Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it were on my camper, it would be removed immediately. Looks horrible IMO. Surely this was shown as a joke.
Really? It's an outlet and we put a small cargo net on the wall. From the door you don't even notice it.

You know of course that the white wire and phone are not part of the design. Those are there just for example.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #42

Hey, folks, it's a prototype. Make it work first then make it pretty!
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markangie24 View Post
How about something on the wall with a dark glass enclosure that actually matches the interiors? Not with wires hanging, we have that now. Stay ahead of the times instead of behind!! Set the standard for the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Part of the issue with something hidden like that is for long trips my kids will sometimes be plugged in while they're using their devices. Putting it behind an enclosure or in the front entertainment center reduces the functionality while in transit.

Unlike a trailer...this will get used in transit and there aren't near as many nooks and crannies to hide stuff. I always have mine plugged into the dash USB, especially when I use the GPS.

Tomorrow I'll take a picture without the phone hooked up.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Part of the issue with something hidden like that is for long trips my kids will sometimes be plugged in while they're using their devices. Putting it behind an enclosure or in the front entertainment center reduces the functionality while in transit.

Unlike a trailer...this will get used in transit and there aren't near as many nooks and crannies to hide stuff. I always have mine plugged into the dash USB, especially when I use the GPS.

Tomorrow I'll take a picture without the phone hooked up.
It'll still have wires hanging for when the kids use it. I'd prefer to see something closer to the ground, below seat level at least that they can snake a cord up from.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #45

I like the idea, especially that it is powered by 12 volts and that it provides sufficient amps for charging an iPad.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #46

Seems like a good idea. I like the single outlet with the USB hub. But something is better then nothing.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #47

I love the idea...definitely would be useful! But for now, me and my family bought a few of these adapters and plugged them in a few places...they work great!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408588226.653255.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	644.9 KB
ID:	61060
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #48

The problem with the adapters is making 12v into 120 back into 12v. Seems like a waste to me, but I know nothing about electric stuff
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #49

I see this is in the SunSeeker thread. What model are you prototyping it in?

How about this. Open the top of the dinette bench that is next to the couch, and put a 10" deep by 3" wide pocket in it the whole width. Put the USB outlet in the pocket at the wall end. Pad the bottom to protect the devices.
- or -
Put a tip out cabinet in the back of the bench that can hold the electronics and the USB outlet. Make it room enough for a magazine or two.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
The problem with the adapters is making 12v into 120 back into 12v. Seems like a waste to me, but I know nothing about electric stuff
Generally, you'd be right that the more you convert, the more you lose.

But in this case we've been discussing USB, which runs at 5V. In either case there's going to be a conversion. Either from 12V to 5V or from 120V to 5V. Both are a single conversion so effectively there's not much of a loss difference.

(Then again I dropped out of Elect. Eng. to switch to Comp. Sci, so I could be wrong. I'm sure one of the real electricians can correct me if that's the case.)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #51

Quote:
We're thinking if this works, we can get rid of most of the 12V power ports. (other than what is on the chassis).

Most people are not using a "dedicated" 12V car charger. I have a little 12V car charger plug that has (2) USB ports built in. Seems like all the new ones come that way.
Not sure what you mean by getting rid of the 12 Volt power ports. I would not like that especially with out an Main Inverter to 120VAC.. Not only are the TV's all 12VDC. I use 12VDC splitters and run small Plug in 12VDC to 120VAC inverters to use small amounts of 120VAC like this setup
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon.com : BESTEK Dual 110V AC outlets and Dual USB 3.1A 300w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger MRI3011BU : Vehicle Power Inverters : Car Electronics

Amazon.com: IncrediSonic Ultra Play IMP150 - HD TV Digital Mini Media Player - 1080p - Play any file from USB HDDs/Flashdrives/Memory Cards: Electronics

I have this setup on all the 12VDC TV's along with the media content on small electronic hard drives with HDMI and RCA outputs to the TV's. The small inverters have a couple usb charging ports as well.. This is a great setup while rolling down the road or parked.

The ports you mention would be good on the sunseeker 2860DS a few inches above the fold down kitchen table and above the cup holder tray behind the couch on the living room slide.

I think its a good idea but not at the expense of losing 12VDC outlets. We max out the chassis cockpit 12VDC outlets as it is when on the road and I use the inverters a lot!

Just My 2 Cents....

Thanks BC

Ron
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #52

BC
We have a 2010 2860 USB at sleeping locals would be a plus. We have 5 adults each with 2 devices, when not on shore power we have cords out of the dash and out of the TV outlet, I use a USB hub to get enough connections.
I am now using a wireless charger at home and thinking of traveling with it. It might be something to consider.
My phone is my alarm, having it within arms reach would be nice (I know I shouldn't care about an alarm while camping).
One thing we find annoying is all the charging leds in the dark so many devices seem very bright we end up covering them to sleep better.
Something for the smart engineers to consider when we camp the phones seem to run warmer. I suspect because they use more power in handshaking with towers I'm sure a net would alow ventilation where a different solution might need some heat sink consideration
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Bclemens, thank you for taking the time to value the opinions of actual owners. I like the idea of the net. It is additional storage and I don't have to keep moving g devices around. 2 suggestions for net/usb placement. 1) near the radio as we like to plug the iPad in for iTunes going down the road. 2) by the beds, I use my kindle every night in bed.

