Old 01-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #1
Senior Gold Member

Water getting into storage bins

I have a 2018 Sunseeker 3010 DS and havenít noticed water getting into lower storage bins much but after getting my rig washed in a large drive through RV wash in Arizona there was water in the bottom of most of my storage bays. There was a large device that traveled along the length of the motorhome but it appeared to be a low pressure rinse. The unit was hand washed using low pressure hoses and brushes and yet water got into most of the bins. Is this common? The bin doors seem to fit snugly and the bin frames are caulked fairly well.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #2

Very similar problem with my 2018 Sunseeker 2400R MBS when driving in the rain. I keep my stuff in weather-proof tote bins in the storage compartments. Since water can get in, dust can (and does) get in there too. Spare towels/sponge to sop up the water. Local dealer caulked things; not much help, tho.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #3

I have a 2016 3010DS. Double check the seals and the edge of the bins where they meet the door frame. I had that happen, and I found some of the seals had shrunk, leaving a gap where the edges meet, also I found my rear storage compartment caulking around the edge, where it meets the door frame had pulled away from the frame, enough to allow water in. Hope this helps.
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:17 PM   #4
Site Team

I was able to stop all but one of my leaking doors by tightening the clasps. Bent them all In a little bit so they squished the seals tighter when latched. Needs better seals.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 PM   #5

Now you know why they put those "quick drain" plugs in each bin.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
I have a 2018 Sunseeker 3010 DS and havenít noticed water getting into lower storage bins much but after getting my rig washed in a large drive through RV wash in Arizona there was water in the bottom of most of my storage bays. There was a large device that traveled along the length of the motorhome but it appeared to be a low pressure rinse. The unit was hand washed using low pressure hoses and brushes and yet water got into most of the bins. Is this common? The bin doors seem to fit snugly and the bin frames are caulked fairly well.

The Black Silicone chalk that they use is worthless !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #7

Storage bin leaks

Had the same problem with my Forester. One of the storage areas would keep getting water in it. Dealer replaced weather stripping. Said it was torn. I never noticed it, but like another poster, I believe the weather strip shrunk so the door did not seal properly.
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #8

I added a second seal around he edge of the opening. I also, discovered water entering around the locks. I removed them and put plumbers grease around them. No water anymore.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #9
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Water getting into storage bins

We only have one storage bin that leaks. It got all wet inside when driving in a heavy rain. I got my head and shoulders into it limbo-style and discovered it was half way caulked. As if the builder was called away or ran out of caulk and forgot to return and finish the job. I finished the caulking and so far, so good.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
I have a 2016 3011DS which is essentially the same as a 2010. Assuming FR is still constructing these the same way in the 2018 models, you should keep an eye out for water in the long compartment under the Living room slide. To provide access to the emergency retraction, FR cut part of the top off of this compartment. Never really thought much about this until we arrived at a camp ground one day after many hours of driving through multiple downpours. I opened this compartment to find several of my plastic storage bins full of water. As it turns out, this compartment is just in front of the rear wheel and during the course of driving water got thrown off the tires and onto the top of the compartment and inside where the ruler is shown in the attached picture.

I would like to believe this was somehow an oversight during construction and in not normally an issue, but I would check your unit just to make sure it's not a problem for you as well. The fix was simple enough. I put some wood between the slide bottom and compartment top and then used expanding foam to fill in the gap between the wood and opening towards the tire. The foam sealed this up really well and I have not had a problem since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_173334.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	222384  

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, water