Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #41
Chief tinkerer

Congrats Mizzouman! You will be pleased.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #42

We have had our Sun Seeker for 2 years now and no serious issues. All Rvs have to be maintained with checking caulking and any seals. Tightening screws Etc. Forest River took exceptional care of us when our battery ontrol center tuned out be faulty, Russ Stahl sent us a new one when it was normally only warranted to the original owner. Ours was used with only 10,000 KMS on it so it was nearly new. Normal things to look for is the front end aligned. Have the batteries checked to make sure they are up to snuff. The dealer saying cabinets fall off the wall is out to lunch. We have owned many RVs and out of the bunch this one is better in many ways.

2014 Sun Seeker 2500TS
Brandon 2
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #43

Forest River Sunseeker

We bought a 2017 30' Class C. Problems with it, which I contacted FR about and told them that they should fire or slap the Ass of the Quality Control freak who let it go with what the problems were. Flagg RV and FR took care of all of my problems. I would buy another but go through the walk through with eyes open. I would have asked for more as options go but we are happy with it and just finished a 5800 mile trip to Florida, Texas, and back home to Mass.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #44
Sophomore Campers

Houston, we have a problem?

So I realized a potential problem last night.

One of the things I want to do is camp at EAA AirVenture/Oshkosh. Reading on their website it says the lots are approx. 20x30'. The Rv we bought is 31' 3". Hoping this isn't an issue or we'll have to see if it's too late to go with the next size down.

I've emailed EAA to find out.
MizzouMan_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #45

Hey

We have a 2012 3010 DS. I think forest river makes a consistent product. I have had no major issues and have 12000 miles on the vehicle. I had a front end alignment done at a truck shop and it cleared up the handling problems.

We love our u shaped dinette. The big thing you have to keep care of is the roof/cap seams. I recommend eterna bond from the beginning. But at a minimum keep an eye on them. I store mine undercover.

I had a crack in the shower which I repaired, had the electrical connections on my display need replaced, which I did my self. Added the new 7500 lb hitch because I tow..

Had the Michelin tires replaced under recall and I'm getting ready to change out the batteries.

Overall after 5 camping seasons I'd give it a 4* out if 5.

We've been to Colorado, upper Michigan and Upper New York, Tennessee, Hilton Head and many other places in between. I would take Forest River over Thor any day.

Good luck on your purchase, just know you gotta maintain it and have fun doing so!!
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:11 AM   #46

We have a Forester 2801 which is the sister to Sunseeker and made in same factory. We love it and have had no major problems. When we ordered it we could not get the Chevy due to production stop from Chevy so we ended up with the new Ford 6 speed. All I can say is it is impressive. We wanted the Chevy but love the Ford.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #47

What do you like or hate about your Sunseeker?

We have a 2014 Forester 2451s and love it. While they no longer offer this floor plan it is perfect for us. Had a few start up issues but once resolved have not had any problems and now have 26,000 miles.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #48

The thing I dislike the most is there is no TOAD behind it !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #49

We bought ours at Pontiac too. Re the service dept, I would advise that if you take it back with a punchlist of odds and ends to be taken care of, go over it well in the parking lot when you pick it up, to make sure they were all done.

Also, you are going to find out that you are not suffering in the power dept compared to a Ford. I think you will be impressed. So if you ever decide to tow something, it won't be a problem.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #50

Same problems with the Forester Class C.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #51

2800 / 2801 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
We have a Forester 2801 which is the sister to Sunseeker and made in same factory. We love it and have had no major problems. When we ordered it we could not get the Chevy due to production stop from Chevy so we ended up with the new Ford 6 speed. All I can say is it is impressive. We wanted the Chevy but love the Ford.
We just purchased a sunseeker 2800 gts basically looks just like your with full body paint. Glad to hear you like it.. One issue I unfortunately have is the horizontal seam on both sides at the cap to main body has cracked. We bought this in FL and drove home to VA when we noticed it. It may just be the paint cracking as they painted over the seam. Waiting for a call back and or email to see if Forest River will pay for inspection and repair as needed. Check yours at this spot. Feel free to email me if you want to. Happy rv'ing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2417.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	131897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	131898  
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #52
Sophomore Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles l View Post
We just purchased a sunseeker 2800 gts basically looks just like your with full body paint. Glad to hear you like it.. One issue I unfortunately have is the horizontal seam on both sides at the cap to main body has cracked. We bought this in FL and drove home to VA when we noticed it. It may just be the paint cracking as they painted over the seam. Waiting for a call back and or email to see if Forest River will pay for inspection and repair as needed. Check yours at this spot. Feel free to email me if you want to. Happy rv'ing.
That looks awful! I hope they take care of it!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #53
Sophomore Campers

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'm glad to hear that no one seems to be reporting any significant issues, but I did read one story that sure made me wonder what I'm getting myself into. I don't recall where it was, but basically was a blog basically saying that you should expect things to go wrong. It then listed all the stuff that broke on their Forest River RV. Then I started searching here about delamination.

