Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #1

Using arctic package on 2017 2800QS

We have only used our rv twice and are total newbies..
I am worried about having the unit plugged into the house electrical and sitting in driveway. We planned on heading south before this but selling house is more time consuming than I planned on. So now I have a full fresh tank and empty black and grey tanks.

1. Temps are falling so when do I need to turn on artic package?
2. Does the system heat all three tanks, fresh, black and grey?
3. How much water needs to be in each tank?
4. Am I missing doing anything? We are trying to get ready and be gone before first snowfall.
Tom C 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

You might think about draining the fw tank just because you don't know when you are leaving. Best to start out with good fresh water. As to the tanks you have to have some liquid in them when using the heaters, I believe they come on when the liquid hits 34* and off around 40* It does take some time at cold weather to freeze water in a tank. I would be more concerned about the water lines and water heater.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I don’t really understand the Arctic thing. Ours has it but at the PDI they said it would last til about 2am. Now thinking about that sounds so dumb. I guess we said a time to turn it on and I guess that’s with the battery? Obviously I need to research this.

If you have it plugged into your home couldn’t you run a little electric heater? We have a no tip over boat heater and does it ever work well! Wow, the whole MH is warmed up quickly.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #4

Tom C 47,

Forget the Arctic Pak heaters. They are only on the black and grey tanks. Just leave those tanks empty. The Arctic Pak heaters aren't of much use. Although they heat the tanks, there are no heaters on the drain lines and valves, nor on any of the fresh water plumbing. That is all vulnerable to freezing.

On Sunseekers and Foresters, the tanks, water filter/pump compartment and sewer drain compartment are heated by ducts from the propane furnace, so the Arctic Pak heaters aren't needed. Just run the propane furnace on a low temperature setting to keep the coach above freezing. That will keep the plumbing and tanks nice and warm. Since you are plugged in you won't have to worry about the furnace draining the batteries. Be aware that an electric space heater will keep the coach warm but won't heat the compartments or plumbing.

Also, if there is water in the water heater, drain it or leave it on. The propane flue is submerged in the water and it conducts heat out of the water, so the water could freeze if it stays cold long enough. If you have enough amps available, leave it on electricity instead of propane. I'd just drain it. Be sure to turn the water heater's 120 volt breaker off so you don't inadvertently turn on the heating element with no water it.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #5

NancyC7,

The tech's statement during your PDI that the Arctic Pak will only last until 2 AM is probably true if your coach is not plugged in, or if you do not have the generator or chassis engine running. The Arctic Pak would likely drain the batteries before morning. Also, as I stated in the post addressed to Tom C 47, the propane furnace heats the tanks and plumbing but a space heater does not.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:13 AM   #6
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
NancyC7,

The tech's statement during your PDI that the Arctic Pak will only last until 2 AM is probably true if your coach is not plugged in, or if you do not have the generator or chassis engine running. The Arctic Pak would likely drain the batteries before morning. Also, as I stated in the post addressed to Tom C 47, the propane furnace heats the tanks and plumbing but a space heater does not.

I think we plan to not be out where it gets *that * cold. Some people say if you leave your cabinet doors/drawers open for the heater to warm up everything, it will be ok, but I don't trust that idea. There's too much at stake
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #7

You are right to not trust opening the cabinets to prevent the plumbing from freezing. Some plumbing is between the floor and the underbelly covering. This area is heated by the furnace.

Tags