Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #1

TV power

Hi, recently bought our first motorhome which is the 2017 Sunseeker. Our coach has a 42 in Vizio TV above the cab. We have the motorhome plugged into our house in 120 V (20 amp) rec. The TV turns on and then shuts off within seconds. Confused on why it does that. Is the 20 amp not sufficient enough, it would be if the TV was plugged into our living room in the house. Do we need to be plugged into a 30 amp service (should we have on installed specifically for the motorhome)
Also we have a 12 volt plug near the bed for another TV. If we were to purchase a small tv/dvd player for that plug could we use in while dry camping?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Have a great day!
jopedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #2

It sounds like the interconnect between the ignition and or gearshift is thinking you are in motion, Is anything else 110V working if not then it may be your converter or inverter if they are working that I would lean toward my first thought or the TV.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

It shouldn't matter that you are plugged into 20amp. When you get to the point of drawing more power than 20amp the breaker for the house receptacle should trip.

Have you tried to run a extension cord directly to the tv. Another option is to remove all power from the tv, unplug it or turn the breaker off for half a minute then try again. If none of these work I would think the tv needs to be replaced.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #4

...but if that is the factory TV, isn't it 12v?
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
...but if that is the factory TV, isn't it 12v?
Not necessarily.
Many factory tvs are 110v AC.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not necessarily.
Many factory tvs are 110v AC.
On a 2017 Sunseeker? Haven't seen that yet. I thought all Sunseekers came with 12V DC televisions.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #7

I found the answer. There was no manual for the TV but it does state in the coach manual the tv runs on 12VDC and 120 VAC power. It also states the coach must be connected to shore power or the generator has to be running for the TV to work.
Thanks for the help!
jopedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #8

Then it should work for you with you using the adapter for the 20amp rec (shore power).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

It doesn't matter if it's 12vdc or 120vac. In fact all flat panel tv's, which the Vizio is, operate from 12vdc. The ones that plug into 120vac only have a power supply built inside unless it has a power brick. As I suggested before, disconnect all power from the tv for 30 to 60 seconds, then try it again.

I have an older LG 19 inch that will sometimes turn itself on and off when I first turn it on to watch. Once I unplug the tv and plug it back in it resets itself and all is fine until the next time which can be anywhere from a day to several months. There has been a couple of times I had to do it more than once.

Just try it, what can you loose?
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

What Scrapper is so emphatically saying has merit. This article explains why, how and adds a critical step to the über simple process:
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...set-a-vizio-tv
As for all the electrical chatter, if you are plugged in, you are on shore power. Even 15A is more than adequate to run the TV, lights, converter and all your vampires. If you are not plugged in and the TV cycles, it is a 12V TV* and subject to all the nice glitches that low voltage can bring.
On to the 2nd part of the OP. If you have an antenna connection in the Bedroom you are good to go with a 12 TV and DVD combo. Suggestion: If you are going to do “Dry Glamping”, you might want to address your power supply.

*unless you have an inverter.

Tags
power