Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #1

V10 Engine Air Filter

While I had the RV home this weekend prepping for a two week trip later this month I decided to check my air filter. I have just over 20K of miles and am used to changing my air filter every 25-30K on my cars but I had the hood and though why not. Good thing I checked, the filter was really dirty and one half of the bottom was caked with Bugs! I probably should have checked earlier knowing that some of the area's and campgrounds are dusty and dirt could build up faster. Interesting that only half the filter appeared to trapping most of the dirt which probably is a function of the air intake system not distributing air flow enough. So from here out I will be checking the filter annually when I change the oil and will knock out loose dirt and rotate the filter to allow air flow through the cleaner section of the filter.

In the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for a good replacement based on their experience?

RVr

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

That's a can of worms to open. I went with an AirRaid cleanable filter. If done correctly, no problem. I have 5 vehicles with non replaceable filters.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #3

My F250 has seen nothing but OEM Motorcraft filters. Perfect fit and work great.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
That's a can of worms to open. I went with an AirRaid cleanable filter. If done correctly, no problem. I have 5 vehicles with non replaceable filters.
Yep, this could be an endless topic of discussion.

However, there is one thing that I've noticed that is worth asking about. I was looking at a FRAM TGA8039 replacement filter (Yellow Filter Pic) but then it has the same potential design issue as the OEM filter. I.e. The incoming air hits the dome and flows to the top of the pleated filter and this is where all the contaminants collect. Literally half the top of the filter was just encrusted with dirt and bugs. However, the K&N filter (Red Filter Pic) as well as the Air Raid filter you mentioned does not have a flat or raised area for dirt and bugs to collect on. I would think that this might be a good thing and may prevent any one area of the filter from becoming a dirt magnet ??? It would be nice if someone could confirm from their experience if that is true or not. Also, how difficult or easy is it to clean these reusable type of filters? Taking it out annually and giving it a quick rinse down would seem to be easy enough if that is really all it takes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fram TGA8039.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	240198   Click image for larger version

Name:	KN air filter E0945.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	240199  

Chuck & Lois
Old 09-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #5

V10 Engine Air Filter

Yea, mine is just a large flat filter with equal air flow. Your's is a totally different design and I understand now your issue. The KN design looks to be better than the Fram for sure.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #6

My 2018 V-10 with 17k miles had dirt and stuff over most of it. I guess when an engine is 6.8 liters in size it passes lots of air thru it so the filter gets dirty quicker than a smaller one and needs changing more often.

I got a reusable one from the auto parts store.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
While I had the RV home this weekend prepping for a two week trip later this month I decided to check my air filter. I have just over 20K of miles and am used to changing my air filter every 25-30K on my cars but I had the hood and though why not. Good thing I checked, the filter was really dirty and one half of the bottom was caked with Bugs! I probably should have checked earlier knowing that some of the area's and campgrounds are dusty and dirt could build up faster. Interesting that only half the filter appeared to trapping most of the dirt which probably is a function of the air intake system not distributing air flow enough. So from here out I will be checking the filter annually when I change the oil and will knock out loose dirt and rotate the filter to allow air flow through the cleaner section of the filter.

In the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for a good replacement based on their experience?

RVr
Buy a name brand paper filter and throw it away every year, no need to get fancy.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:10 AM   #8
Brake is on left

Motorcraft.
The fact that there is a lot of crud in one place is actually doing the right job. All the big junk collects there while more air flows through the unrestricted part of the filter. Air isnt only trying to go through that dirty spot. Manufacturers do a lot of R&D on intakes and filtration. Sure, they have to keep noise and space and cost within reason, but most modern vehicles have great intake and filtration flow.
FWIW, my diesel only dirties up one area of the filter. 80% of it looks clean (though I know there is dirt). 28k and the restriction gauge is still in the green at 20 psi of boost.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
Buy a name brand paper filter and throw it away every year, no need to get fancy.
I typically weigh the benefits of cost and durability when I purchase most things. Up till now we have only been using the RV for 3-5K miles per year and sadly this year even less than that. However, it is likely that I will be retiring in the next year or so and at that point we will be logging a lot more miles. Additionally I typically purchase things that can frequently be reused and/or last a long time to reduce the amount of trash that gets generated. For that reason I probably will looking at a reusable filter rather than replacing filters every 12-18 months which could be the case when we start traveling a lot. So I guess like most things it depends on what you are doing and how you do it that drives ones decision making.

