Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 11:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
My hybrid disagrees with you.

At 48,000 miles a new dealer said the air filter was dirty whereas the selling dealer always said it was OK at the oil changes. I had noticed the mileage had dropped off from the usual 42-44 to the mid to low 30's but totally forgot I had an air filter.

I pulled it and it was really filthy and had leaves and even a twig. Two tanks after I replaced the filter the mileage was back up to 42-44 MPG. Performance was unaffected.

Ray
The MAF sensor disagrees with you. The ECU measure the air by the MAF and dispenses the amount of fuel to create the proper stoichiometric ratio.

If you have a carbureted car, that's a whole different story.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #22

If you have a dirty air filter, it will change everything with the ECU. no air will effect how it reacts.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #23

We are not talking about no air or less air. We are talking about a dirty filter. An engine going a certain RPM is consuming the same amount of air whether the filter is dirty or clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
If you have a dirty air filter, it will change everything with the ECU. no air will effect how it reacts.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #24
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
We are not talking about no air or less air. We are talking about a dirty filter. An engine going a certain RPM is consuming the same amount of air whether the filter is dirty or clean.
The OP asked about replacements for the air filter on his Ford Triton V-10 in his Motorhome. I am following this thread in hopes of responses from folks that actually have one of those bad boyz in their possession.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiejay View Post
Napa filters are branded NAPA. Are they really made by Fram? I really prefer Motorcraft being a retired heavy line Ford Dealershp Tech. I think the quality of all branded filters meet Manufacturers ridged spec's. I thought Napa filters were made by Wix.
NAPA filters are made by Wix
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Can a"certain RPM" be reached with a dirty air filter?
Old 09-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
We are old geezers--and worry too much about inconsequential things.

We are old-timers now.
When we were growing up and cars had honest-to-gosh carburetors, a clean air filter was really important. If the air filter got dirty and clogged, air flow was reduced--just like using the choke. Reduced air flow meant more engine vacuum, the engine ran richer, and mileage went to heck. We all learned to be obsessive about clean air filters.

It doesn't work that way anymore.
Today's fuel injected engines work completely differently. The throttle plate merely modifies the airflow into the engine. O2 sensors and exhaust gas temperatures cause the engine adjust the mixture by reducing or extending the time each fuel injector opens. (In fact, the idle speed adjustment is no longer a throttle stop screw these days. It is simply an air bleed valve that determines how much air can bypass the throttle plate when that plate is completely closed.)

Bottom line
So the answer is: A dirty air filter doesn't matter much these days. The only effect of dirty air filter is that the vehicle acts like you aren't pressing the throttle as much. Mileage is not affected. You aren't hurting anything driving with a dirty air filter.

I didn't notice that mine was way past due until I gave it wide-open throttle and performance wasn't quite as expected.
One of the reasons they retire us old geezers, fresh minds.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #28

If you want to run WOT, that could be an issue. How many times do you run WOT?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #29

Rockauto has many choices.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ir+filter,6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The OP asked about replacements for the air filter on his Ford Triton V-10 in his Motorhome. I am following this thread in hopes of responses from folks that actually have one of those bad boyz in their possession.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Nice to have if you need it, not so good it it isn't there
Old 09-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #31

You run your engine at 6000 Rpm often?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Nice to have if you need it, not so good it it isn't there
Old 09-30-2020, 10:53 PM   #32
NXR

Quote:
On a Class A? Darn near every time we need that V10 to get us up a semi-steep hill on an interstate.

Ray
Old 09-30-2020, 11:10 PM   #33

NXR gave his view on your reply, as far as I and you, go bait someone else, I'm out!!!!!
Old 10-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #34

For what it is worth, I use OEM replacement Fram Air filter changed every year along with the Mobile 5w20 Ultimate oil and Fram Ultra Syn Filter.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #35

Then you will benefit from a clean filter. Doesn't affect your MPG though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
On a Class A? Darn near every time we need that V10 to get us up a semi-steep hill on an interstate.

Ray
Old 10-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #36

I have always believed that the manufacturer makes the parts efficient but the longer they last the less they sell. So enough to keep everything running but not enough to lose a sell.
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbrooks View Post
I have always believed that the manufacturer makes the parts efficient but the longer they last the less they sell. So enough to keep everything running but not enough to lose a sell.
In the automotive industry it is commonly known as,

Planned obsolescence describes a strategy of deliberately ensuring that the current version of a given product will become out of date or useless within a known time period. This proactive move guarantees that consumers will seek replacements in the future, thus bolstering demand
Old 10-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #38

I put a K&N in my last motorhome and intend to put one in my current unit. Lifetime cleanable, worth the initial cost.
Duffy and Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy and Paula View Post
I put a K&N in my last motorhome and intend to put one in my current unit. Lifetime cleanable, worth the initial cost.
Well worth the up front money. And before I get blown up about dust, yes K&N is not recommended for CONSTANT dusty driving unless you use the dry ones. But it seems some on here are always going to rebut most post's.

Yes I posted this after such rebuts.
NJOY
Old 10-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy and Paula View Post
As long as you don't mind dusting your engine. Do an oil analysis and see how much the silica content goes up.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

I had a K&N in my Suburban and after I saw how much dust was on the engine side of the filter, I threw it into the trash. I hadn't even read this report before.