Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #1

Wheel Cover installation? Sunseeker 2250

I removed the front wheel covers from my Sunseeker 2250 to check the tire pressure. It is on the Chevy 4500 Express Van chasis. Removing them was easy with the help of a large screwdriver.

What is the trick if any for putting the wheel covers back on? I had a brutal time and I am exhausted. They look like they are properly attached now but I envision seeing them rolling down the road along side me after I hit a bump.

I need to check the rear tire pressures but it may take me a month to recover from the ordeal of the front covers.

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #2

They are brutal to reinstall. A heavy rubber mallet is needed. And the spikes just dig into the wheel right down to the metal.

I cleaned my wheels and sprayed the areas that were dug up with semi-gloss white. And I am not going to put the wheel covers back on. Just a pain in the neck to deal with when checking the air on or to change a wheel. I also check tire pressure often just to play safe. And costly if one cover comes off and cannot be found. And just did not care to get the proper valve fittings to make filling easier. If a cover comes off they can damage those fittings also.

All the school buses in my area do not have wheel covers either. I am not sure they do anything other than make it look pretty?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Racer View Post
They are brutal to reinstall. A heavy rubber mallet is needed. And the spikes just dig into the wheel right down to the metal.

I cleaned my wheels and sprayed the areas that were dug up with semi-gloss white. And I am not going to put the wheel covers back on. Just a pain in the neck to deal with when checking the air on or to change a wheel. I also check tire pressure often just to play safe. And costly if one cover comes off and cannot be found. And just did not care to get the proper valve fittings to make filling easier. If a cover comes off they can damage those fittings also.

All the school buses in my area do not have wheel covers either. I am not sure they do anything other than make it look pretty?
Thanks, I was wondering about cleaning and painting. I doubt the wheel covers provide the protection of old fashioned hub caps since the covers have so many holes in them.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #4

I put on another set.
I still had to modify them so they would work correctly.
I may look for a set of used chromes or Alcoas down the road.
I agree- the covers are a PITA.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

I sold mine in a yard sale.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I put on another set.
I still had to modify them so they would work correctly.
I may look for a set of used chromes or Alcoas down the road.
I agree- the covers are a PITA.
Ahh, you just gave me an idea. There is an RV junk yard nearby.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
Wait till next year...

Try a dead blow hammer. Shouldn' the harm the cap no bounce back. Have had mine on and off quite a bit this year trying to get the right tire fill extentions
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
Site Team

See Here for info on a hub cap tool. It worked on my wheel covers.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #9

Are your wheels uncovered now?

Old 01-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #10

very nice stainless simulators on ours, which don't have to be removed to check the air pressure.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Racer View Post

I'm on the road until March, but when I get home, this is what I'm going to do. I have seen some center caps available on Ebay for as little as $18 for all four. Some wheel cover websites have them also, but you will pay a lot more. They give more of a finished appearance than just leaving them bare.

I've had trouble with one of my simulators rotating in the wheel during long periods of highway driving. I finally put a couple small pieces of self-stick velcro on the wheel where the simulator makes contact and that seems to have cured the problem.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #12

Hah! I concur on "brutal". Lost a rear at 60 mph when it was not 'locked in' properly. Saw it get hit by a tractor trailer. Ripped the TPSM sensor off which in turn damaged the tire valve. I thought I just lost the wheel cover. Dag nab it, the TPSM sensor was not set for the correct tire and I actually drove 40 miles before realizing "Houston, we have a problem". I took the other rear one off. Not paying $300 +/- for a new one. Since then I put one piece stainless valve extenders on since that was also an issue regarding air pressure issues.
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #13

See if you have enough access with wheel covers on to install valve stem extenders. Any auto parts store has them and very inexpensive.
billcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #14

I just went through the process of checking the air pressure on the rear duals...I struggled with reinstalling the wheel covers for about a half hour unsuccessfully, until I found "the technique". It requires sitting on the ground and starting the wheel cover at the bottom of the rim, and then placing your feet against the inserted bottom of the cover. Then, with your feet keeping the bottom in and using a rubber mallet, start working around the wheel cover, and driving it in. By keeping your feet against the bottom edge, the rest of the cover pops into place and stays put. First one before this took two of us to get it in, but after seeing how my partner helped by keeping one edge in place, I just started using my feet instead...

I am looking at the valve extenders, but you have to be careful that they do not move when you are driving as they will gradually lose their air seal in the rim. I saw one that has a large rubber grommet that fits in one of the wheel cover holes that holds the stem extension in place that looks promising..
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #15
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway View Post
I am looking at the valve extenders, but you have to be careful that they do not move when you are driving as they will gradually lose their air seal in the rim. I saw one that has a large rubber grommet that fits in one of the wheel cover holes that holds the stem extension in place that looks promising..
I had a thread a few months ago about this and received a lot of great feedback. Tireman9 was very helpful (starting about post #
15 or 16.)

Hope this helps!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-89658.html

I had mine installed and they work great with my tire pressure monitoring system.

Good luck!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #16
Wait till next year...

Try https://www.shinyrv.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html I've tried the solid and the braided extensions. Have had no loss in tire pressure since I installed the rubber stabilizers. Last trip of the season used the factory Air Flexx extensions nice and lite- found the ss extensions a bit heavy- and tires maintained and were still holding pressure a month latter when I winterized.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
I had a thread a few months ago about this and received a lot of great feedback. Tireman9 was very helpful (starting about post #
15 or 16.)

Hope this helps!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-89658.html

I had mine installed and they work great with my tire pressure monitoring system.

Good luck!

Great. I was trying to find that thread.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway View Post
I just went through the process of checking the air pressure on the rear duals...I struggled with reinstalling the wheel covers for about a half hour unsuccessfully, until I found "the technique". It requires sitting on the ground and starting the wheel cover at the bottom of the rim, and then placing your feet against the inserted bottom of the cover. Then, with your feet keeping the bottom in and using a rubber mallet, start working around the wheel cover, and driving it in. By keeping your feet against the bottom edge, the rest of the cover pops into place and stays put. First one before this took two of us to get it in, but after seeing how my partner helped by keeping one edge in place, I just started using my feet instead...

That jogged my memory. I used to do that with my 1962 Oldsmobile 98.

But not being post concusive and weighing about 180 pounds more I can't even get the rear wheel covers off. My imbalance issues are aggravated when I bend over.

I am now looking for my father's prevwar hub cap removal tool.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #19

[QUOTE=Delco Bobby;1075348]That jogged my memory.
My imbalance issues are aggravated when I bend over.

A huge reason to scrap the hubcaps,less bending over
Old 01-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #20

Yup, my wife agrees with you. So you must be right.

Thanks for the input. Now I have to be able to bend over long enough to get the rear covers off.

Tags
cover, sunseeker, wheel