Bottom line - If we were going to continue to drive minimal miles each year then I would likely not pay the cost for a reusable filter.

Chuck & Lois
Old 09-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #10

The AIRAID filters are washable and also let more air through which can give a little better performance and mpg if that matters to you.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
The AIRAID filters are washable and also let more air through which can give a little better performance and mpg if that matters to you.
In the days of carburetors and non-cat exhaust systems this was the case. In today's fuel injected gasoline engines it is quite different. The computer will monitor all the sensors from the MAF to the downstream O2 sensors. It will adjust your fuel to amount of air that passes through the MAF to provide the optimum Air-Fuel Ratio of 14.7:1. If it sees a mixture that has too much air, i.e. <12.0:1, it will automatically add fuel to avoid a lean burn. By the same token, it will reduce injector pulses if the mixture becomes too rich. The computer doesn't care what filter you have. Welcome to Emission Controls.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #12

Our 2011 Georgetown had this problem. The Napa stores usually have this filter in stock. I think it was about $13.00 I also bought their oil filter for our 5.5 Onan Gen set. A lot of Wal Marts change the oil & filter with Mobil synthetic oil. (about $55.00
Frankiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #13

We are old geezers

We are old geezers--and worry too much about inconsequential things.

We are old-timers now.
When we were growing up and cars had honest-to-gosh carburetors, a clean air filter was really important. If the air filter got dirty and clogged, air flow was reduced--just like using the choke. Reduced air flow meant more engine vacuum, the engine ran richer, and mileage went to heck. We all learned to be obsessive about clean air filters.

It doesn't work that way anymore.
Today's fuel injected engines work completely differently. The throttle plate merely modifies the airflow into the engine. O2 sensors and exhaust gas temperatures cause the engine adjust the mixture by reducing or extending the time each fuel injector opens. (In fact, the idle speed adjustment is no longer a throttle stop screw these days. It is simply an air bleed valve that determines how much air can bypass the throttle plate when that plate is completely closed.)

Bottom line
So the answer is: A dirty air filter doesn't matter much these days. The only effect of dirty air filter is that the vehicle acts like you aren't pressing the throttle as much. Mileage is not affected. You aren't hurting anything driving with a dirty air filter.

I didn't notice that mine was way past due until I gave it wide-open throttle and performance wasn't quite as expected.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #14

Fram is a pretty poor quality filter. I use Baldwin or Mann.
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #15

Napa filters are branded NAPA. Are they really made by Fram? I really prefer Motorcraft being a retired heavy line Ford Dealershp Tech. I think the quality of all branded filters meet Manufacturers ridged spec's. I thought Napa filters were made by Wix.
Frankiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #16

Filter

I would stay away from any of the after market oil added after market filters. They can mess up the air flow meter on newer engines. This like the standard K&N. This is especially true of any of the diesels. I ran K&N filters on everything for 35 years. I now use the factory Ford or non-oiled aftermarket ARE. The factory are very good especially on the Fords.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #17

Pretty sure Purolator makes Motorcraft filters.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #18

That is good info. I was a mechanic back in the carb days and when f.i. was just coming into the market. Got into engineering after that. So the aftermarket air filter manufactures use the air flow to sell the filters but it really makes no dif for probably 95% of the cars. Well at least its washable.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:04 PM   #19
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Bottom line
So the answer is: A dirty air filter doesn't matter much these days. The only effect of dirty air filter is that the vehicle acts like you aren't pressing the throttle as much. Mileage is not affected. You aren't hurting anything driving with a dirty air filter.
My hybrid disagrees with you.

At 48,000 miles a new dealer said the air filter was dirty whereas the selling dealer always said it was OK at the oil changes. I had noticed the mileage had dropped off from the usual 42-44 to the mid to low 30's but totally forgot I had an air filter.

I pulled it and it was really filthy and had leaves and even a twig. Two tanks after I replaced the filter the mileage was back up to 42-44 MPG. Performance was unaffected.

Ray
Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiejay View Post
Napa filters are branded NAPA. Are they really made by Fram? I really prefer Motorcraft being a retired heavy line Ford Dealershp Tech. I think the quality of all branded filters meet Manufacturers ridged spec's. I thought Napa filters were made by Wix.
They are made by Wix. Even share the same part numbers
babock is offline   Reply With Quote