Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #21

We have used a Garmin for many years. This has been by far the most user friendly GPS. We have had three others and there is no comparison. Garmin immediately gives us directions at the start and continues directing to the final destination. The one feature that we like most is that if a wrong move is made, the Garmin will redirect you almost immediately, not going back to where the mistake was made, but the best route forward. We affectionately refer to it as "The Lady".

We have tried the 3 others side-by-side with "The Lady" and Garmin has consistently been the best. Best at directing start to arrival, best at redirecting, and best (by far) in rural areas.The one pitfall is that there is a charge (on ours) to get updates. We have found over the 5 years use, that the updates would be of minimal value-we have not updated.

In reading through the other posts, I want to make mention of one other point. In Florida, we live in an area with multiple residential areas with canals. This is a real test for a GPS. Garmin has never failed in directing us correctly through these areas to a destination.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #22

I have found over the years I have had my Garmin Zumo 550 that:
I can find better routes than it gives
That even current map updates have errors that have been errors for years
That the recalculate feature tries obsessively to return you to the point of your error
That it is best used as an electronic map to keep you abreast of where you are
That planning your own route and making a list for you or your copilot to refer to is much less stressful.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
We have used a Garmin for many years. This has been by far the most user friendly GPS. We have had three others and there is no comparison. Garmin immediately gives us directions at the start and continues directing to the final destination. The one feature that we like most is that if a wrong move is made, the Garmin will redirect you almost immediately, not going back to where the mistake was made, but the best route forward. We affectionately refer to it as "The Lady".

We have tried the 3 others side-by-side with "The Lady" and Garmin has consistently been the best. Best at directing start to arrival, best at redirecting, and best (by far) in rural areas.The one pitfall is that there is a charge (on ours) to get updates. We have found over the 5 years use, that the updates would be of minimal value-we have not updated.

In reading through the other posts, I want to make mention of one other point. In Florida, we live in an area with multiple residential areas with canals. This is a real test for a GPS. Garmin has never failed in directing us correctly through these areas to a destination.
The Garmin RV 660 is another good one for half the price of the RV770. You can enter height weight length etc. So far so good. The RV trip wizard is ok but it has a monthly fee. The Garmin has free lifetime map updates and traffic.

Tank
Tankmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #24

before a trip, I always plan my trip with google maps. this way I can choose my route for terrain, fuel, traffic, road type, etc. On my garmin, I enter points along MY route to insure my choices. garmin's "trip Planner" is great for this.
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #25

Love my Garmin 760LMT
fritzg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny K View Post
Please give a reference for the truck atlas (never heard of such a thing).
Rand McNally publishes the Motor Carriers' Road Atlas or "Truckers" Atlas I've used for years... See Here for the current 2018 versions. If you are going to use it much the spiral binding makes the Deluxe version worth the extra cost in my opinion. Camping World and Barnes and Noble usually stock them in their stores as do most big truck stops like Flying J.
It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #27

Something else you may want to consider - I use a cheap Digiland 7" Android tablet with Wifi and Bluetooth and a navigation app called CoPilot RV. It allows you to download the maps to the tablet so you don't need any type of connection and it also allows you to create different profiles for different vehicles (Motorhome, Truck, car), input size data and navigate based on the profile you choose. It has some pretty good route planning built in. The app used to be free but the only one I see now is a pay version of the app - a one time $59.99 charge, but I have not seen the need to upgrade yet.

I also use a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Torque Pro app to monitor engine and transmission performance on the tablet at the same time. Torque Pro runs in the background and will alert if a problem arises.

I used this setup when towing a TT with my diesel truck and now use it in the motorhome.

My cost for tablet, Bluetooth adapter and apps was less than $50. Even with the $59.99 charge for CoPilot RV, it would still be under $100.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #28

We have the Garmin 770 LMT. Makes a really good paperweight! A few weeks ago traveling north on I95 to I495 to route 50E. I know this route well but this GPS suggested that I take a 30ft rv through center city D.C. Once drove for 17 miles because my destination was 1 mile from my starting point. Contacted Garmin numerous times to no avail.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #29

I agree. I use google maps and other researce to plan my trips. All navigation aids are going to find the shortest and or quickest route. With a motorhome, the trip is the destination. make it your way.
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #30

Thumbs up GPS

A lot of GOOD replies. I thank all of you. My Brothers in Camping.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #31
Back On The Go

I use a Garmin in conjunction with the printed Rand McNally truckers atlas. Never get into trouble that way.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHomey View Post
Something else you may want to consider - I use a cheap Digiland 7" Android tablet with Wifi and Bluetooth and a navigation app called CoPilot RV. It allows you to download the maps to the tablet so you don't need any type of connection and it also allows you to create different profiles for different vehicles (Motorhome, Truck, car), input size data and navigate based on the profile you choose. It has some pretty good route planning built in. The app used to be free but the only one I see now is a pay version of the app - a one time $59.99 charge, but I have not seen the need to upgrade yet.

I also use a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Torque Pro app to monitor engine and transmission performance on the tablet at the same time. Torque Pro runs in the background and will alert if a problem arises.

I used this setup when towing a TT with my diesel truck and now use it in the motorhome.

My cost for tablet, Bluetooth adapter and apps was less than $50. Even with the $59.99 charge for CoPilot RV, it would still be under $100.

AL

I second the Co-Pilot apps and torque pro or Dash command apps depending on android or apple systems. Bunches of you tubes and blogs on various versions of Co-Pilot..I've used it for travel for years.. No cellular service nor wifi needed for it to work (except for active traffic..which I recommend that $7 addition per year).

Pay one time and use it on all your cell phones and tablets...but I did have to buy it twice in my case as some of my units are iOS and most are android.

Many ways for " preferences " as to which type of roads to avoid or prefer..I have routing preferences for my towing mode, normal automobile preferences, and for when I'm I'm my convertible and want to find more scenic and less major thoroughfares .

Note it is a huge download for its maps ( auto updated at least quarterly) size for NA (North America) is about 2.3G ..yes that's gigs..
You can just download by regions or even states if your lacking storage space.

Once you have your gps on a tablet size you'll never go back unless you have to..like I do use mt cell phone to run it many times cause I don't have my tablet with me. At least at my increasing age and eyesight!
William_Tell46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #33

760 lmt rv is the best out there but still not 100% reliable. I use my phone gps as back up when in doubt or if issues arise.
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpelaez View Post
760 lmt rv is the best out there but still not 100% reliable. I use my phone gps as back up when in doubt or if issues arise.

Garmin with annual updates. No problems. Had several years.
Keeps up with my wife’s Lexus hybrid system
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #35

Is it okay to bump this up?

Just signed on the dotted line today for my first RV and looking for the best GPS options.

Have checked out both the latest Garmin and Rand McNally options and have seen both pros and cons.

I have also seen mention of Android app Co-Pilot, but looking at it, looks like the app hasn't been updated since sometime n 2016.

Would appreciate any help, as planning my very first trip in two weeks.

Thanks,

Glenn
glennh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #36

Sygic

I use Sygic Caravan. Specifically for RV's. Takes into consideration low overpass, narrow eds etc. Install on iPhone or Android. Offline mas. Go to play store for a free trial version.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennh View Post
Just signed on the dotted line today for my first RV and looking for the best GPS options.

Have checked out both the latest Garmin and Rand McNally options and have seen both pros and cons.

I have also seen mention of Android app Co-Pilot, but looking at it, looks like the app hasn't been updated since sometime n 2016.

Would appreciate any help, as planning my very first trip in two weeks.

Thanks,

Glenn
Glenn,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the new RV.

We currently use a Garmin 770 RV unit. I have always been partial to Garmin, but wanted a 7" RV GPS, so a couple of years ago I bought the Rand McNally /Good Sam GPS from Camping World.. I liked it, but apparently someone like it more than I did...broke into my truck and it was gone.

By that time, Garmin had come out with their new 770 (7", RV specific) so I bought one. BEST GPS I HAVE EVER OWNED. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

Enjoy your first outing in your new RV, and good luck finding the GPS that suites you best.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #38

GPS

I have always considered Garmin as the finest. Have used Garmin on my boats with great success. When I went down to buy one for my car, there was a Magellan setting next to it. All the specs seemed equal, but the Magellan price, with free life time updates was way less than the Garmin. So I bought the Magellan. Its a wonderful unit that I would definitely buy again.But I guarantee others will tell you different stories. Look at the specs, look at the prices, only buy a well know brand, and you'll be happy.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #39
Certified Curmudgeon

Had Rand McNally. Certifiable, unsupported junk.
Have older Garmin RV760LMT now. Works well and I can see the screen.
I wanted the bluetooth cell phone link. Since then, I obtained a smartphone and
the coach radio/camera has bluetooth. So I dont know if I would get a stand alone gps again.

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #40

If anyone is in the market, Groupon has the Garmin RV 660LMT with a 32GB micro SSD card for $268.
I was checking prices because I'm getting a used one from a buddy...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote