Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2021, 10:56 PM   #1

Trim and Cabinets

2019 Sunseeker 286ODS owner. Just bought her used, not bad shape, but the Cabinets and lots of corners, well pretty much everything is covered in it, Very thin Fake wood Vanier, its peeling at edges everywhere. Has anyone used a wallpaper steamer to remove theirs? If so how did the repaint go. Any good pointers? For the time Being I just hit the loose pieces with superglue.

thanks for any info.
billcrews81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #2

You might try the search function at the top of the page and see what pops up I have not ever dealt with this problem good luck. Let the forum know how you remove or fix the problem.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Peeling

Your plight is a common issue. Some folks have “redecorated” by painting. That could be problematic if you remove the vinyl covering due to the wall board used under it.

You do not need to do a full forum search to find threads on the subject. They are right here in this section where you can read what folks with Forester/Sunseeker units did to address the problem. Here is one from earlier this year:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2489614

Within that thread you will find a post I made that includes a link to an earlier thread in which there is a response from the Class C production manager.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #4

Appreciate it Duck and Sea dog, I spent several hours last night all over the web looking for answers but nothing of real help. but its not the covering on the walls, its the thin fake wood layer on the cabinets and all "wood" in the unit. Ill have to take photos today.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcrews81 View Post
2019 Sunseeker 286ODS owner. Just bought her used, not bad shape, but the Cabinets and lots of corners, well pretty much everything is covered in it, Very thin Fake wood Vanier, its peeling at edges everywhere. Has anyone used a wallpaper steamer to remove theirs? If so how did the repaint go. Any good pointers? For the time Being I just hit the loose pieces with superglue.

thanks for any info.
I have no easy solution for your peeling problem, but I’m curious as to what were the storage or usage conditions of this relatively new motorhome. Was it kept outdoors in high heat and humidity? We have a Sunseeker built in 2019 and it has no problems with peeling as you described. Ours is not stored outdoors.

The matching “seam tape” covering can be purchased from Forest River through a Forest River dealer, if it is still available in your colors. I have spare wood grain in a 24” width roll, and spare wall covering in a 4’ width roll.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #6

The vinyl is applied with glue, wallpaper is applied with water soluble paste.
Do not try to stream it off.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Appreciate it Duck and Sea dog, I spent several hours last night all over the web looking for answers but nothing of real help. but its not the covering on the walls, its the thin fake wood layer on the cabinets and all "wood" in the unit. Ill have to take photos today.
I understand what you are asking about. I used the term “wall board” generically. It is pretty much all the same. My peeling was at seams on the front cabinets, bathroom door in 3 places, over door stereo cabinet and facia. The answer is the same. I had no actual wall covering peeling.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #8

I believe this was a Humidity and quality issue. The RV was originally from Ark. Spent two years there. Sold here in FW Tx to me. MTBilker made a good point, steam would more than likely cause issues with the Board that its adhered too and cause it to separate. Hair dryer would probably work best.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #9

For Sea Dog,Go Navy...
Old 12-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Commercial Member

can you please provide the last six of your vin number. I would like to see what cabinets you have in your coach.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:56 PM   #11

C42253 nearly every cabinet has some peeling starting at the edges.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:55 PM   #12

2020 Sunseeker 2440 DS

I’ve used Gorilla Glue Clear Grip silicone adhesive with great results. Use a small amount with a thin applicator like a knife blade. Press in place for a minute or two. Good to go. Hope this helps.
Tonyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Hair dryer would probably work best.
You are probably not going to like what you find under that veneer. I know it's frustrating because the glue in our rv started to break down in our Houston heat. I spent lots of hours gluing veneer back down using clear Gorilla glue, but it was worth it.
You also might want to check the roof and windows to make certain you have no leaks.

Tags
cabinets