Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #21
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
No engine compartment, the two hoses are in the same side of the black/grey valves, and I have two other ones in the back center near of the bumper. (They are also a red and blue hoses.

I would like to know if I do not find these low point hoses, and I am going to winterize the camper with anti-freeze should I be okay? The antifreeze should go down to the low point also, right?
Yes. Take the caps off and fill your water tank and see where they drain
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #22

I did find the hose where the fresh water tank does drain. Is not that hoses.
wengerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #23
RAC

it aint gonna hurt to uncap them....they appear to twist, they might be a quarter twist lock type too. put some agua in the tank and see.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #24

I will go this weekend and with pliers I will be very careful and remove at least one of the caps, maybe the red hose? Remember I have two red's and two blue's.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #25
RAC

I dunno then. I'm the type if I don't know what it is, i trace it out and fuigure it out or I conduct an experiment.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
it aint gonna hurt to uncap them....they appear to twist, they might be a quarter twist lock type too. put some agua in the tank and see.
I tried to twist with my fingers without any results. This weekend I will have to use a pair of pliers and then go ahead and twist one of the caps and see what happens.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #27

They are probably drain points for your faucets. I've got drain points for the kitchen and lavatory faucet but I have 1/4 turn handles on mine. Red for hot and blue for cold.

I agree with Steve, it's not going to hurt to try 'em out. Just be real careful with pliers. The plastic may be brittle.

good luck and keep us posted

greg

Oh, we was just messin with ya with the NDP thing
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #28
Newbie shopping for FR

I agree that these are low point drains for you water system. It looks like they have used a connector fitting to cap them off. If you use these drains to get all ofthe water out of your system you could get away wthout uising antifreeze (but wouldn't). The trouble it low point drains is that they could hold water even if you run antifreeze through the system because they are not directly in the flow of the water.
Take the caps off of all 4 points and let the water run out. Once you have done that put the caps back on and fill the system with antifreeze.
NorthernAvLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #29

NDP - How about Nice Drain Plug? Reds are hot water, blues are cold water. As I stated earlier, remove these fittings and put ball valves on for easier draining and winterizing.
For safety sake, when you are trying to take the caps off, make sure your water pump is turned off as well as your hot water heater. Open your faucets to relieve any pressure. Then you may proceed with trying to take the caps off. I have the same style caps on mine for low point faucet drains. I replaced them with 1/4 turn ball valve to make draining and winterizing simpler. Dang, I'm repeating myself. Don't tell my wife, she has to tell me things 10 times.

kilowattkid
Old 09-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #30

Quick question, where do you get this ball valves? Home Depot?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #31

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Wow, I could have jumped in and answered this early, but all I saw in the pic was your knife valve and figured you'd figure that out. Yes iot is your low point water line drains. There is no reason for the caps to be on as tight as that. Once you loosen them off and drain the system you can reinstall the caps just to finger tightness (By the way, open your taps inside to fully drain the lines, and it will take forever to drain the hot water unless you pull the hot water heater drain plug first)

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 AM   #32

Thank you very much for the information.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
Thank you very much for the information.
Sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get the info but........ It'll happen eventually.

keep us posted

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #34
RAC

Maybe if we drank more we'd have faster ideas and aswers?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #35

That's a theory worth testing!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #36

By the way when I winterize the camper, I understand that I have to remove the o-ring from the city water connection, etc, do I have to do the same with the fresh water connector? I do understand to open the faucet prior to, for the release of pressure and make sure that the water pump is off. Right?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #37
RAC

why would you remove the o rings? There is a detailed winterization list somewhere in the forum
Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #38

Not sure what you mean by O ring. But if it helps, here is a pretty good overview of how to winterize your water system. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/winter.html
I should mention though that when it refers to the antifreeze intake line and valve located on the intake side of your water pump, there often isn't one of these valves or any built-in provisions for getting antifreeze in. You can buy or make a hose and fitting to go on the intake side of the pump. Disconnect the connection from the fresh water tank and replace with this and stick the hose into the antifreeze jug, then run the pump to pull the antifreeze through the water lines to all the faucets. BUT, be sure to by-pass your water heater before you do this or you'll end up with all your antifreeze sitting in it.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #39

Just a thought, but for the first time, it might be better to hire someone to winterize or offer a beverage to a seasoned camper to help do it. Watching how someone does it is the best way to learn. It really isn't complicated, but screwing up can get you into a lot of repair work next season.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 AM   #40

Okay, I finally did it. It took me two set of pliers and a lot of muscle to remove the caps from each low point hoses. I know for a fact that this caps were never removed previously for winterization. I have two blue hoses in the same side of the black/grey valves, and 2 hoses (blue/red) in the opposite side of the camper.
Now I know how to empty all the hoses; next I checked my water pump and there are two fittings, one fitting, the hose goes straight to the fresh water tank, and the other one goes to everything else. When I purchase the winterization kit, I am assuming I will installed it in the fitting that is not going to the fresh water tank. Next, thing, before I winterize and use the anti-freeze, I remove all the water, water heater plug, and low point hoses. Then I dump my black/gray water tanks. Then I will by-pass the water heater after removing all the water from it, and start pumping anti-freeze to the lines by opening and closing each faucet. When I am done, do I have to open the low points caps again even though I empty each low point prior to introducing the anti-freeze? Finally put a cup or so on each trap. What about the city water/fresh tank connectors outside the camper, do I really have to remove that little black o-ring and push the white button on it? What about if I do not mess with that? I know that previously, all the 'professional" rv technician never messed with that.
I guess this is all what I am doing this year by myself. I will let the rv technician, replace the oil/filter for my Onan microquiet 4000 generator.

Tags
sunseeker le