RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

Water Freezing

Temperature is expected to be below freezing the next two nights and we are out camping. Staying at a full service site. I wrapped the incoming water line and was leaving the water on drip all night. We do not have the Artic package. Any other suggestions to prevent water lines from freezing?
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would empty the lines, put them away and put some water in the tank and make sure you burn some propane to heat the underbelly off the trailer.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #3

We have a Lexington, and if your Sunseeker is similar in where the lines ant tanks are...
your fresh water tank is probably inside, so fill it so you have fresh water available. Your water lines and water pump are also all probably inside, and as long as your heating the inside of your rig, your fresh water and internal water lines should be OK.
Disconnect the outside water hose, empty it of water and store it inside. Additionally, empty your black and gray tanks, disconnect the sewer hose and store it away. I'd run a few gallons of water into each tank, and unless it's a really hard and long freeze, you should be OK there also. It will take quite awhile for 5-6 gallons of water to freeze. If your really worried about the black and gray tanks, which are probably under your rig, get a few gallons of rv antifreeze and pour it into the pottie/into black tank, and a gallon or two down f
drain to gray tank.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies! Before for this trip I put two gallons of rv antifreeze in the fresh water tank knowing that it would be below freezing temperatures when we returned home. I guess I will need to empty that and run some bleach through the fresh water tank.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
Site Team

It is not recommended or necessary to put RV antifreeze in the FW tank. If it is drained, and the drain valve open, the little bit of water in it will not hurt anything. It is too hard to remove the antifreeze from FW tank. If it is very cold for any period of time the items I would be most concerned about are the outside shower, the black and gray water drain lines just before the gate valve and hose from city water. These items items are the most likely to freeze first if you are occupying a heated unit.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexstone View Post
Thanks for the replies! Before for this trip I put two gallons of rv antifreeze in the fresh water tank knowing that it would be below freezing temperatures when we returned home. I guess I will need to empty that and run some bleach through the fresh water tank.
You really should not put antifreeze in the the fresh water tank.

Often times the suction hose doesn't connect to the bottom of the tank and makes for getting ALL the antifreeze out virtually impossible without adding LOTS & LOTS of water many times over.

Besides, any small amount of water in the fresh tank (once drained) can expand when frozen without damage because there is plenty of room for expansion and it isn't under pressure.

Best of luck!

EDIT:
FlyBob typed faster!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Not bleach, white vinegar and a couple rinses.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I would empty the lines, put them away and put some water in the tank and make sure you burn some propane to heat the underbelly off the trailer.

Hee hee, I certainly hope he doesn't!

I just couldn't resist.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave, New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,TV-2015 LTZ Duramax with over 156,000 miles, with delete done, 2014 Polaris RZR 800 EPS/ 11,700 miles
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #9

Thanks all! Will buy the white vinegar!!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
WFD

Before getting all excited....how much below freezing are they forecasting?? That makes a world of difference.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #11

The high for the next 2 days is 30 and the low is 18.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #12
Newb

Quote:
The high for the next 2 days is 30 and the low is 18.
That's what it is here right now 18, and this what my pink icy stuff looks like in the toilet. And I have the artic package.
Stealth FQ2916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #13

Wow that looks like it's on the verge of freezing. So does the artic package only heat the holding tanks?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #14

Pretty much that's all. "Arctic Pack" is just basically small heating pads on bottom of exterior holding tanks.
A truly cold weather rated rig would have extra insulation, dual pane windows and maybe heated outer compartments. But there hard to find and usually not available on lower/medium priced rv's.
Grumpy

Old 01-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Pretty much that's all. "Arctic Pack" is just basically small heating pads on bottom of exterior holding tanks.
A truly cold weather rated rig would have extra insulation, dual pane windows and maybe heated outer compartments. But there hard to find and usually not available on lower/medium priced rv's.
Grumpy
I tend to disagree. On my 335DS I do have arctic pac heaters on the tanks themselves as well as on the waste elbows to prevent them from freezing. In addition my basement compartments that have water filters, pumps and piping are directly heated by the furnace and also have baffles that isolate them from the outside door panels. I have run for days in 10 to 15 degree temperatures with no problems as long as my furnace was running. I admit that i was concerned about it but my experience has been excellent. I would not, however, try to do this with park water connected.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I tend to disagree. On my 335DS I do have arctic pac heaters on the tanks themselves as well as on the waste elbows to prevent them from freezing. In addition my basement compartments that have water filters, pumps and piping are directly heated by the furnace and also have baffles that isolate them from the outside door panels. I have run for days in 10 to 15 degree temperatures with no problems as long as my furnace was running. I admit that i was concerned about it but my experience has been excellent. I would not, however, try to do this with park water connected.
I was referring to standard/regular class c and trailers, not a higher priced class a. Most of your "regular" rv's, if equipped with as arctic pack, will simply have heat pads on the bottom of the exterior tanks.
Class a's are a whole different ball game. Your water inlets, filters, ect are usually in outside compartments, and need heat.
Class c and trailers usually have, if equipped, filters inside, and a simple water fill port for fresh water that feeds into an interior tank.
The OP has a class c, and Forrest River lists the arctic pack as just the heat pads.
Grumpy

Old 01-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #17

Just a quick update. We disconnected the city water and flushed out the fresh water tank. We set the furnace on 63 last night. I placed a bottle of water in each outside compartment and none of froze. It was 17 this morning and the high today is expected to be 30. Tonight is going to be another cold one. Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #18
Site Team

Did you check the outside shower. Most all of it is plastic and usually the first to go.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth FQ2916 View Post
That's what it is here right now 18, and this what my pink icy stuff looks like in the toilet. And I have the artic package.
Looks like a hockey puck....lol
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #20

Yes, I already had rv antifreeze in that line. Thanks for asking!

Tags
water