Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

What is the ideal toad vehicle?

We have a 2017 Forester 2861DS and have been towing a Jeep Wrangler. Would like a vehicle that is easy in and out, solid construction, quiet and comfortable, simple to hook up. Let me know what you all would recommend!
Forester1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

Since I have no idea of any of the associated weights I cannot recommend the ideal tow vehicle. You need to look at all the weights, tongue, total loaded trailer, type of hitch you'll be using and pick the correct sized pickup.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:21 PM   #3

"More truck than trailer is always a safe bet". But that statement is always subjective when you start "calculating" all the factors (gross weights, pin weights. WDH ect..). I have a 3/4 ton gasser and a 27 ft. TT, that weighs about 7200. When I went for a TV I honestly could not put almost 4 tons of trailer behind a half ton truck. The math just did not come out to my comfort. Some are OK with that and I have no problems with their choice. I may even be under with my rig but just feel a little better with the bigger motor,frame and brakes.
Diesel or gas? I think it is a simple choice. If you are going full time,cross country go with the a diesel. For shorter tows and an around town TV between towing, get a gasser. Your checkbook may want to chime in as well here.
Good luck.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Folks, the OP is asking about a Toad behind his MH.
That's why it's posted in the Motorhome section of the Forum.

I edited the title to prevent further confusion.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #5

And so it is. Sorry about that.
Thanks.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #6

We're investigating the same scenario except we have the Sprinter MBS. We've almost decided on a Honda Fit with the manual tranny as we can tow 4 down. We also looked at the Chevy Sonic. We like the reliability of the Honda. Now to decide which tow setup and brakeing system will fit our needs. There is a tow guide available in the library here.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #7

Our primary intention was to purchase a Jeep product for our toad as they seem to be the best. Between, the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and Cherokee, we chose the Cherokee for price, weight and comfort. Did have the tow modification put in and added a wire from electrical receiver on the Cherokee to battery to maintain the battery as there is a warning that the mod can drain the battery in three hours. Works great as a toad and our regular car.
P.S. The wife loved the exterior appearance of the Wrangler but did not feel the same about the interior appearance or comfort.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #8

Toad

Personally I think the Jeep Wrangler is the perfect Toad. With back seat removed it makes a good enclosed trailer for tables, chairs, barbecues etc. Roof Rack makes it possible to carry large items, kayaks, bikes etc. Ability to be flat towed with no problems a must. JMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrangler Toad.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	160479  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #9

I pull a 2017 Ford F-150 4X4, chose it for several reasons
• The new Fords have aluminum bodies and this keeps the weight down
• It is very easy to place in tow mode, no fuses to disconnect, don't have to disconnect battery cable.
• More storage space in bed of truck.

I did have to install a stay and play brake system on the truck, use a Blue Ox tow bar and can have everything tow ready in 5 - 10 minutes.
mlwilliams808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #10

easy toad vehicle

For my wife and I, we have a Kia Soul, Standard transmission, that we have as a toad. It is easy to hook up, and tows really nice. The car itself has nice amount of storage capacity (we store our golf clubs and fold up bicycles in it when towing it).
Gets good gas mileage and is comfortable to ride in.
Deaconjene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester1966 View Post
We have a 2017 Forester 2861DS and have been towing a Jeep Wrangler. Would like a vehicle that is easy in and out, solid construction, quiet and comfortable, simple to hook up. Let me know what you all would recommend!
Your ideal toad depends on your requirement. Do you need a toad to transport just yourself? Or one passenger? Or a family and pets? Do you plan to take your toad off road or only on highway? Or serious back roading or serious dunes and mountain areas? Or just to run to the grocery store or hardware store? Basically, what do you want the toad to do for you.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaconjene View Post
For my wife and I, we have a Kia Soul, Standard transmission, that we have as a toad. It is easy to hook up, and tows really nice. The car itself has nice amount of storage capacity (we store our golf clubs and fold up bicycles in it when towing it).
Gets good gas mileage and is comfortable to ride in.
We tow a 2013 Honda CRV behind our 2017 Class C Sunseeker. No problem with it, 5 to 10 minutes to hook up or disconnect, and we use the Brake buddy system.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #13

Perfect for us was a Chevy Equinox, small SUV, 4 down cabable, able to transport grandchildren. Perfect is dependent upon your situation, good luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #14

We love the wrangler unlimited, as the four door model has a better ride, more room for the kids and is bulletproof. My family likes to do things off the beaten path; hiking, gem mining, exploring and general all around site seeing. The 4wd comes in handy to get us in and out of certain locations. We use the blue ox system and invisi-brake, have towed about 37k miles with no issues.
Everyone has their favorites that work for them, you have to find yours. Good luck.
fedexflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #15

We have a 2016 3051s and we use a 2016 Chevy Equinox. It has been a very good toad, lots of room. It is awd so it must be flat towed.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #16

Kia Soul with 6 speeed manual got it new in 0/12 . 15 K out the door have 56 k on odometer set of tires and set of break pads only repairs 30 mpg
Blue ox tow bar . If your know your way around the tool box the base plate is not. A big job to install very little cutting about a 6 hour job with good drill bits
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #17

I have a 2012 Honda CRV (AWD) and see a lot of them being towed. The newer ones are not to be towed though. You'd have to check. Comfortable ride though.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #18
Dynamax Istata 3 RW

Also have Kia Soul...it makes a great Toad!
gbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #19

I would recommend any small vehicle that can be towed with all four wheels on the ground. Unless you plan on doing extensive off-road adventures, I'd stick with a front-drive model such as the Honda Fit or CRV. It is a bonus to have a Toad with higher than average ground clearance, since you might be visiting areas with rough roads. We are a Honda family, and have owned more than two dozen Honda vehicles since the first Accord came out in 1976, but there are other brands with comparable reliability records, including Toyota and Subaru. Four wheel drive is available on several of these options.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #20
Kanadian Kamper

Towing a 2017 model year 4 cylinder Terrain (same as Equinox) rides great, very comfy and consistently gets 30mpg when we’re cruising the countryside or interstate.

That almost makes up for the 8-9mpg of the motorhome....almost

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle