Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

TV/Cable/sat wiring

Would anyone be able to point me to a wiring diagram or instructions for connecting a sat (Tailgater) via the cable input on my 2801?

Also any idea of the connections (HDMI etc) in where I assume the sat receiver will go open compartment?

It would appear little money was spent on model specific manuals and no wiring diagrams of any sort were in my "package".

Thanks.
2003-12 1997 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016-17 2016 Forest River Forester 2801 QSF class C
2017 2018 Renegade Verona 36VSB Super C
AncientMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #2

On my 3100SS, I use a flat coax wire through a window to connect to my TailGater. Use HDMI from sat box to TV. Going to use a HDMI signal splitter and make up/run a HDMI line to bed room TV. HDMI is nothing more than Cat5.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:53 AM   #3

On the 3051 the tv and associated wiring connections are in the bunk over the cab. They are on the left side on a support that has 110-v plugs, tv antenna power amp, 12-v tv plug and a plate with 3-coax connections. There is a short jumper coax between the top and bottom coax connectors.

Outside on the back left side is the cable tv / portable sat dish connection (one coax input you can use for both).

To connect the Tailgater you connect the main rg6 cable from the tailgater to this cable/sat input.

Then inside you run a rg6 coax from the top coax connection on the 3-coax plate to the sat input of your receiver. Obviously you remove the short jumper coax first.

From there it depends on what you want to do. Most run an HDMI cable from the sat receiver to the tv - and then a rg6 coax cable from the tv out on the back of the receiver to the bottom coax input on the 3-coax plate. This sends sat tv to the other tvs in the RV.

The unused middle connection on the plate? It is for a sat dish on the roof. There is a connection up on the roof that terminates there.

Hopefully the 2801 is somewhat similar.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #4

Unfortunately the 2801 is not wired like the 3051.

I have the cable/sat jack outside and a single jack inside with no jumpers etc. My new Tailgater will be here today, and if I am lucky, the coach is wired correctly with the splitters in the right data stream.

I'll keep you all posted as I progress.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello you can not have splitters in the dish connection. Need a cable direct to the receiver to work. The receiver sends different voltages/frequencies to run the dish.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

BandB is correct. Takes 45 volts to tailgator. Your 2801 sounds like my 3100SS. I use a flat coax through a window to connect to box. Going to add a box near TV in front to hook Tailgator to. Later going to use a HDMI splitter and run a Cat5 line to bedroom for HDMI there. Will be same signal on both TVs, but will be ok.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #7

I know you all have been waiting expectantly for the answer LOL!

Before hooking it up to the coach, I made sure everything in *MY* data stream worked, which it did.

Next step, place receiver in the aloted spot where the HDMI wall plug was located as well as the cable/sat in (or what I *think* it is). First off, no power outlets. Will put something in another day.

Turned on receiver, after plugging HDMI out to wall HDMI (in). Voila! sat receiver shows up on the TV HDMI 2 input.

Next I hook up RG-6 to cable/sat in, outside (you know where this is going) and no surprise, it doesn't work.

Since I am leaving Mon. morn for a 2000 mile trip, I'll live with a wire through the window for now.

Also since I know Joshua and others will see this, I have to add for the benefit of FR that there is NO, absolutely NO reason in this tech savy world that we have to put up with this type of wiring (I haven't even begun to dig into the terrible Jensen AV system with surround for RADIO, but not TV. Guess my theater seats will not see a theater) and to top it off, the dealers know nothing about electronics and there are no wiring diagrams or schematics.

Shame on you FR. But, in your defense, you're better than many other brands I looked at. Why not join the 21st century and put wiring diagrams on-line for 24/7 access plus other FAQs by model?

Many thanks to all the suggestions and help. Hopefully we can learn from all this.

Paul
Old 12-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #8

Hey AM. One of the reps here did post a detailed SAT diagram for the 3051S a while back. I used it to set up mine. But I think it was only for that specific model. Maybe that's all that was requested in that thread.

It doesn't help you any, but on our unit, we have cable connections, power connections and even rooftop SAT connections right next to the TV. On the side of the coach there is only a Cable TV connection - but it also works with the SAT antenna without any issues.

My 2015 model utilizes the Jensen dash mounted stereo/DVD/GPS to play movies on the living room TV. And the surround speakers and subwoofer does work with it on DVD. The bedroom TV has a built in DVD player but there are no external speakers there. The Outside TV, will show over the air TV from the antenna, the cable hook up or the sat receiver. So that's covered and it has it's own DVD player/stereo/speakers too.

The 2016 version changes a bunch of that - mostly all for the better with a separate DVD/Stereo/Bluetooth entertainment system. Outside speakers and speaker switches to change where things are played.

The 3051 still could use a dedicated SAT connection on the side of the coach - right next to the Cable connection. And then a dedicated receiver connection, too. Rather than share everything with the cable connections. But I just installed a SAT dish on my roof today and it was very nice to have a dedicated rooftop SAT connection there that terminated next to the living room TV.

Why they can do all this on some models but not all models, such as yours?? I have no idea.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

Creativrpart, from what he posted, he didn't have the cable switching ability that your model has.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

Creativepart, thanks for all the advice. Yes, I saw your diagram but it is nothing like mine. I don't think I will have any problem getting things to work, my complaint is why should *I* have to do it. Making all that info available is SOOOOO easy today.

Fortunately, mine seems to be a simple hookup if I can find and easily access the connections. Still don't understand the logic of no 110v in the compartment set up for cable box or sat receiver.

FR isn't the only one guilty of such nonsense, Every production RV I've owned had it's own warts lol.

