Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #21

Which ever battery/batteries you choose consider a Flow-Rite Pro Fill system to keep them as near maintenance free as possible. I connect the fill hose to the battery line and drop the other end into a one gallon jug of distilled water once a month and in seconds all batteries are filled.
I have 4 6 volt batteries onboard my Cedar Creek and they are in tight quarters. If it were not for the Flow-Rite system I would have real trouble servicing them.
My Trojan batteries are 44 months old and still doing their job. You can be sure that when necessary their replacements will carry the same name.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #22

We installed two each 6-volt Exide batteries, rigged in series, in our new 2016 Cardinal 3250 5er. We would buy Exide brand again, if necessary. Performance to date has been exemplary. Check out their website to see if they have a battery that meets your dimensions. Two 6-volt RV batteries typically gives much higher amp-hour capacity than two 12-volt batteries wired in parallel.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:58 PM   #23

You asked about size batteries: Group 31 in a DEEP CYCLE battery will provide about 105 amp hours each or 210 total.
You have also been advised that a pair of golf carts is the best choice. They would provide about the same amphours in series...The main advantage is that you can get wet cels cheaper than 12V group 31's. The main downside is that if ONE fails...you have NO battery power you can use. If a single 12V group 31 fails you still have the other one. Your choice.

You also said maintenance free...Maintenance FREE ...is the name for a cheap, sealed starting or dual purpose battery...using a large sealed reservoir of acid. It is NOT what you want. You want AGM (absorbed glass mat) which IS maintenance free but comes in deep cycle versions which ID what you need.

As to mfr. choice for AGMS... in either 6 volt or 12V... Trojan, DEKA/EAST Penn made brands with DC in their model numbers, Lifeline.
AGM's will cost about 2x as much as their wet cell counterparts.

Whatever you decide...get a real battery monitor (Victron/Trimetric) to take care of your expensive new batteries... it will pay for itself and save you from murdering them.
++++++++++++++
A correction to one of the posts above. Delphi is NOT a manufacturer of batteries. Their battery business was bought by Johnson Controls in 2009.
The major mfr. left off the list is East Penn/Deka who also make many private label batteries in addition to their own brand.

Other smaller mfrs that do a great job of making good batteries for deep cycle use are:
Trojan, Concorde, Oasis/Firefly, Odyssey, Rolls, Surette.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
Two 6-volt RV batteries typically gives much higher amp-hour capacity than two 12-volt batteries wired in parallel.
Not really true. EXIDE's deep cycle 12V batts in group27 and 31 provide 210 & 230 ah's per pair respectively. Their GC2 models vary between 186 and 245 ah's in series @ 12V.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #25

I replace batteries at work on a regular basis for almost two decades...
Trojan outlasts and out performs every brand we've tried by a margin that covers their higher price.

Exide, Interstate and Optima (forgetting a couple)...Do not compare when used and abused in various equipment at work. We date log install on new batteries...all that I've tried other than Trojan need to be replaced at least 50% sooner and their ability to hold a deep charge is greatly reduced sooner.

Does any of that industrial abuse pertain to an occasional use in an RV application? I'm not really sure but when mine need to be replaced it will be with Trojan.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #26

House batteries

If you've got room, highly encourage you to look into using two 6v "golf cart" deep cycle batteries. A couple years ago I switched from 2 12v to just 2 6v and since then have never had low battery power issues when dry camping. I just acquired a new 2017 Georgetown 270s and had the dealer swap the factory installed 12v batteries with the two year old 6v batteries from my old rig.

Trojan and Crown are top rated brands but are pricey. Like my really experienced friend recommended, I've been using the Costco Interstate brand. Reasonable price for the amp hours. But they are not the "maintenance free" type.

The good news is the same as the bad news: You have huge number of options to choose from.....
JTseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #27

No matter what battery and configuration you choose keep battery charge "topped off" for maximum life. This means plugged in when in storage or not used.
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I'm having very good luck with the Interstate deep cycle batteries. Not as expensive as some and have held up well.
X2....I have been having good luck with Interstate also.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobnCari View Post
No matter what battery and configuration you choose keep battery charge "topped off" for maximum life. This means plugged in when in storage or not used.
Or as I've done, put the batteries in a TorkLift Solar locking battery box and let mother nature do the maintaining.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
Or as I've done, put the batteries in a TorkLift Solar locking battery box and let mother nature do the maintaining.
Yep. Good idea
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I currently only have 1 house battery in my RV but will be replacing it with 2. I have seen mention here somewhere that it takes type 31 batteries. Is that the case? Any recommendations on brand of battery? I and my nephew have had Advance Auto car batteries die within a year so I want to steer clear of those. I do plan to buy mntc free batteries.

