Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #1

What Would You Go With And Why??

My wife and I are looking at these two models, upgrading from a 2012 freedom express into a class C. We are considering either a Forester 3051s or a Leprechaun 319ds. We like the layout of both. Whichever we purchase, we would buy the most current model year, full paint and all the amenities.

Have any of you considered these two class C models, what do you like, what don't you like. Any known issues with either? things to watch out for? Why would you choose one over the other, etc. is the fiberglass roof on the forester something to be careful with? Is the TPO roof on the leprechaun something to watch out for? Ive heard some pros/cons of both roofing types.

Amenities, what did you like and what didn't you like? Either unit missing anything from your perspective? How well do you think each of these units are constructed?

I've already received some feedback from bclemens at forest river, which was great and much appreciated. Now I'd like some feed back in general from the board as I gave found y'all to be a great resource on every question I have had in the past.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #2

And tank you in advance for any feed back and guidance you can provide.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #3

I recently purchased my first Class "C" after owning two Class "A's".

The #3051S had the best layout for my needs. The full sized drivers slide provides an amazing amount of interior space. The increased ceiling height and lowered mid entry door is nice. The residential sized convection microwave and large four door Dometic refrigerator/freezer are impressive in a Class "C". The kitchen layout is very practical some leave you very little counter space. There is plenty of inside and outside storage. BTW...I got the bunk area over the cab instead of the entertainment center. Having a second large sleeping area that does not need to be made up daily is a big plus. The main bedroom has a full sized queen mattress not a short.

FYI, I spend 4-6 months in my RV every summer. So having certain features matters to me more then others. I will miss my washer/dryer this summer that my large Class "A" had.

If I remember correctly the Leprechaun has metal storage compartments and the sewer connections are outside and not in a heated compartment.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

Thank you very much for the detailed thoughts!! We are now leaning towards forester.

Going Saturday to check one out and test drive.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

SunSeeker and Forester has the same floor plan available. I am not really sure of the differences. There were several items I modified or improved on my Forester #3051SF.

Added a second full motion TV mounting bracket to bunk area TV swing arm.
Added five 3-1/2 inch wooden steps to the bunk ladder.
Built a custom made sliding pantry with five shelves.
Purchased a memory foam topper for bunk bed.
Had a butcher block cover built to cover the 3 cooktop burners.
Installed two brackets to the under bed storage area.
Purchased and installed two Dometic window awnings.
Installed a Dash Trim Kit to upgrade appearance.
Installed a 30 Amp Surge Guard to the electrical compartment.
Installed Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 06-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. Great information.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #7

Has anyone weighed the 3051 to see if the load is balanced side to side because of the slide only on the driver side? They probably have it figured out but just curious.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Commercial Member

There airbags are there to help if this isn't dead on.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Anacortesians

Before we bought our '02 Georgetown Class A, we looked at a number of 4 to 5 year old Class C's. What bothered me, with the 30' and 31' rigs, was the amount of tail overhang. We finally got to take a Forester 31-footer on a test ride. I stopped at a State Patrol weigh station and got front and rear axle weights.

With two of us in the front seats, no water, grey tank or black tank contents, no personal gear and only about 1/3 of a tank of gas, the rear axle load was within 75 pounds of its maximum rating. Added to that, the amount of overhang aft of the rear wheels was a serious concern. I didn't have a feel for how the sideways motion in turns would affect pulling a toad.

In the end, we decided that long Class C's weren't for us. We finally found our current rig in the local paper. The original owners were having to sell for medical reasons and we got a very good deal (about $6K under KBB). It's in pristine condition, and only had 12,000 miles on the odometer and 48 hours on the generator. It has two slides (bedroom and dinette).

We've put about 6,000 miles on it since we bought it and two more hours on the Onan. Unfortunately, on a limited retiree budget, and with current gas prices (with about 8 mpg fuel burn), we're finding this one to be a bit more than we can afford, so it might be up for sale soon.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #10

What figure did you use for the maximum rear axle weight on a E450?

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by burati1 View Post
My wife and I are looking at these two models, upgrading from a 2012 freedom express into a class C. We are considering either a Forester 3051s or a Leprechaun 319ds. We like the layout of both. Whichever we purchase, we would buy the most current model year, full paint and all the amenities.

Have any of you considered these two class C models, what do you like, what don't you like. Any known issues with either? things to watch out for? Why would you choose one over the other, etc. is the fiberglass roof on the forester something to be careful with? Is the TPO roof on the leprechaun something to watch out for? Ive heard some pros/cons of both roofing types.

Amenities, what did you like and what didn't you like? Either unit missing anything from your perspective? How well do you think each of these units are constructed?

I've already received some feedback from bclemens at forest river, which was great and much appreciated. Now I'd like some feed back in general from the board as I gave found y'all to be a great resource on every question I have had in the past.
I will not buy a class C motorhome without a fiberglass roof or a front/rear cap, period. At 65-70 miles an hour, water can get through seams while on the road. Having a roof that covers the top seams and a front cap which covers the seams on the cabover go a long way in keeping water from entering and damaging one's rig.

The only exception would be if I could get a rvroof.com type of roof coating put on, which completely covers seams with a seamless coating that stretches and flexes as the motorhome goes down the road. A pickup bedliner spray is different, as it doesn't flex/stretch.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote