Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

Water in cab

Has anyone had a massive leak above the cab where the water pours out of every hole in the trim. I have a 2017 3010ds that I purchased in April and twice it has given me a shower. - like over a gallon type of shower. The dealership the first time said it was the air ducts being improperly installed and it condensing inside the front end - now they don't know what where it could be coming from. It's now been in the shop for 65 days to fix all the issues. So has anyone had a shower in their cab?
tundraman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #2

Subscribed. I have the same problem but other threads on this topic have no conclusive solution(s)
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

That sounds like to much water to be condensation. I would think it getting in the roof somewhere. It could also be your ac drain which does produce quite a bit of water is not draining properly and getting into the rig
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #4

That's the interesting part- the air conditioner drains like normal off the side so I think there has to be a leak somewhere - I'm pushing the dealership to do a pressure test to figure this out - it's just frustrating when it's so new and forest river is saying they are fixing some of this as goodwill gestures. This is my fourth rv and never anything like this...
tundraman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
Chief tinkerer

Tundra, we have the same unit. No water leaking. FR should get all over this quickly.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Tundra, we have the same unit. No water leaking. FR should get all over this quickly.
Ditto.... Same unit here with no problems and I've been in massive storms as recently as this morning.
I also agree FR should be jumping on this to find out if there is something being done wrong at the factory.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

I watched the service people at the Goshen Rally perform a pressure test on a Class C that was leaking over the cab( don't remember the model).

Water was getting in at the seam across the top where roof and cap meet. They blew out a lot of water out of the trim.

They resealed the top and retested the next day by soaking the area with water and pressurizing again.
No more leak.
They even went over all the other seams with a pump-up sprayer of soapy water while it was pressurized but didn't find anymore.

They used a big blower with about a 6 inch diameter hose attached to a door-sized piece of siding that was locked into the door opening.

This type leak is a somewhat common occurence but not sure of the exact cause other than separation at the seam.

I didn't watch the repair but learned by listening that it involved removing any loose or curled sealant, cleaning and then re-taping with Eteranbond tape and resealing with Dicor self-leveling sealant.

Having said all that, the repair should be covered under warranty. I just thought you'd be interested in how it was done by factory technicians.

If you decide to do the repair yourself, the tape and sealant are available at rv supply stores and at Amazon.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #8

Water in cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraman67 View Post
Has anyone had a massive leak above the cab where the water pours out of every hole in the trim. I have a 2017 3010ds that I purchased in April and twice it has given me a shower. - like over a gallon type of shower. The dealership the first time said it was the air ducts being improperly installed and it condensing inside the front end - now they don't know what where it could be coming from. It's now been in the shop for 65 days to fix all the issues. So has anyone had a shower in their cab?

Ours did this too. When it rains the water runs out of the rain gutters (on ours, the front of the MH sits lower in the front when in our driveway), down the side of the MH over the cabover side windows (our MH didn't come with the rain gutter spouts in front, only in the back). We had the windows re-sealed( by the dealership) and it hasn't leaked since. I have also purchased some RV gutter spouts, but haven't installed them yet.
I hope that this helps you...it sux(and you shouldn't have to deal with)a leak on a brand new MH.

Good luck Safe travels!
Old 09-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #9

The other thing to check is your front clearance lights.

I had a leak on my Forester that came out through the trim track on the right side. I checked closely and found a small split in the caulking on the right edge of the cap. I don't know if the water came through there or around the window so I resealed the cap and put a bead of Proflex on the top and front of the overhead bunk windows. While I was at it I double checked the clearance lights and put a bead of Proflex around the top of them.

So far no more leaks and my Forester sits nose low just like the Sunseeker.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #10

Many have said what Forester Fred said above. Definately would check.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #11

I had a very similar if not exact leak with water escaping from under the trim on the cap on the bottom. After inspecting it at the Goshen rally this year they could not find any sealant issues but did reseal the 5 clearance lights on the front cap as a precaution. It was then tested the next day as Netgain explained and they were unable to find any leaks. Based on this it was determined that the clearance lights were the point of water intrusion.
The tech indicated that the chrome bezels on a few of them were spinning freely indicating that most likely the gaskets were not sealing properly. A bit of silicone sealant was applied both under the lamp assemblies and around the top edge.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
I had a very similar if not exact leak with water escaping from under the trim on the cap on the bottom. After inspecting it at the Goshen rally this year they could not find any sealant issues but did reseal the 5 clearance lights on the front cap as a precaution. It was then tested the next day as Netgain explained and they were unable to find any leaks. Based on this it was determined that the clearance lights were the point of water intrusion.
The tech indicated that the chrome bezels on a few of them were spinning freely indicating that most likely the gaskets were not sealing properly. A bit of silicone sealant was applied both under the lamp assemblies and around the top edge.
Steve, do you know how to remove these front clearance lights? (I'm assuming they need to be removed to seal them?) We have one where the chrome bezel is spinning freely and based on your info I'm thinking we should seal it.

Thanks.

Sandy
Old 09-03-2017, 07:57 PM   #13

Sandy,
I was not present when the tech pulled the lights. When I spoke with him the next day he said they are just a pressure fit into the hole. He said he pulled them out as far as he could and just worked sealant behind the gasket and reseated them. He then put sealant around the perimeter of the light assy. When I got up to look the sealant was generously applied around the light. He used a clear sealant so it is not visible unless you get close.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:38 AM   #14

I had the same problem with my 2016 3010ds. Seems water was coming from on top of cabover windows. I caulked the window tops and put front gutter spouts on. Problem eliminated.And by the way those guys at the Goshen rally were unbelievable. I had a couple of young men Kris and Mike they just would not stop until they considered my camper was worthy of their final seal of approval. I hunted down their boss to commend them he later wanted to meet with me at my camper. He wanted to know if there was anything else they could possibly do for me. He decided that he needed to ship me some goodies. Big shout out to the FR guys.
izzaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Sandy,
I was not present when the tech pulled the lights. When I spoke with him the next day he said they are just a pressure fit into the hole. He said he pulled them out as far as he could and just worked sealant behind the gasket and reseated them. He then put sealant around the perimeter of the light assy. When I got up to look the sealant was generously applied around the light. He used a clear sealant so it is not visible unless you get close.
Thanks Steve. This will help me.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #16

Once it dries put Eternabond tape on every seam. I did and sleep easy that water will not penetrate the seams. Now the marker lights, side hatches and windows give me nightmares but not the roof.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:12 AM   #17
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Omigosh we got dumped on horribly in March of this year. It turned out to be the front cap. It looked fine just to go up there and inspect. If you poked and prodded the caulking it was just sitting there not very well attached to roof. The dealer kept it for weeks. Long enough to have a mouse family take over. Anyway. They recaulked and dried out and on and on. I really really want to use Eternabond tape, but my husband doesnít think itís so necessary. I might order everything and do it one day when Iím off and heís at work.
The service manager says itís happened a lot in 2015s and 2016s. He thinks they used some inferior caulking. The dealer used Dicor.

Tags
water