Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Upgrade ac thermostat 3010ds

Wondering if anybody out there has upgraded their AC thermostat, from the stock. I want to upgrade it to one that will actually turn the air conditioner off once the RV reaches the temperature I want just like the one in my house
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Chief tinkerer

Thermostat

Hello. I don't know if this applies, but on our 3010, we just discovered that with the stock T/stat, the AC fan control is selectable to Au (auto), Lo or Hi. Accessed by cycling through until "fan" is highlighted and then either up or down to select. In Au, the fan shuts off when the AC does.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Hello. I don't know if this applies, but on our 3010, we just discovered that with the stock T/stat, the AC fan control is selectable to Au (auto), Lo or Hi. Accessed by cycling through until "fan" is highlighted and then either up or down to select. In Au, the fan shuts off when the AC does.
Hmmm.... saw the "Lo" setting when we had the fan on and never thought to explore any further.

No offense, but, I'd be more impressed if someone came up with a good t/stat that didn't have the huge range when you had it on HEAT. Seems the one in my unit kicks off and then it cools down at least 5-7 degrees before the heat kicks back on. I can deal with the fan still running when the a/c hits the proper temp. But, those cool swings...... hard on the old man!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

Just installed a Honeywell in our 5th wheel and took out the Dometic that was there...it is really close to about 1 degree for heat and cooling.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
2012 Solera

[QUOTE=I can deal with the fan still running when the a/c hits the proper temp. But, those cool swings...... hard on the old man! [/QUOTE]

Dometic temp swing is adjustable. See page 7 :
http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/E...nual_17590.pdf

FYI
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

Thermostat replacment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitejunky1 View Post
Wondering if anybody out there has upgraded their AC thermostat, from the stock. I want to upgrade it to one that will actually turn the air conditioner off once the RV reaches the temperature I want just like the one in my house
I replaced the thermostat with a digital and couldn't believe the diff in temp control. Just like home. Many thread on Facebook how to do it.
Days Camped 2016 91, 2017 110
Days camped 2018 136
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
Old Camping Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Just installed a Honeywell in our 5th wheel and took out the Dometic that was there...it is really close to about 1 degree for heat and cooling.
X2. I install the Honeywell Digital and the heat / AC stays within 1 degree.
The old slider unit, the wire hookup for new thermostat ( you don't use two old wires if you don't want the two speed fan option ) and new digital unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160507_181251.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	109811   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160507_181754.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	109812   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160513_205129.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	109813  
EZgo TXT and ClubCar Precedent golf carts
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
U.S. Navy Veteran
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
Old Camping Squid

Just in case you can't see the details in the picture, ( this is my 2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS, I do not know if your unit color code is the same as mine. ) On my QBSS the old thermostat had:
+7.5 = RED
Cool = Yellow
Furnace = White
High Fan = Blue
Low Fan = Brown
Ground = Green

Wires to Digital are:
B and O are only used for heat pumps. I did not use...
G = Brown for low speed fan
Y = yellow for AC unit
W = White for Furnace
R/RC is jumped together and stay that way it is for the GROUND Green wire.

The Camper has two wires not needed ( unless you want the two speed fan, in that case you will use the Blue wire ) The RED +7.5V is not needed or used at all. Blue wire or Brown wire needs to be hooked up for fan speed. I only used the low speed and hooked up only low speed.

I have used this Thermostat all year, summer and winter, it works for me and stays within one degree.

I hope this will help you and I hope your wire color code is the same. It's a real pain in the butt to figure it out if nothing matches. My Yellow and White wires are the only standard wire colors. Took my a long time to figure it out. Good Luck.
EZgo TXT and ClubCar Precedent golf carts
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
U.S. Navy Veteran
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Dometic temp swing is adjustable. See page 7 :
http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/E...nual_17590.pdf

FYI
I thank you!

But, if my t/stat only has a 2 degree differential (at most), I must have p-$$ for blood! However, I will change it to a 1 degree differential.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrawers View Post
I replaced the thermostat with a digital and couldn't believe the diff in temp control. Just like home. Many thread on Facebook how to do it.
Sorry, Sarge, I don't do FaceBook. Which t/stat did you replace yours with?

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 06-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #11
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I thank you!

But, if my t/stat only has a 2 degree differential (at most), I must have p-$$ for blood! However, I will change it to a 1 degree differential.
Believe it is +/- 2 degrees (4 degree swing) or +/- 1 degree (2 degree swing). Also I understand this thermostat communicates digitally with a control module in the AC housing that controls both the furnace and the AC (and the heat pump if so equipped). No a simple replacement as I understand.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Believe it is +/- 2 degrees (4 degree swing) or +/- 1 degree (2 degree swing). Also I understand this thermostat communicates digitally with a control module in the AC housing that controls both the furnace and the AC (and the heat pump if so equipped). No a simple replacement as I understand.
Been out of school too long - forgot +/- 1 and +/- 2 would be 2 & 4 degree swings respectively. That would make sense since my interior independent thermometer shows the fairly large swing of about 5 degrees.
Now, hopefully, I won't need the furnace until later in the year. But, I'll still check it. Also, this is the first time I've had to deal with the heat pump on the a/c. A little different.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 06-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
What Honeywell stat did you use? Last year I replaced my Dometic analog stat with a Honeywell digital. After a week of cussing and not being able to make it work I called Honeywell and they told me I couldn't use the stat I had as a replacement. Don't ask what model I had, it is in a landfill somewhere.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

I have my Dometic digital thermostat set To +-1 and it is a world of difference from the +-2 setting.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat, upgrade