 574 264 2699 to see if they have them for your application. Good luck!
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #7

I've had endless problems with valve stem extenders on my DP. I'm currently at the tireshop - they're installing long, one-piece valve stems that will reach from my inner dual out through the outer dual. Surely something like this could be done to give you access on your RV...
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #8

I use the EEZ TPMS on my Coachmen Class C, Ford 350 chassis, with no extenders and have had no problems in 15k miles. I do not use the security cap (company made suggestion) as that adds less bulk, and I have no problem getting them off and on or filling air without taking the hubcap off.
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Old Engineer

I am using the TST Flow Through sensors on my duals with metal valve stem extensions, no problems.

I would be concerned about signal issues if they were under the hubcap/wheel covers.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsledet View Post
I had trouble with 3 different TPMS that were external - leaking; valve stems; etc. Got the Dill internal one - a little bit more expensive - and have had no problems for several thousand mile. Check with Discount Tire to see if they can give you a quote including installation.

Yep same here... I gave up on using external sensors with the stainless wheel inserts... just couldn 't make it work. First on my Sunseeker and then on my Forester... so I ordered the Dill Air internal setup and works great! I used the banded approach to mount the sensor

1506-453 Trailer TPMS System With 6 Sensors
and then I ordered custom one piece valves
Part # DL1FC Chrome Dually Valve Kit Ford E450 2007-Present, Accu-Pressure Safety Products, Inc.

trouble free and works great...and easy to add air anytime without removing wheel inserts or anything.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsledet View Post

I just looked up the dill system, and looking at the picture, it appears to have the same type of sensor as the external. Can you explain what exactly the difference is? Thanks
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
I just looked up the dill system, and looking at the picture, it appears to have the same type of sensor as the external. Can you explain what exactly the difference is? Thanks

So the Dill Air sensors are INTERNAL... meaning they do NOT screw on to your valve stems... so there is no chance of leakage, theft or anything else and you do not need to remove them when adding air, which is a PITA, believe me. Been there, done that. There are two ways to mount the Dill Air sensors, either by securing the valve stems to the wheel where they come to the outside of the wheel's valve stem hole like any other valve stem, but the black part stays inside the wheel. But you cannot use this approach with the Sunseeker's stainless steel wheel inserts. Not without removing an insert every time you want to add air and only a masochist would do that more than once.

So you either forget the stainless inserts or buy new custom wheels and then you STILL have the problem with the inside dually. There is just no good way to make them work. That is why I used the banded approach... See the sensor in the photo below mounted on a band around the inside of the wheel. With this approach you do NOT add air thru the Dill Air valve stems - those are hidden inside the wheel. That is why I recommended the extended valve stems from duallyvalve.com which are a perfect fit more or less for Ford wheels on the Sunseeker (and the Forester). These are one piece and require no extensions - they protrude out the holes in the wheel and thru the stainless inserts enough to bve accessible and they include the rubber donuts to stabilize the long valve stems from the inside duallies. It is a trick setup... And then I have the little 12v power display screen on my dash so I can keep an eye on the tire pressures as we drive down the highway.

I hope this explanation suffices... any other questions, send me a private message and I will email back my phone number

2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #13
mads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
So the Dill Air sensors are INTERNAL... meaning they do NOT screw on to your valve stems... so there is no chance of leakage, theft or anything else and you do not need to remove them when adding air, which is a PITA, believe me. Been there, done that. There are two ways to mount the Dill Air sensors, either by securing the valve stems to the wheel where they come to the outside of the wheel's valve stem hole like any other valve stem, but the black part stays inside the wheel. But you cannot use this approach with the Sunseeker's stainless steel wheel inserts. Not without removing an insert every time you want to add air and only a masochist would do that more than once.

So you either forget the stainless inserts or buy new custom wheels and then you STILL have the problem with the inside dually. There is just no good way to make them work. That is why I used the banded approach... See the sensor in the photo below mounted on a band around the inside of the wheel. With this approach you do NOT add air thru the Dill Air valve stems - those are hidden inside the wheel. That is why I recommended the extended valve stems from duallyvalve.com which are a perfect fit more or less for Ford wheels on the Sunseeker (and the Forester). These are one piece and require no extensions - they protrude out the holes in the wheel and thru the stainless inserts enough to bve accessible and they include the rubber donuts to stabilize the long valve stems from the inside duallies. It is a trick setup... And then I have the little 12v power display screen on my dash so I can keep an eye on the tire pressures as we drive down the highway.

I hope this explanation suffices... any other questions, send me a private message and I will email back my phone number

Great answer. I did not use the bands and it works just like all the one that are installed in all new cars. Bst way to go and well worth the extra money.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
Old Engineer

If the Dill Air sensors are mounted internally, how often do the wheels and tires need to be dismounted to replace the batteries?

I am making the assumption that they are battery powered, but I don't know that they are for a fact.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
mads

No more often than any car on the road - they all are internal and are basically the same as the Dill one. I have never had to replace one on a car including one car we had for over 10 years.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #16

Quote:
I have the TechnoRV TST. The valve that you attach to your wheel is wider than your normal tire valve. I don't know if you would be able to put the wheel cover on. Best to heck.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker, tpms, valve