I have to constantly remind myself and my wife that all RVs are a compromise.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #11

AncientMariner, same here. I used one of those strip surge protectors and drilled a hole in the cab. to place all my equipment. I am going to make changes. Drill some holes, run some wire, and add some boxes.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #12

Creativepart, Question- you may have answer my question before but the top wire on black plate cover goes to satellite receiver and the bottom goes to the TV's. Where does the center go? I'll write it down this time. Thanks Oh, are you guys using inverters for the receiver?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	96466  
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #13

Sagcoachdriver. Wish I had that set up, but mine is older. So gives me a reason to do mods. New in box for sat. and HDMI run for bedroom. Easypezzy!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #14

Prior to purchasing our MH, I was trying to figure out how to set up my portable sat system using and old portable DISH, one of the receivers from the house and an inverter. Had a good portable setup in my Winnebago. Unfortunately, everything is on the wrong side in my Forester. It would be easy to have an inverter setup under the sofa near the batteries. But where would I put the receiver and route HDMI to the TV on opposite side of MH? Overhead cabinet over dinette is closest, but on slide out on opposite side. I really don't know how it can be wired as my DW wants NO WIRES SHOWING.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Creativepart, Question- you may have answer my question before but the top wire on black plate cover goes to satellite receiver and the bottom goes to the TV's. Where does the center go? I'll write it down this time. Thanks Oh, are you guys using inverters for the receiver?
That center coax is the one that goes directly to the roof. That is its only use. Put a self powered dish on the roof. Wire it to the input that's already on your roof. And connect your receiver to that middle coax connector.

Set your receiver right there. Plug a HDMI from your receiver to your tv and run a short piece of RG6 cable from your receiver's TV Out to that bottom coax in your photo and you'll have SAT TV on ALL of your tvs. But it will be the same channel on all the tvs.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
That center coax is the one that goes directly to the roof. That is its only use. Put a self powered dish on the roof. Wire it to the input that's already on your roof. And connect your receiver to that middle coax connector.

Set your receiver right there. Plug a HDMI from your receiver to your tv and run a short piece of RG6 cable from your receiver's TV Out to that bottom coax in your photo and you'll have SAT TV on ALL of your tvs. But it will be the same channel on all the tvs.
Thanks Creativepart. Let's see if I have this right??? So top comes from outside cable or sat. Middle comes from roof sat and bottom goes to TV's. So if I use my old portable dish and connect it to the driver's side cable hookup, it will run up to upper plate connection where I run coax to the receiver input. The receiver output to TV will run back to the lower connection on the plate or I could use HDMI directly to the TV. Right?
My dish receiver requires 110v and uses maybe 150 watts. I had it hardwired in my Winnebago and never tried the 12v plug adapter, I could do as you did and just sit the receiver below the TV on the cabover mattress.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #17

You got most of that correct - I'm pretty sure you would have to use the HDMI cable to the living room TV to have any programming there. I think the bottom coax only goes to the bedroom/outside TV. Though I admit I haven't tested that. But the HDMI is so much better and it's right there. So why not.

Also, I notice that using this setup when I'm watching the living room TV the picture is inferior at the other TVs. But if I turn off the living room TV the picture clears up on the two other TVs. I haven't tested this to see if the same is true of the bedroom and outside TV. I've only tested them LivingRm > Bedroom and LivingRm > Outside. I have not tested Bedroom > Outside.

We pretty much ALWAYS stay at a place with electric. We've never boondocked or even stayed at a Walmart or Rest Area (where that's allowed).
Old 12-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #18

One other thing - the only sat receiver that works with the roof top dish is a model VIP 211 (or variants) and a model 411. We happened to already have a 211. And, the 211's remote is IR. So, the remote can change channels "line of sight" in the living room only.

I had this setup in my Arctic Fox Travel Trailer and I wanted the sat recv to be tucked away in a cabinet in the bathroom. So, I purchased a IR to RF converter so the remote would work throughout the TT.

This comes in handy in the Forester because it means I can control the sat recv in the living room from the bedroom. Which make watching TV in bed much easier.

As I said, I already had this - so I've never tried using the standard IR remote in the bedroom. I don't know if it would work. But this setup also makes it so I can watch TV outside while grilling and still control the channel with the remote.

The IR to RF converter has a funny single AAA battery replacement that you put in the remote. Somehow, it knows what button you are pushing on the remote and sends it via RF to a small receiver with an antenna that I put behind the TV. Then there is a wire running from the remote receiver to IR emitters that I attach to the IR sensors on the SAT Receiver. And somehow this rube goldburg system works.

It runs off of AC power and it has a charger built in for the AAA battery replacement and they give you a 2nd battery too. So one is always charging.

Here's the converter that does this: http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio.../dp/B000C1Z0HA
Old 12-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #19

Creative...is this a Dish tv setup?
2005 37ft Monaco Knight (lemon Lawed)
2008 40ft Monaco Diplomat (too big)
2016 Forester 3011 (ordered June 8th - Born Aug 6) IT'S HERE
vwexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #20

Creativepart, we are the opposite and dry camp 90% of the time. We hardly ever use the TV when camping. Our favorite spot is Yosemite Valley with no hookups and trees blocking the sat's When we travel and have hookups, they usually have cable and or OTA local channels. Last time I set up the portable sat dish was in Quartzite in the Winnebago. The DW was hoping someone wpould walk away with it.
When we ordered the Forester originally, we only had the living room TV and opted out for the bedroom and outdoor ones. But when the problem with 2016 production issues arose with the driveline, the dealer offered us a fully loaded Forester at a fantastic price. Must admit that we have used both the bedroom and outdoor TV's once in our 4 trips so far.
And we do have the Dish Vip 211 too!

Tags
wiring