Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #1

TV replacement. Has anyone?

Has everyone replaced their main TV.
Asking how they hooked it backup due to the fact the power wire is not a normal plug I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Did you have to make any special modifications or will any TV work and just use the wiring from the RV?
Also looking to replace the fuse line on the TV as it has come apart and broke.
Thanks for your time answering my questionClick image for larger version

Name:	20180521_092229.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	172750
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #2

We have replace one TV and installed a new one in the Bedroom. Both are standard TVs. We even move one from the house for outside. I would like to see what your experiencing, maybe a DC TV?
'01 Exiss 300MT Weekender

A wife and two dogs, isn't that enough?
rclogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

My Jensen also went bad, the sound went bad although I can still play it through the in dash radio. Used to repair tvs years ago, opened this one up, found the defective part, only to be told that the part is no longer available...

Anyway, since I do a lot of dry camping, I'd be looking to get another DC tv as a replacement.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #4

thanks

so it is a DC tv? i guess i should take it down and have a look
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

From you photo.....I see it is a Jensen brand TV.

Most Jensen’s are 12v DC, so this is the power cord you’re probably seeing. If you really really don’t need to have a working TV off 12v (dry camping or boondocking) trace the power cord back and you might even find a 110v outlet nearby and then you can replace it with any TV.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #6

If most of your camping is with hookups - electricity, a 115 volt AC tv would work and more reasonable cost wise. Another 12 v DC TV would be best if you do a lot of dry camping, although they are more expensive, and some claim they are "usually" built more ruggedly to take the vibrations experienced in an RV.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

not alot of dry camping, got the tv off the wall and found the connections with just electrical tape holding them no connectors at all?? I will fix this first and see what happens.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #8

We just did a remodel on our wicked kitty. 32 RCA was mounted with a TV mount to a wall. Keeping fingers crossed this will work. We have one strap across the front to hold it in place and keep it from moving to much front to rear. Hope the side to side possible wobble will not break the screws out of the back of the TV. If we have trouble access to the back of the wall is possible so we can screw it directly to the wall.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #9

Do you remember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
My Jensen also went bad, the sound went bad although I can still play it through the in dash radio. Used to repair tvs years ago, opened this one up, found the defective part, only to be told that the part is no longer available...

Anyway, since I do a lot of dry camping, I'd be looking to get another DC tv as a replacement.
Do you remember what the defective component is?

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #10

TV

Teaman here. .................... I bought a 2nd hand Sunseeker 2300 about two years ago. Had a big Jenson swinging from a wall mount (attached to cabinet side), above the entry door. By the time I got it home the big TV had pulled away from the wall quite a bit and was sagging on the far corner. I think the mounting screws had partially stripped out. Then after fully checking everything out, I discovered that the big TV would quit playing after five to ten minutes. After turning it off for awhile, the thing would turn back on OK and play another five or ten minutes.

I removed the big TV and figured out where to install another one. I saw a fella's video online that gave me an idea. He had a 24 foot class C (not Sunseeker) and he mounted a 24 inch TV on a swinging wall mount between the booth and the driver's seat. Looked ideal to me.

So I built a support stand and a shelf for DVD player, etc behind and to the wall side. Installed a small fixed wall mount facing the dinette booth. And installed a 24 inch flat screen TV (115vac model). Powered by a power cord plugged in at the upper door area and run down the wall and behind the front cab seats to the new TV stand. If dry camping, I got a little 150 watt power inverter (?) Only tried with computer so far. Seems to work.

Also, recently installed another TV wall mount on the bedroom wall (by the fridge). Installed a removable shelf for DVD player. Can be removed to access the mattress fully.

That original big Jenson TV was in the wrong place for me for easy viewing. Up high in the loft bed area and also it occupied way too much space up there.

Now that its gone, I have way more storage space (badly needed on a 23 footer).

So yes - it is doable.
Teaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #11

I own a 32" Jensen in my fifthwheel and it is 120 volts I wish it was 12V I put a 22" Vizio in my bedroom and it is 12V led tv it works great and doesn't drain the batteries like the old 12tv I had in my old camper did. it also runs a lot cooler. I'm still looking for a 32 to replace my Jensen as it has lost it's sound also.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitejunky1 View Post
so it is a DC tv? i guess i should take it down and have a look
I bought with no TV's and bought 26 and 32 inch Samsung's for Costco.

Both have external power supplies like a laptop. The 26 is 14.7 VDC and the 32 is like about 19.7.

I plug the 26 straight in to a 12vdc socket ( took modifying power cord. And I run the 32 with a 12 to 19.7 volt DC converter bought on Amazon for about $13 or $15 bingo big TV on 12 volt without paying for the over priced Jensen which was the only big TV I found that was originally sold as 12vdc TV.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I own a 32" Jensen in my fifthwheel and it is 120 volts I wish it was 12V I put a 22" Vizio in my bedroom and it is 12V led tv it works great and doesn't drain the batteries like the old 12tv I had in my old camper did. it also runs a lot cooler. I'm still looking for a 32 to replace my Jensen as it has lost it's sound also.
32 inch Samsung's smart TV. Costco for about$250 and 12 v to 19.7 volt converter about $13-$15 from Amazon.

Works great and will stream data from my phone or hotspot
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #14

Larry - NC, No, I don't remember the defective component, but I looked online, tried cross referencing part numbers, even called Jensen customer service, the whole bit and came up zero. Put the set back together and use the in dash radio hooked up to the aux audio outputs now for the sound.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #15

Nice try

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
Larry - NC, No, I don't remember the defective component, but I looked online, tried cross referencing part numbers, even called Jensen customer service, the whole bit and came up zero. Put the set back together and use the in dash radio hooked up to the aux audio outputs now for the sound.
Sigh. It's not like it was 25 years ago when there wasn't a part number explosion with all the custom parts. You could find what you needed or an NTE equivalent. I'm sure we could both tell stories...

Larry
Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #16

Just for fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
32 inch Samsung's smart TV. Costco for about$250 and 12 v to 19.7 volt converter about $13-$15 from Amazon.

Works great and will stream data from my phone or hotspot
Just for fun, I entered 12v tv into Google. Here are some samplings of the many results:

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/12-volt-tv
Many 19", 22", and 24", some with built-in DVD player. Prices from $118.

Product reviews of 12v TVs and combos
https://campaddict.com/12-volt-tv/

Site specializing in 12v TVs
https://www.12volt-travel.com/12-vol...ons-c-684.html

And of course Amazon, Newegg, BestBuy, and many more.

Larry
Old 05-24-2018, 01:09 AM   #17

TV replacement. Has anyone?

Any tv with external power brick will be low voltage. Maybe 12v, maybe not.

OLED TVs are trending now but use almost twice as much power as LED TVs. This is somewhat important when running off batteries.

Both are a lot more energy efficient than the older LCD TVs with the fluorescent backlight. And way more effluent that those CRTs.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/led-...ectricity-cost
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #18

We took both of our smaller jensen 12volt tvs out and mounted articulating arms in three different places (living room, bedroom, and outside). We went with a larger 39 or 40 inch smart tv instead. We fulltime and happen to love watching as a family. If we are dry camping we just watch directvnow, netflix, hulu, etc on our laptops/tablets or plug the tv into a plug-in inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180524_153503.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	173203   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180524_153339.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	173204  
kmergen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags