Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2022, 06:06 PM   #1

Undetermined source Popcorn sounding Noise/rattle

When hooked up to 30 amp power and house battery kill switch on, we hear an intermittent clicking or popping sound that seems to be coming from in or around the battery compartment. Any idea what that might be? Thanks, Joe
joeboonebicba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't think I can help but I know potential helpers will want to know the year, make, model of your unit.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:39 PM   #3

Popping

Thanks KC. The sound we hear is not when traveling but set up and hooked up. I was thinking some kind of relay or something. Working on pinpointing exactly where it's coming from. Thanks
Old 11-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Can you hear this noise if the engine is running, but you’re not moving……say….just at idle in a parking lot?

Trying to determine if the sound is from the “motor” part of your rig s the “home” part of your rig.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboonebicba View Post
When hooked up to 30 amp power and house battery kill switch on, we hear an intermittent clicking or popping sound that seems to be coming from in or around the battery compartment. Any idea what that might be? Thanks, Joe
It would help if you posted year, make and model number of your RV. Or put that information in your profile or signature.
We don't know if you're talking about a motorhome or trailer. Nor where the battery compartment is, tongue of the TT or 5th Wheel compartment or motorhome compartment?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:02 PM   #6

Popping sound

Thanks for the reply. I have a 2014 Sunseeker 3010DS. The house batteries are located under the steps into the RV. Sound seems to be emanating from the bottom of the base cabinet next to the steps, where the battery kill switch is, or the battery compartment. Popping sound is intermittent. Joe
Old 11-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have a 2014 Sunseeker 3010DS. The house batteries are located under the steps into the RV. Sound seems to be emanating from the bottom of the base cabinet next to the steps, where the battery kill switch is, or the battery compartment. Popping sound is intermittent. Joe
disconnect solenoid could be doing that or some other relay that's tucked where you can't see it .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
I did a forum search on your symptom and here is a post that may be relevant, from a similar vintage/type motorhome. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ise-85168.html

My guess is that you are hearing the normal sounds of the battery control center relay(s).

My Sunseeker is a 2020 model. The battery control center’s BIM makes a clunk periodically as it controls battery switching between chassis and house batteries for charging.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:38 PM   #9

Moderators may want to move this discussion to Forester and Sunseeker forum as the thread originator is not asking about a Mercedes Benz chassis, rather it is likely a Ford E Series chassis.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:47 PM   #10

popping sound

Thank you for your help and support. I'll be out again soon so I'll be on the 'listen out' in hopes of pinppointing the phantom. Take care, and thanks again. Joe
Old 12-06-2022, 06:34 PM   #11

Gcould be very well loose connection. Check for any wires loose or discoloration. Also look up under the unit left of the step s into the camper you wil see cable and terminal there also check for loose connection
Sonseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:37 PM   #12
Site Team

How old are the batteries. If original they could be toast and be boiling,

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:05 AM   #13

Popping sound

Thank you for the reply. I'll check on that
Old 12-08-2022, 10:51 AM   #14
Commercial Member

I'm asking our electrical engineer what may be causing the noise
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #15

Re -Undetermined Source Popcorn Sounding Noise/rattle

I had a similar Popping or Clicking" noise -on my 2014 Tracer Trailer this past summer -

What was causing the noise was the 30 amp Re-settable Breaker that was tripping and resetting, as my Power Slide motor control switch had stuck in the closed position ,causing the slide motor to draw current while the slide was closed .
The fault was in the spring return Rocker switch. and the switch would not go back to center off . The result was a near Fire. as the wiring harness had melted inside the wall back about 3 feet from the switch . Only after I disconnected the Batteries and external shore power did the clicking stop . Once a new switch and harness was sourced ,I replaced both resettable breakers and verified the operation of the slide in both directions

I had discovered this breaker and another 20 amp breaker side by side under the protective Polycarbonate sheets that enclose the bottom of the trailer from the elements .
No information on any paperwork I received when I purchased the unit new, as to where these breakers were located, or for that matter any electrical wiring diagram .

It could of failed in the "open" position just as easily ,causing the same "clicking or popping" noise that you are experiencing

I would recommend all RV Owners , to check the Slide Motor Rocker Switches and Awning Rocker switches and to make sure they return to the center off position ,and avoid having the same situation or Fire.

Cheers -Art
Sparkyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, noise