Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
In the automotive industry it is commonly known as,

Planned obsolescence describes a strategy of deliberately ensuring that the current version of a given product will become out of date or useless within a known time period. This proactive move guarantees that consumers will seek replacements in the future, thus bolstering demand
Couldn't of said it better myself.
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbrooks View Post
I have always believed that the manufacturer makes the parts efficient but the longer they last the less they sell. So enough to keep everything running but not enough to lose a sell.
Not sure what you are talking about. These air filters are easy to find and they are cheap.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Well worth the up front money. And before I get blown up about dust, yes K&N is not recommended for CONSTANT dusty driving unless you use the dry ones. But it seems some on here are always going to rebut most post's.

Yes I posted this after such rebuts.
NJOY
K&N has an optional over-filter for dusty conditions.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Well worth the up front money. And before I get blown up about dust, yes K&N is not recommended for CONSTANT dusty driving unless you use the dry ones. But it seems some on here are always going to rebut most post's.

Yes I posted this after such rebuts.
NJOY
I guess I should have waited until you couldn't edit your post.

I would never put a K&N on ANY engine for ANY condition.

We won't even begin discussing how you can destroy your MAF by over oiling which is VERY easy to do.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #45

you are simply not going to beat good old OEM for the value.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
you are simply not going to beat good old OEM for the value.
Agreed. An OEM filter is $11. How are you saving money buying a reusable filter?
Old 10-05-2020, 10:02 PM   #47

I’ve had K&N cold air intakes on four vehicles now and haven’t had any problems, when I clean the filter I follow the directions to re-oil not too difficult. My 5-star tune takes the intake into account on my V-10 and it works great for me.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I’ve had K&N cold air intakes on four vehicles now and haven’t had any problems, when I clean the filter I follow the directions to re-oil not too difficult. My 5-star tune takes the intake into account on my V-10 and it works great for me.
Don't even get me started on how useless cold air intakes are.

The engine ECU adjusts fuel delivery based on the mass of air entering the engine based on what the MAF sees. The ECU doesn't know what type of intake is on a vehicle because it doesn't need to know.

Most modern vehicles don't need them. All they really do is add noise.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:10 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Not sure what you are talking about. These air filters are easy to find and they are cheap.
I was referring to newRVers post
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Don't even get me started on how useless cold air intakes are.

The engine ECU adjusts fuel delivery based on the mass of air entering the engine based on what the MAF sees. The ECU doesn't know what type of intake is on a vehicle because it doesn't need to know.

Most modern vehicles don't need them. All they really do is add noise.

More air in more air out more better lol
Old 10-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #51

That's what you think the theory of them is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
More air in more air out more better lol
Old 10-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #52

I check mine several times a year to see how much junk the wood rats packed into the intake and duct. Its also a good time to give a good look over the wiring and tubing to see what got chewed up. :-(
JRHill02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #53

Have used K&N filters in all my vehicles, they are reusable after proper cleaning.
Also have a V10.
If the filter was not installed properly and the filter housing not sealed, it could be why the filter was only showing half dirty.
jstumpf1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Think what he ment they want to make them good but not to good to last a long time. Also just MHO, cold air intakes work great when they are in "COLD" air not sucking engine heat. Again JMHO.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #55

Air filters get dirt in them. How does a better one last longer?
Quote:
Think what means, they want to make them good but not to good to last a long time.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #56

Engine air filter is the only protection the engine has from damaging particulate matter. If a filter is dirty nasty and full of bugs it is the best sign it is doing its job as all that crap would have been ingested. Doesn't take much to destroy an engine!

I use Motorcraft and Mopar filters in my tow vehicles, a Jeep Wrangler, Ford Expedition, and Ram truck. They fit, top quality, available everywhere, and cheap insurance. Inspect, vacuum out the air box, and pop in a fresh one. I keep a spare in each vehicle!

I use aftermarket lifetime washable filters in my hotrods with single and multi-carbureted engines. They are great filters for my high performance applications and they look so good! They are made of cotton gauze that have to be cleaned, dried and re-oiled regularly! Without timely and proper maintenance the cotton can shrink from the cleaning process, air passing through them driving, and just sitting over time witch could become an issue. They require your time and effort to maintain them.

Regardless of the type of filter, brand, or vehicle, a dirty nasty air filter is Awesome! It is doing its job! Check it often!

Keep the rubber side down and enjoy the ride!
hotrod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #57

Thank you all for the replies. I decided to try and the Airaid 861-345 dry filter as it would allow me to clean it off annually and to avoid having to throwing out multiple filters during the time I will have the RV. You can see how dirty the existing filter is and this is after I had removed the large clump of dirt, debris and bugs. I probably should have replaced it at 10-15K miles but now I know better. However, I am having an issue with the Airaid filter fitting onto the housing properly. The OEM filter fits easily over the circular intake and sits flush on the plastic bottom. However, I am not able to fit the Airaid filter over the circular intake. I will call the manufacturer tomorrow to see if this is the right part number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201011_104040.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	748.3 KB
ID:	240966   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201011_104205.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	240967  

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Air filters get dirt in them. How does a better one last longer?
Ya don't have to replace it. DUH!!!!!
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #59

I contacted the Manufacturer and they confirmed that 861-345 is the correct part number for my vehicle. I emphasized that the opening on the Airaid filter seems to be to small but they said it should not be and should fit. They suggested that since the plastic used on the Airaid filter was much stiffer than the OEM and/or other aftermarket filters that I might try and wipe some silicone along the edge to help slide it over the air intake lip. I had my doubts but agreed to give it a try. Well I gave it a try and it did not work and to make sure I was not losing my mind I took at tape measure and made some measurements. Turns the air intake and opening of the Airaid filter are both ~4.25 inches in diameter and the factory filter is 4.5 inches with a tapered opening. (tapered 4.5 to 4.25) So it is Clear that the Airaid filter is not going to fit as it should at least have a 4 5/16 opening (i.e. slightly larger than intake opening) Additionally if the plastic was more flexible like the factory filter it might work but because it is so rigid with no give, there is no chance.

For now I would NOT recommend purchasing the Airaid filter 861-345 given the issue that I have had and will be installing a Fram replacement filter just to get ready for our trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201014_180132.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	241300  

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #60

Tape or caliper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Turns the air intake and opening of the Airaid filter are both ~4.25 inches in diameter and the factory filter is 4.5 inches with a tapered opening. (tapered 4.5 to 4.25) So it is Clear that the Airaid filter is not going to fit as it should at least have a 4 5/16 opening (i.e. slightly larger than intake opening) Additionally if the plastic was more flexible like the factory filter it might work but because it is so rigid with no give, there is no chance.
A tape measure can be used to measure the inside or outside diameter of a circular opening, but it's hard to be precise. A caliper is an inexpensive aid to being sure you are at the widest point.

These are really cheap but easy to read and use. Not only can you get inside and outside diameters, but also depth. I have one in each toolbox and use them all the time.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote