Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Water Tank Fills When On City Water

I tried searching for info on the problem but couldn’t find anything.

We hook up the water hose at a campground, turn the lever to city water and the fresh water tank fills. At first it would fill slowly over a couple of days, but now the water goes directly into the fresh water tank. What’s going on?
Sewgratefulquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #2

Bad check valve

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forest River Forums mobile app
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #3

I saw this last week. check valve in water pump sticks. there is a way you can possibly reset it without tearing into it. I'm sure some one with the specifics steps will chime in.
Kimber45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #4

Go to the search box in the upper right corner. search "Water pump check valve" you will find hours or reading.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

You may be able to clear the problem. Disconnect City, release all pressure, turn pump on with cold water open (anywhere). Shut water off. Wait until pump stops, turn pump off. Release pressure. Reconnect city. Keep fingers crossed.

If that does not clear the check valve, you might have to clean it. 4 screws to remove it. Its just a rubber diaphram.

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #6

I am at the end of a two month trip and the same thing happened to us three weeks ago. I did the research and the best solution that worked is to turnoff the city water, with the pump off open a faucet to relieve pressure, then close the faucet and and open the city water valve. The city water pressure can seat the check valve better with no pressure behind it. This has worked for the last three weeks, I will take the pump apart and inspect/replace the check valve after we get home.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You've received correct answers about the water pump check valve and how to reset it.

Sorry you had issues searching this issue as it is one of the most discussed topics on the forum.

One more thing... are you using a quality water pressure regulator on the city water supply? High city pressure can often overcome the pump's internal check valve.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Answers above should solve your problem. Do not run water pump when on city water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewgratefulquilts View Post
We hook up the water hose at a campground, turn the lever to city water and the fresh water tank fills. At first it would fill slowly over a couple of days, but now the water goes directly into the fresh water tank. What’s going on?
5picker and Flybob, would this be a good time to consider this fresh tank/city water valve as a suspect in this crime? I have independent "openings" - not a single "opening" with a lever. I think I've read these switch-over valves can also stick/fail. Just asking.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 40; Booked for 2022 = 70
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #10

I had that happen when I mistakenly turned on the water pump while attached to city water. It filled my fresh tank. I was in a FHU site so I turned off the city water and used the water pump to pump the water to the galley tank which emptied to the sewer connection. When the tank emptied I turned off the pump and turned the city water back on. No more issues but now I am really careful about switches.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
5picker and Flybob, would this be a good time to consider this fresh tank/city water valve as a suspect in this crime? I have independent "openings" - not a single "opening" with a lever. I think I've read these switch-over valves can also stick/fail. Just asking.
Well, it's certainly a possibility to consider since the valve mentioned does provide a path for city water to enter (fill) the tank as that's its real job.

I've just never seen one fail but that doesn't mean they don't.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #12

Thanks for the answers. Will give the suggestions a try.

Only once did I accidentally leave the pump on when using city water for a quick moment. As soon as I heard it I shut it off.

How do you know if you have a “quality water pressure regulator?” Bought the brass one the dealer suggested for @$8.

Ran the search again for water pump check valve and found nothing. I’m in the Forester section. Should I be somewhere else?

Really appreciate the help. I used to do nothing but cook and clean and enjoy the ride. Now I’m driver, repairwoman, trip planner, financial planner, caregiver, etc., etc. Trying to give him some happiness while I can and rving is the only thing that interests him. This forum has helped so much. Teaches me what to look for and how to do some things for myself. Never thought I’d be using a screwdriver or figuring out how to use an air compressor. Maybe I should buy an Rv repair book!

Thanks everyone.
Sewgratefulquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #13
Site Team

This problem is not unique to Forester. Don't use the 'Search this Forum' function. If you are on the full site, use the Search 3 places from the right end of the green bar near the top. It's between "New Posts" and "Quick Links".

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 40; Booked for 2022 = 70
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #14

Had this problem for over a year

I day this same problem. I tried all the suggested fixes. I notice that the pump kept running and never building up pressure completely. I thought i had a leak in plumbing. there was no leak when on city water. So i kept believing that something was keeping the check valve from seating. The pump is a year old but I check it anyway and found that the screws holding diaphragm in was not real tight. I tighten them and pump started working properly building up pressure and shutting off. I was excited. So i hooked up city water and after several hours tank is not filling up anymore.
brightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #15
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewgratefulquilts View Post
Really appreciate the help. I used to do nothing but cook and clean and enjoy the ride. Now I’m driver, repairwoman, trip planner, financial planner, caregiver, etc., etc. Trying to give him some happiness while I can and rving is the only thing that interests him. This forum has helped so much. Teaches me what to look for and how to do some things for myself. Never thought I’d be using a screwdriver or figuring out how to use an air compressor. Maybe I should buy an Rv repair book!

Thanks everyone.
You are a remarkable woman. You don't need to buy an RV repair book. You already have one here.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, tank, water, water tank