Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Water filters

Is there any difference in the RV water filters vs a home water filter replacement? Thanks in advance!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
MontyPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 484
I think it depends on the unit. Neighbor has a 3 stage on his house and a 2 stage on his RV. Both use the same filter cartridge types.
__________________
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2016 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
Flagstaff T21TBHW
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 3,666
If you are referring to size, no. The newer FR filter housing takes a standard 10” filter. I buy mine where they are on sale. Many different types to choose from.
__________________

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,233
If your rig has the WaterPur filter housing. It will only accept a WaterPur KW1 filter. These are available on the web and some larger RV dealerships, Camping World, etc. The filters are substantially more expensive than the filters available from big box stores. Many folks have replaced the WaterPur filters. Many have decided to not install the new filter inside their trailer and replace the filter housing with a connector.

Do a search, LOTS of threads discuss this.
__________________
Al
I am starting to think, that I will never be old enough--------to know better.
Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be banned from thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles. Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, Russian Novelist
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,942
The most important thing to keep in ind is that the filters that come in the RV's for the most part have a horrible reputation for coming apart and flooding your trailer...just do a search in the forum, there are countless posts on the topic. Many have pulled the onboard filter out and opted for an outside filter. How complex you want to get with that is totally up to you. Some go simple and just use the blue Camco filter available from many locations, like Walmart and Amazon. Some use a whole house system purchased from the big box stores. Our last 2 trailers the removal of the onboard filter was the very first modification I did, didn't want the headache of any leaks. Some report the entire housing dropping in the middle of the night and waking to a gush of water...no thanks!
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
I think it depends on the unit. Neighbor has a 3 stage on his house and a 2 stage on his RV. Both use the same filter cartridge types.


Thanks!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:06 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
If you are referring to size, no. The newer FR filter housing takes a standard 10Ē filter. I buy mine where they are on sale. Many different types to choose from.


Thanks!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
The most important thing to keep in ind is that the filters that come in the RV's for the most part have a horrible reputation for coming apart and flooding your trailer...just do a search in the forum, there are countless posts on the topic. Many have pulled the onboard filter out and opted for an outside filter. How complex you want to get with that is totally up to you. Some go simple and just use the blue Camco filter available from many locations, like Walmart and Amazon. Some use a whole house system purchased from the big box stores. Our last 2 trailers the removal of the onboard filter was the very first modification I did, didn't want the headache of any leaks. Some report the entire housing dropping in the middle of the night and waking to a gush of water...no thanks!


Interesting, I will check into that!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
If your rig has the WaterPur filter housing. It will only accept a WaterPur KW1 filter. These are available on the web and some larger RV dealerships, Camping World, etc. The filters are substantially more expensive than the filters available from big box stores. Many folks have replaced the WaterPur filters. Many have decided to not install the new filter inside their trailer and replace the filter housing with a connector.



Do a search, LOTS of threads discuss this.


Thanks! Will check out!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker56 View Post
Interesting, I will check into that!


The RV dealer sold us one for the outside as well as one on the inside. Do you think that is necessary to have both?
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,428
Depends "What" you are trying to Filter and where! Really no need to Super filter water going to Toilet! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Depends "What" you are trying to Filter and where! Really no need to Super filter water going to Toilet! Youroo!!
Sediment filter on the outside and a high-quality, under-counter, 3-cartridge filter system with a dispenser in the kitchen for drinking water.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond Edition
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 4,823
camco outside and move on.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker56 View Post
The RV dealer sold us one for the outside as well as one on the inside. Do you think that is necessary to have both?
No, they do the same thing IF you get the same type of filter.
__________________

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Sediment filter on the outside and a high-quality, under-counter, 3-cartridge filter system with a dispenser in the kitchen for drinking water.

Bruce
I basically agree with this solution. However, for me, I didn't want any filter housings inside the trailer, mostly due to winterizing. So I have a pair of whf housings that I hang on my bumper and run both a sediment and a .5 micron outside and filter everything. The .5 gets to cysts and such, this may be overkill but it keeps me happy. I agree with Youroo, I really don't need to filter toilet water, but I would change the filters due to time before I would hit water volume anyway. So no $ negative to me for filtering in this way.
__________________
Al
I am starting to think, that I will never be old enough--------to know better.
Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be banned from thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles. Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, Russian Novelist
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #16
Shoulda' retired earlier
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Southern Worcester County
Posts: 1,108
4 years with the OE Waterpur , filters at Amazon are 4/$21, have had no leaks, remove the filter when I winterize(very easy, no additional parts required). I also use a camco blue filter at the spigot to keep hoses and water pressure regulator clean
__________________
Mary and Me 😷😷 Stay Safe
2015 2650s "Finally" SOLD
2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Diesel Cargo Van HR DRW EXT "Red Roamer"
"I haven't been everywhere but its on my list"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Do you change outdoor filter yearly?
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
4 years with the OE Waterpur , filters at Amazon are 4/$21, have had no leaks, remove the filter when I winterize(very easy, no additional parts required). I also use a camco blue filter at the spigot to keep hoses and water pressure regulator clean
As I read the questions, the 4/$21 filters are NOT a replacement for the WaterPur KW1 filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker56 View Post
Do you change outdoor filter yearly?
I generally change my filters every 3 months. Same schedule as my SnB filters. I have a pair of the solid blue housings to eliminate issues with algae growing in the sunlight.
__________________
Al
I am starting to think, that I will never be old enough--------to know better.
Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be banned from thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles. Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, Russian Novelist
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #19
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,774
Some clarification is needed regarding the previous posts. The WaterPur FR1 housing is the one that takes the KW1 filters and is the one that has a reputation for coming apart. If you have that housing, you need to read more on it and decide if you want to leave it in your system (inside the MH).

My WaterPur housing is the CCI-10-CLW which does not have a reputation for coming apart. My previous Roo hybrid had the same filter housing with no issues.

I buy my water filters from the RV Water Filter Store. I use their F1Pb filter cartridge.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox, B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #20
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,774
If you want to use a filter system outside, its recommended that you don't use clear housings. SailorSam20500 uses blue canisters. It doesn't matter what colour they are, just not clear.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox, B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water, water filter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.