Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2022, 11:34 AM   #1

Using the leveling system to raise the unit for under body service

Is it safe to use the leveling system to raise the unit so you can get under it .
Actec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #2

"Never put anything you value under an item supported only by hydraulics." was once told to me by an equipment operator.

Use the jacks to lift and then place jack stands as appropriate. Same as if you used a floor jack to lift your car, you should then place a jack stand for actual support.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak480 View Post
"Never put anything you value under an item supported only by hydraulics." was once told to me by an equipment operator.

Use the jacks to lift and then place jack stands as appropriate. Same as if you used a floor jack to lift your car, you should then place a jack stand for actual support.

I agree 1000% , however other than my wheels all six jacks on my trl leveling are hydraulic, I believe the op will be ok. The biggest danger of jacking up has always been the 1 jack with a 1” of surface area on vehicle raising and tilted the vehicle. Just my thoughts. Is it a possibility that something bad happens yes.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I agree 1000% , however other than my wheels all six jacks on my trl leveling are hydraulic, I believe the op will be ok. The biggest danger of jacking up has always been the 1 jack with a 1” of surface area on vehicle raising and tilted the vehicle. Just my thoughts. Is it a possibility that something bad happens yes.

I do agree that the likelihood of an issue is greatly reduced in the 6 point jack scenario.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:53 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actec View Post
Is it safe to use the leveling system to raise the unit so you can get under it .
Is it safe? Simple answer…..NO.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:57 AM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Motorized Leveling System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actec View Post
It is perfectly safe to use the leveling system to raise the MH so you can get under it. It is absolutely not safe to get under the MH while it is only supported by the jacks.

Attached below is a copy of the Safety chapter found in your manual. You might want to read and heed the warnings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A63D0622-880E-4B00-8E84-84DF0ADA3B4A.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	268709  
Old 02-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Highly recommended to not use leveling to jack up a unit
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

word

In order to make sense of what is being said you would need to know what is meant by the words raise, lift and jack up.
I wrote raise which is what the OP reads. Raise to me, in context, means to elevate the MH to the point that the author can get under the unit. It does not mean to lift some or all the wheels off the ground.
The hydraulic leveling works by raising the low end and/or side to attain a level state. Raising the MH is what it is designed to do, within limitations or course.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #9
D W

BOTTOM LINE: They make jack stands for a reason.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Is it safe? Simple answer…..NO.
Thanks this helps
Actec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #11

I would never use the leveling system for anything other than what it was designed for other than in an emergency and that is leveling the RV. I'd use blocks or something to safely get under it if I had to. I'm a pretty big gut and I can worm my way under mine.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:52 PM   #12

So assuming the op doesn’t remove the wheels, as he didn’t mention it. I didn’t look to see if a 5th wheel or TT. How close would any part of the rv get to the ground if the 1 in a million or whatever the extreme unlikely hood of the system failing why op is under. I would think 80% of the rv would still be high enough off ground not to crush.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:48 PM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

No Squirrel

Quote:
So assuming the op doesn’t remove the wheels, as he didn’t mention it. I didn’t look to see if a 5th wheel or TT. How close would any part of the rv get to the ground if the 1 in a million or whatever the extreme unlikely hood of the system failing why op is under. I would think 80% of the rv would still be high enough off ground not to crush.
The section you are in is Forester/Sunseeker. Everything here is a motorhome.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:49 PM   #14

Is there any common sense left in the USA? Hell yes climb right under there, what could go wrong?
Pacifictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The section you are in is Forester/Sunseeker. Everything here is a motorhome.

Thank you I don’t normally scroll up high enough to see what section the post was made in.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #16

I am a big guy and have been under my Forester many times. If I need a little more room, I will use the jacks to raise it a few inches as long as the tires are not removed. When I was under the unit once with the jacks up, I noticed that part of my body was often under a jack and I couldn't stop thinking what would happen if the jack system deployed on it's own. Obviously not likely, but I feel better when the jacks are down and I can't get under them.

I never get under the unit with tires off using the leveling jacks to support it.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:28 PM   #17

Using the leveling system to raise the unit for under body service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifictime View Post
Is there any common sense left in the USA? Hell yes climb right under there, what could go wrong?

Well now that you mention it, a meteor could hit the earth, we could have an earthquake while under the rv on it level jacks supported by the ten jackstands that cracked during the earthquake just as the hydraulic hose ruptures. Sending the rv crashing down on the china bombs the manufacturer installed causing them to burst falling on the me underneath as the rv rolls me over because I didn’t chock my tires.
Driving to work everyday is statically more hazardous then crawling under an rv while it on hydraulic levels. Yet we still go
Old 02-12-2022, 11:27 PM   #18
Certified Curmudgeon

Tow Ball

Quote:
Well now that you mention it, a meteor could hit the earth, we could have an earthquake while under the rv on it level jacks supported by the ten jackstands that cracked during the earthquake just as the hydraulic hose ruptures. Sending the rv crashing down on the china bombs the manufacturer installed causing them to burst falling on the me underneath as the rv rolls me over because I didn’t chock my tires.
Driving to work everyday is statically more hazardous then crawling under an rv while it on hydraulic levels. Yet we still go
That soliloquy truly rates a Tao of Lurch. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #19

Hey Moose

I you feel safe going under something that's supported by something not designed to support the first thing, go ahead. It's all odds like you said, long.
You hear about people getting squished all the time, and there are probably x10k maybe 1m people not getting squished for every 1 that does get squished. Yet if those who did get squished knew that they were going to get squished they would probably have done something a little different.
Pacifictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifictime View Post
I you feel safe going under something that's supported by something not designed to support the first thing, go ahead. It's all odds like you said, long.
You hear about people getting squished all the time, and there are probably x10k maybe 1m people not getting squished for every 1 that does get squished. Yet if those who did get squished knew that they were going to get squished they would probably have done something a little different.

The leveling jacks are designed to lift and support the motor home, 36k lbs to support my 14.5k lb motor home. How does one get "squished" if the tires are in place, and the jacks fail? If you are talking about going under the motor home with the tires removed and only supported by the jacks, then I agree, but you should be clear.

Tags
leveling, service