From a family standpoint, double usb outlets in the bedroom is huge, especially if on both sides of the bed. A single or double usb by kids bunks would be great too. In our family of 3, we charge an iPad, a kindle, a nabi and 2-3 droids (we use an old droid for games for dd in the car). As long as we can charge st night we are good.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #54
Commercial Member

This thread makes me chuckle a little bit. We often overhear customers at RV shows saying "well they should just hire me to design theses things, they would sell way more".

As you can see from this thread, designing RV's is not as simple as it seems. The responses range from "this is some sort of joke right?" to "great idea". And you know what...you're probably all a little right. If you were designing the perfect motorhome it would be the perfect motorhome for YOU. But that may be a terrible one for someone else. Our job, is to not design the perfect motorhome (there is no such thing in my mind), but one that appeals to the broadest range of our buyers. All while balancing production consistency, supply, price and quality. So let me just address some of the suggestions and give you a behind the scenes look into our thought process.

1.Bed outlets. This is something we're already working on. With this initial design we were trying to have something that instantly helps the most people, could be standard (low cost) and visible. The bed made it limited for families, requires double the cost (one on each side and is often overlooked.
2. Wood box. We wanted something simple (not big and bulky, taking up precious space, adding weight) and that could have multiple uses (extra storage for maps, papers, who knows) and can be functional while driving.
3. 110v adaptor. Those are great...but we avoid running 110v in slide outs. So it needs to be 12v native.
4. Put it low in the dinette base. Sounds good, but what about when the dinette is made down into a bed? It has limited functionality and difficult to access. Also, we have gotten complaints from older buyers that we need outlets above the table. Its too dark to see where you are plugging in below and trying to contort and reach down below the dinette to plug something in is a hassle. Don't forget, that dining room table is also a desk. Most hotels now have outlets up high for the desk.
5. Outside compartment. We offer an outside entertainment center with a radio that already has a USB charging port.
6. "looks horrible, surely this is a joke". (as I tell my kids...don't just tell me something is stupid tell me why and what you would do different)
7. When I say get rid of the 12V outlet, I'm only talking about the one in the dinette. We will keep all the TV and chassis outlets.
8. we did talk about using the cup holders to hold devices, but not all floor plans have a sofa. We figured the dinette was a universal location.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback. It gives us some great things to work with and lets us know we're heading in the right direction. If not for all of you...at least for most of you. And that's all we can ask.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #55
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...6. "looks horrible, surely this is a joke". (as I tell my kids...don't just tell me something is stupid tell me why and what you would do different)...
To be more explicit, it looks like someone had a pc of cargo net left over and didn't know what to do with it. A clear fold out plastic compartment would be much better and look like it was actually designed rather than an after thought. The cargo net is crude to say the least. They are fine in a car trunk, but you don't have to look at them.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #56
Commercial Member

It's actually a manufactured cargo net with a metal frame that we already use in the kids bunk area (of our 3170) to hold remotes, game boys, phones, DVD,s etc. Looks better in person, but first impressions are first impressions, we have to take them into account.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker_3170 Rear_sofa_up.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	61097  

Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

What do you think of this prototype feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
To be more explicit, it looks like someone had a pc of cargo net left over and didn't know what to do with it. A clear fold out plastic compartment would be much better and look like it was actually designed rather than an after thought. The cargo net is crude to say the least. They are fine in a car trunk, but you don't have to look at them.

I'm fine with the cargo net. No real different than what you'd see in the bulkhead row on a plane for the most part.

My issue was just the cords dangling in your face because they're hanging from the ceiling. I get where BC is coming from about dinette up/down, not in the dark, etc... but there's got to be a better placement option that meets both. Similar to his hotel desk analogy, most hotels I've been in the plugs are at desk height, not up above.

Edit: going back and relooking at the picture, will it fit in the wall next to the cargo net?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #58
Commercial Member

Absolutely true and I agree with the cords dangling, but we can't put them on an exterior or slide wall. Not enough depth (those things are deeper than standard receptacles).

I'll walk some units this weekend (show in Spokane, WA). There was one from a supplier that was surface mount that we needed to use on a new prototype floor plan. That may give us some more options, but we still need to get wires to it.

In hindsight, that one works perfectly because it puts it about 10" above the dinette sort of on the outside wall. (can't divulge any more...I am sworn to secrecy).

Old 08-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #59

BC
do they make a 4 port with a DC input instead of AC? It would solve that problem in the slides. I guess that's why I like the DC female outlets, they give me a lot of different options with DC usb chargers and portable DC to AC inverters that I can do about anything with. Although if the purpose is trying to get rid of the DC outlets, I personally think the DC outlets are a lot more useful than just usb charger ports. Honestly 4 ports are not enough for a family of 4 to charge all their toys. And if they are 120VAC ran 4 port chargers absolutely not a good idea for people that boondock. I wouldn't want to run the generator for a couple hours to charge the phones and toys

But, one between the fold down table and window in the dinette would make a dent in it. for AC or DC use. everyone asks where to charge when sitting at the table. I don't tell them about the 120VAC plug under the table on the front bench seat as its unhandy and I don't want/ need the cords snaking along the wall LOL

The charging outlets are needed in todays world, I'm just not sure there is any one size that fits all. My vote personally would be an option for more strategic placed DC outlets... Just my 2 cents

As a side question how many amps are possible on the DC outlets in my Sunseeker and does that include the ones in the Ford cab? I haven't paid much attention to the AWG of the DC wire to the DC outlets. I'm not overloading anything right now but have a few projects in mind for the 12VDC to 120VAC inverters.

Thanks for listening to us BC, as I said one size doesn't fit all, that's why options LOL

Ron
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #60

I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Am544 is offline   Reply With Quote