Thx
Did your Sunseeker only come with 1 house battery ???
Our 2013 came with 2 maintenance free 31s !!!
Someone said the size is on the top of the battery,,, not on ours !!!
I had to measure the batteries to determine the size !!!
I think I may need to change ours this spring,,, I am planning on going with Sam's Duracell Batteries !!! They have 2 different 31s,,, one is just under $100 and one is just over $100 ????????
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #32

I replaced my 2 group 31 batteries with these and they fit in the same box, they are taller but shorter so I just added a block to keeo them from sliding around. They out perform the the 31s.
https://www.bargainshore.com/XTR6-23...y-_p_3590.html
Another high quality battery that I have used in my houseboat for years is Rolls Surrette. They have thicker plates than most other deep cycle batteries, if you look at the longevity they are less expensive than cheaper batteries.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #33

We can't use taller batteries in our sunseekers because the battery box is under a step !!!
+ I am not spend $580 for 2 batteries !!!
When I can get 2 Duracells Maintenance Free RV Batteries for about $200 !!!
Each to there own !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
... they are taller but shorter ...
Reading this made me giggle.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #35
larryandamy

Brand of batteries

I have used the expensive Optima batteries (+$200) and the Costco Marine/RV deep cycle batteries ($75) and I did not see any difference in battery capacity or life. I can buy 3 Costco batteries for 1 Optima battery. The only negative is having to check your battery fluid level twice a year. With the new smart solar charge controllers and battery tenders, they cycle battery charges to keep the batteries healthy and extend life.

There is always the argument about two 6V golf cart batteries vs 12V batteries. From what I have read/heard... those with the 6V batteries swear by them and those with the 12V batteries also swear by them. The only real technical difference is that the 6V batteries do have larger plates which does give a longer lifetime by maybe from 3 to 5 with a 12V to 4 to 6 with a 6V. They say that 6V batteries have a lot more capacity, but that is a myth as most compare two 6V batteries in series (to get 12V) to one 12V battery. If you compare two 6V batteries in series to two 12V batteries in parallel, the capacities are almost the same, with slightly more for the 6V batteries, but insignificant. I prefer the two 12V batteries in parallel because if a cell or 2 degrades in one of the 12V batteries, I still have a 12V power source. With two 6V batteries in series, if one cell dies or degrades you are dead with no 12V power at all. If space is a factor, i think the 6V batteries are slightly smaller.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #36

I offered some information if it isn’t what you like no need to get huffy.
I have modified those under step battery boxes for customers in the past who want the extra benefits of those taller AGM batteries, they also charge faster than flooded batteries. The AGM battery can also be mounted on the side which may help some applications. As for comparing Optima with flat cell batteries there is no comparison because a spiral cell simply has less plate surface area and I have not seen them perform better or last any longer. As for 12 vs 6 it is about what fits if you can’t improve upon that. You probably won’t find find a group 31 that will give you 235 ah. But they are lower in profile. The surface area of either voltage is what tells the story. As far as losing a cell goes , testing at the batteries every 6 months will prevent most of that and if you have a large feed from your truck you can run you vehicle enough to get you time to get new ones, it is rare anyway these days. In the last ten years I replaced only one battery for someone which actually had a bad cell and it was a 12v.
Catchy names like Optima and dura something, cell for batteries or max for engines means nothing. It just makes people feel cozy.
I have been working with batteries for over 50 years and building solar systems for 18 years mostly off grid. I still do some work for others in my home shop.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleybiker View Post
Interstate has a 6v 225 AH golf cart deep cycle battery GC2-ECL-UTL, which is receiving good reports. Two of these at 63 lbs each go for about $143 each at Interstate wholesalers nationwide.
Out here on West coast, at least, Costco sells an Interstate GC2 6v rated at 208 amps for $84 plus tax and exchange or core charge. Hard to beat.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
I have used the expensive Optima batteries (+$200) and the Costco Marine/RV deep cycle batteries ($75) and I did not see any difference in battery capacity or life. I can buy 3 Costco batteries for 1 Optima battery. The only negative is having to ch

If you compare two 6V batteries in series to two 12V batteries in parallel, the capacities are almost the same, with slightly more for the 6V batteries, but insignificant. I prefer the two 12V batteries in parallel because if a cell or 2 degrades in one of the 12V batteries, I still have a 12V power source. With two 6V batteries in series, if one cell dies or degrades you are dead with no 12V power at all. If space is a factor, i think the 6V batteries are slightly smaller.
My two 6v batteries have more available amperage than the three Group 24 s that I had in my old trailer. Not to mention that these things average a third or half again better life span than the so called Marine batteries from the auto parts store.

No matter what battery, maintain both water and charge. And always avoid more than 50 discharge before charging. As a normal rule: At a rested voltage a battery is 50 % discharged at 12v. Fully charged is normally 12.7 volts at rest and 10.5 is DEAD and maybe permanently damaged.

Most of the time, the people complaining about short battery life have failed the above. Many RVs have a parasitic draw even when you think they are shut down. Being sure batteries are well charged and fully disconnected will make most of them last for years
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #39
Certified Curmudgeon

There is a parallel thread on this subject over in our Forester brothers section. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1661431
There is some good info there and a whole new group of folks you can knock on. Or, you can simply assume positive intent...

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #40

Yes proper maintenance is the life of batteries. Heres the scoop.

The single most important thing for any lead acid technology, whether it be Wet Cell, GEL or AGM. When you have a fully charged battery, the negative plate is considered lead and the positive plate is considered lead dioxide. When you discharge both plates they become lead sulfate. Hence the term “Sulfated or Sulfation” This is a natural occurrence. The way you convert lead sulfate back to lead and lead dioxide is to simply recharge the batteries. If batteries are left sitting in a discharged state the lead sulfate can begin to harden. It looks very much like crystals under a microscope. The longer it sits this way, the harder it is to remove. Leaving batteries in a discharged state can actually ruin them faster than over charging and it’s imperative that when they’re stored they’re fully charged. They can either sit on a charger in float or in standby mode or simply fully charged, disconnected and recharged once every 90 days to avoid sulfation.

Tags
batteries