Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
DaLexusGuy

Water Filter Deformed? (Solved)

Hey all,

Just removed my 2801's water filter for the first time as part of winterization. On the end that goes up into the filter housing, the mouth and seal look deformed. It is like it wasn't centered and they jammed the housing on anyway.

The plot thickens...the blue filter housing is marked part number "KW1" but the canister filter housing says it takes a CC1-10-C filter (which looks totally different at the top). Soooo...it is not even the right filter. Yep, either the factory or dealer installed the wrong filter. Sad to say, but I am not at all surprised. Way to go, guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter photo 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	190680  
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #2

No, to my knowledge that is not normal. If you look at the indentations they are curved and I'd bet the exact same shape as the recess in the housing. Someone most likely just through the filter in the bowl housing and screwed it in place crushing the filter against the lips it's supposed to go in. You're supposed to insert the filter up into the head housing with a push/twist motion. It should stay by itself just from friction of the o-ring. Then screw the housing on and then it keeps the filter seated. Quite frankly I'm surprised they got the bowl on and it didn't leak. Oh, also if I'm correct then that filter was doing nothing the whole time as the water went around it, not through it. Also now you need to make sure the head isn't damaged and new filter will fit like it's supposed to.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

I'm sure that is the correct filter cartridge for that filter housing. I had the same filter in my Flagstaff 832IKBS but I removed it and replaced it with a external whole house filter. Reason is because the KW1 cartridge is expensive and the housing has a bad reputation for cracking, coming loose or leaking. There are many threads on that filter and it's problems and you will find that many members have removed theirs too.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I'm sure that is the correct filter cartridge for that filter housing. I had the same filter in my Flagstaff 832IKBS but I removed it and replaced it with a external whole house filter. Reason is because the KW1 cartridge is expensive and the housing has a bad reputation for cracking, coming loose or leaking. There are many threads on that filter and it's problems and you will find that many members have removed theirs too.
Couldn't agree more! Do a search in the forum here for issues with that filter, enough reading there to convince you.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
DaLexusGuy

Water Filter Deformed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post

When I went to put the new, correct style filter in, I found that the filter receiver housing had also been damaged In a similar manner to the filter. I sent photos of the damage to my dealer and Forester for their guidance. They confirmed my suspicions that the wrong filter had been installed. Neither my dealer or Forester admitted fault, but Forester is reimbursing me for the cost of a new water filter unit. Installed it yesterday and I am good to go.
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #6

water filter failure in obscure areas have ruined many campers when un-noticed water leaks until much damage has been done...

remove the filter, bypass the hoses, and get an external filter...

search water filter threads

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, water, water filter