Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

Upgrade to steering

New to me 2010 3170ds. Thinking of adding stabilizer bars and/or steering dampener to tighten steering. Who has done this? What did you do and was it worth the price
sgoharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #2

If you’re thinking of upgrading the steering dampener to lessen the tendency of the RV to “wander”, make sure you have had the front end alignment checked and adjusted first.

I don’t know what chassis your unit is built on. If it’s a Ford, it may benefit from adding more caster, and making sure the toe is correct, which would make the chassis track straighter down the road with less need for minor corrections. There are many forum threads that talk about this.

Our new 2019 E-450 based 2020 Sunseeker was delivered with the front end alignment out of spec. I had the camber put back within Ford spec, and added caster to make it 4.5 degrees, the middle of Ford’s spec. (Some owners recommend setting caster at 5 degrees). The truck was “OK” before, but now tracks straight down the highway and needs little attention. Forest River reimbursed us for the alignment as warranty work, since the RV was outside Ford spec as delivered to us new.

I have the stock Ford steering dampener, Bilstein shocks, and a Hellwig rear stabilizer bar on a 182” wheelbase Ford chassis. I went with the Hellwig and Bilsteins partly because that is what Forest River installs as standard equipment on the Forester products. I am fine with the handling after the alignment adjustment and now see no need change the steering dampener.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:48 AM   #3

Thanks I have the E450 which has about 2 inch play in steering. Thinking of alignment, new steering dampener and beefier sway bars to tighten it all up
Old 10-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #4

We've got a Road Master steering stabilizer w/ Bilstien shocks w/ no drifting .
Old 10-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
If you’re thinking of upgrading the steering dampener to lessen the tendency of the RV to “wander”, make sure you have had the front end alignment checked and adjusted first.

I don’t know what chassis your unit is built on. If it’s a Ford, it may benefit from adding more caster, and making sure the toe is correct, which would make the chassis track straighter down the road with less need for minor corrections. There are many forum threads that talk about this.

Our new 2019 E-450 based 2020 Sunseeker was delivered with the front end alignment out of spec. I had the camber put back within Ford spec, and added caster to make it 4.5 degrees, the middle of Ford’s spec. (Some owners recommend setting caster at 5 degrees). The truck was “OK” before, but now tracks straight down the highway and needs little attention. Forest River reimbursed us for the alignment as warranty work, since the RV was outside Ford spec as delivered to us new.

I have the stock Ford steering dampener, Bilstein shocks, and a Hellwig rear stabilizer bar on a 182” wheelbase Ford chassis. I went with the Hellwig and Bilsteins partly because that is what Forest River installs as standard equipment on the Forester products. I am fine with the handling after the alignment adjustment and now see no need change the steering dampener.
I agree with the alignment first. Do a search for FORD E450 Alignment. Several threads on it.
I have a '17 3010DS and did the steering stabilizer, rear sway bar and trac bar. All great improvements, but still noticed a difference when I got the front end aligned.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #6

Went ahead and bought front and rear sway bars and a steering dampener. Will get them installed this week. I am hoping for a noticeable change. Will report back
Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoharley View Post
Went ahead and bought front and rear sway bars and a steering dampener. Will get them installed this week. I am hoping for a noticeable change. Will report back
I don't think you will be disappointed with those. But, don't forget about the alignment , if you haven't done it yet. The cheapest of all the things to do, in my book.
[emoji106]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

Have the alignment on Monday but the sway bars and dampener were some of the best money spent so far on this rig
Old 12-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
ChucknBecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post

We have a 2017 3010 SS. It was a little wonky when we first got it. With Fords IFS on these units, when the body rolls the steering wheel will move a little even though the unit is going straight. A little unnerving at first, but doable after you figure out not to fight it. We installed Hellwig HD sway bars front and rear, (they are HUGE compared to the stock units!) and we added a wireless remote control air pump for the air bags. The sway bars made a huge improvement and the on the go adjustable airbags help with different road conditions, bumpy, or windy. One handed 18 wheeler passing encounters, body roll reduction in curves and overall confidence in the way it handles. Our toad is a 2014 Jeep 4D wrangler and it no longer wags the dog, so to speak.
lckspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:18 AM   #10

Have put 1200 miles on new suspension. Still a little loose at the wheel but overall great improvement
Old 01-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #11
Senior Gold Member

Got my rear air bags fixed under warranty (they were losing air), new Road Master steering stabilizer and front end alignment and my new 2019 Sunseeker 3010 runs like a dream. We have just driven 2500 miles to Arizona and it handles quite nicely except in side gusts as you would expect. I did have to learn not to oversteer as the stabilizer does minor corrections for you in cases where the road surface ruts and rambles. If you keep your hands in one place the stabilizer returns you to zero in most cases.

Tags
sunseeker, upgrade