RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #21
Sophomore Campers

We're going to go look at it again, more closely tomorrow morning.
MizzouMan_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #22

This is my second new Sunseeker by Forest River. My first unit was another brand. I too think you get a lot for your money with the Sunseeker. No, I have not had any cabinets fall off the walls. Both my new units had a number of issues, mainly cosmetic in the beginning, make sure you go through the unit thoroughly before accepting the unit formally. A friend of mine bought a similar size Winnebago about the same time. It too had numerous cosmetic issues, so I assume it's not just peculiar to Forest River.

As far as the Ford chassis, there's a lot of them out there, kind of a proven unit. Good luck whatever your choice.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #23
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
We've got a 2016 FR Sunseeker 2250 slec that is perfect size for the two of and one or two of our grandsons . Ours has the corner bedroom slide ,which we love as opposed to the 2301 w/ a corner bed that is tough for two people to get in & out of. Good luck !
I have a 2013 Sunseeker 2250Slec, and I agree about the bed, HOWEVER if I want to go anywhere I have to retract the slideout, which can be a PITA.

I have had very few problems. The cabinets, appliances etc. are holding up nicely. Only the shelves in the closet have been cut too narrow and fall off the brackets (duh!). Another thing is that the cab radio comes on when I turn on the power switch for the house battery, and if I don't notice it, it runs down the engine battery. Obviously something is cross-wired, but I haven't been able to locate it yet (anybody have any ideas?). Other than that, I have had very few problems that couldn't be corrected by the dealer (e.g. leaky bathroom faucet).

The only thing I DON'T like is the dinette. The benches are not deep enough for adults and the cushions are rock-hard, and they are especially uncomfortable for sleeping. For sitting, I remove the back cushions and use pillows instead which makes it slightly better. I am considering replacing the dinette with a jackknife sofa and a folding table.

Other than that, I am quite satisfied, especially since it has a Chevrolet chassis.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMan_2000 View Post
Hey all,

My family of 4 is looking to jump into camping head first. We were considering a travel trailer, but came across some Class C's that have been interesting.

One of those was a 2290S, brand new 2017 on GM chassis and what seems like a sweet deal.

Another, a brand I won't mention, is a used 2016 with about 25k miles and about $10k difference.

So, the dealer with the used unit basically says the sun seekers are not durable, cabinets fall of the walls, etc.

I wish I'd remembered this forum sooner and posted the question last Friday, after finding the 2290S.

So, let me hear it. What do you like/hate about your sunseekers in general. And if you have a 2290S, I particularly want to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!
I have a 2014 Sunseeker, 2500 TS. All cabinets are intact. No problem there. The only thing I do not like is the arrangement of the screen door. It makes it hard to open the main door.

I solve the problem as follows. I removed the screen door and installed the hanging screens that come in two pieces (left and right) The edges that meet in the middle have magnets so you just push through and the screens automatically close via the magnets. I like this arrangement very much. You may have seen these advertised on TV.

I first bought a set in the dollar store for $3. All this showed me was that the principle works. They did not last long. Then I bought a much more substantial set in Home Depot and they are great.

The only other issue I have is that between the sun visors there is a light that does not work and I have not been able to find anyone who can make it work. This is a minor detail.

Pete
papakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Plan there is to possibly use a local rental as needed rather than tow something around.
We had a 25' FR Solera and didn't tow. We traveled nearly 40,000 miles in it and didn't miss having a toad very often. We just planned accordingly ... stop for supplies, or at a restaurant before checking in the CG. And a few times, when we knew we'd need, or like to have, a car, we rented. Enterprise comes to pick you up both when you get the rental and when you need to return it. That couldn't be any handier!!
Old 03-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Thanks, Brian217.

The dealer of the used unit, of course, was really talking down the FR brand because it's not a brand they sell. Something about not using aluminum in the superstructure, so the cabinets & such don't stay attached well.

Curious thing, though,... I had heard that Forrest River rolls up to 'Thor' ownership at the top level and the dealer of the used unit does sell Thor brand RVs... So, if it's true that Thor owns the FR brand, then he's basically talking down his own products.
Thor does not own the FR brand. Forest River is owned by Warren Buffet.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #27

Thumbs up Sunseeker, Chevy Chassis

We have a 25 foot Sunseeker 2300 that was delivered in October 2015. We didn't want the hassle of a slide out, and don't miss one.

After advice from our dealer, and checking on the forum, we went with the Chevy chassis.

In addition to the handling issue, the doghouse on the Ford gets so hot that you can't let you leg touch it, and they cost more than the Chevy!

I am very happy with the Chevy, and never looked back!

Longhunter
Northern Illinois
2015 Sunseeker 2300
longhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #28

We're on our second Sunseeker. First one was an '08 3100 the new one is a '16 3050S - bigger than you are talking, but, we like the space for just the two of us. Walls are made with aluminum frame, watched them build them in the factory. Nothing falling off yet (two full seasons) - minor issues, some vendor issues taken care of by the manufacturers at the FROG Rally. Threw a 4300 lb TOAD on the back and had no issues all season. Don't use the overhead for the traditional bunk but rather the optional 42" TV entertainment Sys. Has Atwood water heater, 4 door RV fridge, 15K btu a/c heat pump combo on roof - love that works well down to low 40's then use furnace. Love ours, getting her ready in a few weeks to hit it for this season.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #29
Senior Members

We bought a new 2015 3010DS back in Octobet of 2014. We love our unit, the Ford E450 is great and I don't even know I am towing a Jeep Rangler. The ride in the E450 is great and after 16000 miles of trips we are proud to be a Sunseeker owner.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Thanks. Both units we're considering have a corner bed and U-shaped dinette.

Differences:

FR has the slide, the other does not
FR is new 2017, the other is a used 2016 w/~25k miles
FR is GM chassis, the other is Ford chassis
And where I'm at right now between the dealers is about $10k difference.

Speaking of the chassis, did I understand right that the GM 2290s doesn't have remote lock/unlock?
IMO, Chevy cab has more room than the Ford, more comfortable for some. Chevy ride and handeling is better also.

THe last time I looked Chevy did not have remote key FOB. And I liked the Ford outside rear view mirrors better.

Sunseeker is well built.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #31
Sophomore Campers

We did it, almost. We've put down a deposit and applied for financing. We ended up going with a new 2890DS! After walking around a 2300 and thinking about how we plan to use it, we decided it and the 2290s were going to be too small for the 4 of us (8 & 12 year old boys).

We expect to pick it up and get a a thorough walk through of the systems next weekend.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #32

Question Chevy or Ford?

MizzouMan_2000,

What did you decide to go with, Chevy or Ford chassis?

Longhunter
Northern Illinois
2015 Sunseeker 2300
Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #33
Sophomore Campers

We still went with Chevy chassis. We don't plan to tow anything, so we didn't want the extra cost of the Ford chassis.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #34
Sophomore Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhunter View Post
MizzouMan_2000,

What did you decide to go with, Chevy or Ford chassis?

Also just noticed, I'm just a few hours from you. I'm down by Peoria.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #35

Arrow

MizzouMan_2000,

We got our 2300 from a dealer in Pontiac Illinois, and are very happy with that dealer.

Longhunter
Northern Illinois
2015 Sunseeker 2300
Old 03-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #36
Sophomore Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhunter View Post
MizzouMan_2000,

We got our 2300 from a dealer in Pontiac Illinois, and are very happy with that dealer.
Sweet. That's where we were today. Pontiac RV. We had a very good, no pressure experience with them. I hope the service side holds up.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #37

Lovin the 2400W

We love our new 2400W, having just put 1k miles on her last week. The only thing we HATE are the front roof drains, right into the cab doors !! Surely someone could have done better than that !!!

Safe travels
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #38

congrats!

It will be a blast, and all consuming if you let it. DW and I are Ill natives out C'dale down south. Mow home of the new nap time class at SiU (saw on the news today).

Anyway now the fun begins:

Oxygenics shower head
Water pressure guage
Surge power protection
Sun shades
Water hoses
Where to put the slinky
Mouse deterence
Tables, chairs,, and grills o'my....

Welcome to the paradigm shift, it is a one way street but a lot fun.
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #39

Love our Sunseeker

Wd have a 2016 and love the quality and performance / We looked for over a year and based on research and numerous rides we choose a Sunseeker 2400 W on a MBS
We average 16 to 18 miles full load
A few issues and a couple of recalls but nothing major
We shoed it to another couple and they went out and bought one just like it
Your Salesmen is bulling you
Good luck and keep us posted

Good lucQUOTE=MizzouMan_2000;1441099]Hey all,

My family of 4 is looking to jump into camping head first. We were considering a travel trailer, but came across some Class C's that have been interesting.

One of those was a 2290S, brand new 2017 on GM chassis and what seems like a sweet deal.

Another, a brand I won't mention, is a used 2016 with about 25k miles and about $10k difference.

So, the dealer with the used unit basically says the sun seekers are not durable, cabinets fall of the walls, etc.

I wish I'd remembered this forum sooner and posted the question last Friday, after finding the 2290S.

So, let me hear it. What do you like/hate about your sunseekers in general. And if you have a 2290S, I particularly want to hear what you have to say.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #40

Owned 2 Sunseekers both Chevy Engines...No major problems.....You will have no warranty with used one..I have found u-tube to have a lot of do-it-yourself videos
that are very helpful ...

gtony2

o
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker