Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #1

VIN number questions?

Buying a 2019 Sunseeker 2850 this week from a South Carolina individual. I understand from this forum that the Chassis VIN will likely show a different year of manufacture. What evidence will I have that the coach is actually a 2019.
Will the title show both numbers?
Mbear12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Site Team

The actual title that is issued by your state, should have the VIN (and year) assigned by the completed motorhome manufacturer....and not just the chassis manufacturer.

It's explained here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-126121.html

EDIT: Noticed you said you were buying from an individual. Look at the tenth character of the VIN on the previous title. This will denote the year assigned.

Then this link will show what year the tenth character represents.

https://support.alldata.com/alldata-...-to-year-chart

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
Site Team

The chassis VIN is the one used for registration and title. But the model year will reflect the one assigned by Forest River as a completed chassis. So even if the chassis is a 2018, according to the VIN, all the legal paperwork will say 2019 Sunseeker 2850.

Forest River puts their VIN tag on as well, in the door frame, that will show their model year regardless of the chassis model year. FR VIN's start with 4X4 as the manufacture code.

Georgia titles do not reflect both VIN's, only the vehicle chassis is used.

I keep a copy of both MSO's that are turned in to create the title here in Georgia. I need the FR MSO one to show the weight for tax purposes.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbear12 View Post
Buying a 2019 Sunseeker 2850 this week from a South Carolina individual. I understand from this forum that the Chassis VIN will likely show a different year of manufacture. What evidence will I have that the coach is actually a 2019.
If you are buying a unit that has never been sold or titled, you will get two MSOs (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin), one from the chassis manufacturer, and the other from FR, for the coach body that is mounted on the chassis. Both of those MSOs need to be given to the DMV when applying for a title for the motorhome. The year listed on the MSO from the final assembler - in this case, Forest River - will be the year that will be listed on the title.

If the unit has previously been titled, obviously, the year shown on the existing title is the year of manufacture. It is possible - perhaps even likely - that your 2019 Sunseeker has a body that was built in 2019, but sits on a chassis that was produced the previous year, then shipped to Forest River to await a body.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #5

VIN

If I am following this correctly...I may get a title showing a 2018 title if the chassis is a 2018?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
If I am following this correctly...I may get a title showing a 2018 title if the chassis is a 2018?
Probably not. Your title should show the year that Forest River assigned the motorhome, not the chassis year.

As stated above, look at the tenth character of the previous title, and that shows the year.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #7

VINs show MODEL year regardless of when the vehicle was manufactured. Motorhomes built on commercial chassis will have a chassis VIN that reflects the model year of the chassis, not when it was made.

I've no idea when the model year of FR motorhomes changes; trailer MYs seem to start as early as May of the preceding calendar year. MY2020 trailers started off the line in May 2019. If the same holds true a MY 2020 motorhome could have been made in May 2019 with a MY 2019 chassis made in calendar year 2018, just a few months before the MY changed.

-- Chuck
Old 11-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
No, you will get a title with the year of the body build from FR. If they are saying it is a '19 model Sunseeker, then the title will be a 2019, regardless of when the chassis was built (late 2018, early 2019...doesn't matter). Forest River (Sunseeker) built and finished the motorhome body in 2019, then the entire motorhome will be a 2019.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #9

VIN

Totally confused now....Differing opinions?
Old 11-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Totally confused now....Differing opinions?
Don't be confused. Let me see if I can help you understand. I am assuming that this is a new Sunseeker that you are buying, one that has never been titled before. Correct?

The chassis for that motorhome was built by GM or Ford, and when it was built, there was a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) generated that shows the VIN that GM or Ford assigned to that chassis.

Forest River's Sunseeker division buys the chassis from GM or Ford. It may sit in a field at FR for several months before a motorhome body is built atop the chassis.

Once the unit is completed, Sunseeker generates another MSO showing the serial number that they have assigned to that body, and the date that the final build (body completed on chassis) was completed.

When you buy the motorhome, you get both MSO, one for the chassis and one for the body, and take them to the DMV to get a title in your name.

The original chassis VIN, from Ford or GM or whomever built the chassis, is used as the VIN for the completed motorhome. The final build date, from the MSO prepared by the body manufacturer - in this case, Sunseeker, becomes the model year of the vehicle.

So, it is possible for GM or Ford to build a chassis at the end of their 2018 model year, and their MSO shows a build date of 2018. Forest River then buys the chassis, it sits unused for a couple of months, and they mount and finish the body in 2019. Their MSO shows a body build date of 2019.

You go to the DMV with both MSOs, and when your title comes back, it says that your motorhome is a 2019 FORD (or GM), because that 2019 date is the final completion date.

Does that help you understand the process any better?
Old 11-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #11

VIN

No...one owner...he bought it last year.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
OK, that's different. If it has been previously owned, the original owner would have already gone through the process that I described for a new vehicle. He will have a title, showing the motorhome is a 2019 model.

IF IT IS A PRIVATE SALE
The seller will sign the back of the title, transferring ownership to you. You take his old, now-signed title to the DMV, pay your sales tax, and get a new title issued in your name.

IF YOU ARE BUYING IT FROM A DEALER
The dealer will probably already have had a new title issued in the dealership's name. They will then sign the back of the title, transferring ownership to you, and you will do the same as above. It is possible that the dealership will want to complete the title application for you (and usually charge a "documentation fee" of $50-$100 for filling out the form). In Missouri, you can fill out the title application yourself, or the DMV will do it for you for free.

Depending on your state, you will probably need some kind of inspection by a licensed inspection station, when you apply for the new title in your name.

Maybe this will help https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-regi...uirements.aspx
Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Let's keep it simple. You want to see the "Chassis Title" AND the "Forest River Title".

The Chassis title only shows the model year of the chassis. The "Forest River Title" will show the model year of the completed coach.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Let's keep it simple. You want to see the "Chassis Title" AND the "Forest River Title".
That would be hard to do in Georgia as there is only one title, and registration, created from the two MSOs. And they uses the chassis VIN with FR's Model and Model Year information.

The FR VIN does not appear anywhere in the paperwork generated from the MSOs that I see.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
That would be hard to do in Georgia as there is only one title, and registration, created from the two MSOs. And they uses the chassis VIN with FR's Model and Model Year information.

The FR VIN does not appear anywhere in the paperwork generated from the MSOs that I see.
Correct...but you should be able to get a copy from Forest River. Heck, give me the last 6 of the Vin and I can pull a copy.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #16

For LEO's and DMV officials, the only VIN on an RV that's official is the public VIN applied by the manufacturer of the RV. Usually it is a data plate or sticker placed in some conspicuous area that is easily viewed.
AFAIK, this only applies to class A MH's, class C van cutaways should have the chassis VIN on top of the left side of the dash.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #17

Quote:

Use the below link to see what MBZ shipped to Coach supplier to build that specific MH.

https://www.lastvin.com/

It uses the Chassis VIN in the windshield.

What you get is about 2-pages of enlightening details.

LucasCali
LucasCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Just get me the last (6) of the VIN and I can get you a copy of the Forest River CofO showing the proper model year. (not chassis model year)

Old 11-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #19

Vin

Last six digits are C31768
10th digit is “J”. Which denotes 2018

Thanks for the help.

Picking the unit up in a couple of hours.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Yes, Chassis is a 2018, but the Motorhome should be registered as a 2019 and that is what is reflected on the Forest River title. We stopped putting the Forest River VIN on there because it seemed to confuse the DMV/BMV's.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 87587347.pdf (90.6 KB, 82 views)