One part of me is excited to get out there and start using it. The other side is scared that every time I go somewhere I'm going to find a problem and that it's going to wind up being a giant PITA.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:27 AM   #54
World Wide Wanderer

That looks like paint over sealant. Probably will have to remove the sealant and re-seal. On my unit they did wait to seal until after the paint... on most of it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMan_2000 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'm glad to hear that no one seems to be reporting any significant issues, but I did read one story that sure made me wonder what I'm getting myself into. I don't recall where it was, but basically was a blog basically saying that you should expect things to go wrong. It then listed all the stuff that broke on their Forest River RV. Then I started searching here about delamination.

One part of me is excited to get out there and start using it. The other side is scared that every time I go somewhere I'm going to find a problem and that it's going to wind up being a giant PITA.
FWIW here is how I look at it. It isn't hard to read enough stuff on the web to make you have second thoughts...or third thoughts for that matter. And some of what you read is even true! And a lot more is based in the truth but you aren't getting the whole story. And finally some is complaints by folks who didn't do a darn thing to maintain their RV and got burned for their lack of maintenance.

Realistically you will have some problems. You are driving a commercial grade, heavy duty, cargo van chassis. The suspension is made to haul lots of "stuff", not for a smooth comfortable ride. Next you build a pre-fab style "house" on top of that chassis. Now go drive it down our poorly maintained excuse for roads. Something just might decide to give out...

That said I am quite happy with our GTS. It has had a few issues but nothing major that would "stop" us. And all the issues were quickly addressed by either my local dealer or by FR support at last years FROG Rally. Our GTS is sitting at the dealer now getting a few warranty issues handled, the annual roof check, and a couple of mods added.

Carefully look at your RV and realistically decide what you could do if there is a problem. Some folks here are master mechanics, carpenters, plumbers, or electricians...I don't fit in any of those categories. But I am capable of doing some repairs in any of those areas if necessary. And I carry enough tools, and duct tape , to work at my ability level. However, I will not go on the roof. So each spring I have my local FR dealer check out the roof for any issues. As Dirty Harry said: "A man's got to know his limitations." I know mine...

Be prepared; carry basic tools, keep you cell phone charged, keep a good attitude, and go enjoy your RV...
Old 03-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #56

I agree with the above poster.

I will say, though, we seem to have something small break or otherwise fail on practically every trip. They have usually been minor aggravations, nothing more. This is our experience not just with our Sunseeker, but with all four of our RVs. It goes with the territory, unfortunately.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #57

I advertised a 5th wheel hitch that is for sale. I have not seen it on the Forum. Is there a way to put it in that I don't know of?
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #58
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMan_2000 View Post

We too are noobs and don't have all the experience many of the others do. We have a 2016 25ft wide slide Sunseeker with a 2015 diesel truck. You read so much about them being put together by meth heads, but honestly we are not having trouble with ours ... so far and it's still very new, I will admit ... There were 6 things we found on our check out list and the dealer fixed them.
People have very legitimate problems but also complain about weird things like how to hang pictures on the thin walls, but if it had 1/2 in sheetrock, it wouldn't be a "motor" home, it would be a tiny house. The only thing that is not comfortable is the booth seating but we are working on that. There are lots of ideas here. I really loved the Winnebago bathroom sinks, but otherwise, we liked ours the best.

I have fallen in love with this thing, I am no longer interested in working on the house or yard or anything but planning a trip in our MH, The Waldorf. Next weekend we are going to Hoodsport/Lake Cushman, WA for 4 nights!!!
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #59

FR does not understand there are some things that should not be painted,,, the vinyl around our cab have shrunk,,, and now the paint lines no longer match up !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #60

Understand about decals shrinking hence why we paid more furor paint bra decals
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker