Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #21

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #22
DaLexusGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post

I just blow all the water out of the lines but I am not in an area with deep freezes. I did see a video where a guy removed the filter and replaced it with a sealed, empty water bottle inside the canister housing to take up space. Voila, less anti-freeze needed.
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #23

With the uses of a bye Pass Plate there will be no A F in the canister !!!
Old 11-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #24
Just as confused as you

Quote:

Hey Wolverine, haven't you learned that if the horse is dead, it doesn't matter how hard you beat it, the horse will never get up? Though, if you beat it long enough you might make dog food.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #25

The idea presented, replacing the filter with a water bottle, filled with sand or antifreeze is NOT a bad idea! If one winterizes with compressed air, the filter canister has to be removed and dumped. If one winterizes only with the pink stuff, the canister STILL has to be removed to remove the filter. Replacing the filter with a water bottle does a couple of things. Yes, one uses a tiny bit less of the pink stuff, but, more importantly, the pink stuff is NOT or is less diluted with any water that is left in the canister. When the warmer weather arrives, one still has to remove the canister, add a filter and flush the system. I see no downside! I did try a bypass plate, it leaked like a sieve. The horse is far from being dead!
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
The idea presented, replacing the filter with a water bottle, filled with sand or antifreeze is NOT a bad idea! If one winterizes with compressed air, the filter canister has to be removed and dumped. If one winterizes only with the pink stuff, the canister STILL has to be removed to remove the filter. Replacing the filter with a water bottle does a couple of things. Yes, one uses a tiny bit less of the pink stuff, but, more importantly, the pink stuff is NOT or is less diluted with any water that is left in the canister. When the warmer weather arrives, one still has to remove the canister, add a filter and flush the system. I see no downside! I did try a bypass plate, it leaked like a sieve. The horse is far from being dead!

Lesson learned on this horse, need a water bottle short enough to not block the outlet of the filter housing. Put a water bottle in there and suddenly no flow. 5 minutes scratching my head to discover the cap on the water bottle fit perfectly up into the outlet. Now GiddyUp!
[emoji237][emoji237][emoji237][emoji237][emoji237][emoji237][emoji237][emoji237]
Old 11-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
First time I tried the ByPass Plate it leaked,,, I remove & reinstated it,,, and it was ok,,, they are making the rubber to small !!! Next year I am going to try and find some rubber and make a larger pic ???
When I flush or sanitize I do it with no filter,,, and the first thing I open is the outside shower with the shower head removed !!!
As I said before we need to let this Co. know there product has a problem !!!

Old 11-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #28

Where can one get this bypass thingy?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
From the water filter bypass thingy store.

Seriously, Google is your friend.

Here is a Google search link for RV Water Filter Bypass.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you have an FR1/KW1 like this, you may want to remove it before it cracks and leaks all over your trailer. Lots of threads here with reports of this happening.

Attachment 189498

Replace the filter with a 1/2" coupler, about 67 cents at Home Depot.

Attachment 189499

Attachment 189500

Then either rig up the FR1/KW1 with hose sections to use outside or use the blue Camco filters.

Attachment 189501
No question that this is a good way to bypass an inside water filter and use an external one. (Good job, BTW).

Issue as I see it is that only the city water is being filtered with this setup. Since I like to boondock more than "resort camp" I prefer to have my "tank water" filtered as well. This pretty much requires that I keep a filter in the same location as where the factory installed it. Citty water AND tank water are both filtered. Since I chlorinate all water before it goes into the tank (even from known good sources) and the water is filtered before it leaves the tap, I have no qualms about drinking "tank water". No bugs and no taste.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
No question that this is a good way to bypass an inside water filter and use an external one. (Good job, BTW).

Issue as I see it is that only the city water is being filtered with this setup. Since I like to boondock more than "resort camp" I prefer to have my "tank water" filtered as well. This pretty much requires that I keep a filter in the same location as where the factory installed it. Citty water AND tank water are both filtered. Since I chlorinate all water before it goes into the tank (even from known good sources) and the water is filtered before it leaves the tap, I have no qualms about drinking "tank water". No bugs and no taste.
I use a filter at the water hydrant for city water. I clean and sanitize my fresh tank and plumbing each camping season and and use that same city water filter to filter the water going into the fresh tank. No need to filter it a second time with an on board filter or put up with the hassles of possible leakage, breaking from freezing or the extra antifreeze it holds.

We camped successfully for many years before the advent of on-board water filters. No bugs, no taste.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

We camped successfully for many years before the advent of on-board water filters. No bugs, no taste.
I installed filters on my old trailers that didn't come from the factory with one installed. Just my personal preference. In the beginning I used to filter when I filled my tank but there was always a "tank taste" to it. Perhaps I just have fussy "taste buds".

In the end it's all a matter of personal preference. I don't seem to have the issues many do with filters. I replace O-Rings as soon as they show signs of flattening when I open up to remove filter. This way the O-Ring works as intended and I don't have to over-tighten the canister that could result in cracking.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

You filter it as it goes into your tank.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Got mine from Amazon,,, they are not made for the KW 1 filter canister !!!

Old 11-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Quote:
Got mine from Amazon,,, they are not made for the KW 1 filter canister !!!

And if you've got the KW 1, bypass it permanently before it cracks and floods your trailer. See post #8.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, replacement, water, water filter