Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #1

When to trade for a newer RV?

Here is a philosophical question for the group.

I have a 2014 Sunseeker 2860 DS that I bought 1 year old. It is in very good shape, but not perfect. It is stored outside so it is starting to show some UV fade. The interior is in very good shape as we don't have kids or pets. But there are some signs of wear showing up. Right now, thanks to a booming RV economy, I think the resale/trade value is pretty good compared to what I paid for it.

It seems that RVs drop some in value initially, then plateau for a bit, then drop again before plateauing again. I believe I am still in the top plateau and could get a reasonable price for the RV if I sell or trade it.

I am about 10 years from retirement and my goal is to get a retirement RV when I do retire. So I am thinking I should trade now and again in 5 to 6 years before the value drops off too much. I am not worried about having the latest/greatest RV as I really like the one I have. But if I keep it 5 or especially 10 more years, it will be worth very little and I will be left with little value toward a trade.

So what is your strategy if you have one?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If you are happy with your current RV I would keep it until you are ready to buy your retirement RV.

Trading now and again in five or six years for yet another one probably won't be as cost effective as you might think.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #3

Ours is a 2012 with 89000 miles on it that we put on it and have no need to get a new one. If it fills your need and you like it, keep it. Make some simple mods to make it seem newer. That is no different then the person that needs a new car/truck every other year. I would love to have the money they lost!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Interesting topic for sure and for the same reason RV manufactures make different floor plans and they come in different colors, I’m sure there are an equal number of strategies.
My biggest concerns would be; Is it serviceable? Does the floorplan work? Will the parks let it in? Do you like the thickness of your wallet? The rest is irrelevant. YMMV
Old 11-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post

I have a 2014 Sunseeker 2860 DS that I bought 1 year old. It is in very good shape, but not perfect. It is stored outside so it is starting to show some UV fade. The interior is in very good shape as we don't have kids or pets. But there are some signs of wear showing up. Right now, thanks to a booming RV economy, I think the resale/trade value is pretty good compared to what I paid for it.

It seems that RVs drop some in value initially, then plateau for a bit, then drop again before plateauing again. I believe I am still in the top plateau and could get a reasonable price for the RV if I sell or trade it.

I am about 10 years from retirement and my goal is to get a retirement RV when I do retire. So I am thinking I should trade now and again in 5 to 6 years before the value drops off too much. I am not worried about having the latest/greatest RV as I really like the one I have. But if I keep it 5 or especially 10 more years, it will be worth very little and I will be left with little value toward a trade.

Thanks.
I suspect you're probably right about the plateaus of the price of used RVs. You take a big hit when you pull it off the lot - more than a car or truck - but then it decreases slowly until the fabric and colors go out of favor and it becomes harder to sell so the price drops off again. Obviously, the more "used" it looks, the less you'll get for it.

When to upgrade depends a lot on your life situation and your finances.

Our TT is a 2011 that we've had for 4 seasons. I plan to retire in 3 years and upgrade to a 5er at that time so the TT will be about 10 years old then. It suits us fine now but we'd love to have a larger grey tank for stays at provincial parks at electric-only sites. It has a ton of storage and a huge bathroom you just kind find these days, but a 5er will be easier to hitch/unhitch for my bad back and have twice the grey tank capacity. Our boys camp with us about half the time and they handle the heavy lifting but in 3 years they'll all be graduated university and hopefully have full time jobs, so we won't have them with us very often by then.

When its time to upgrade, I'll do what I did the last 2 times - sell privately and then use the cash for the new trailer. There's too big a hit when you trade in. We'll buy a new 5er only if I can't find a gently used unit with a floor plan we like. We've owned 3 trailers and never bought new so far - saved a ton I think.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Mine is a 2014 as well. We love the floor plan and features so Our plan it maintain it as best we can and make it last as long as we can. Our last Class C, which we inherited, was 18 yrs old. Yeah it was outdated but worked great for us.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Site Team

The other pieces of the puzzle you need to factor in is cost of a new one and the market saturation of used ones. Right now the market for new RVs is strong and prices are high. In addition, there are a lot of RVs being sold that should be on the used market in a few years some of which will be lightly used because they were emotional purchases at an RV show. As the market slows and more good condition used ones begin to show up prices should drop all the way around. Your RV may also drop the same percentage but the net price difference could benefit you.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #8

Save money

If you want to be happier and save money I would recommend building a cover to keep this RV and any others you buy out of the sun and elements. The metal ones are not that expensive and the benefits are unmeasurable. Just a thought
39chevyinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

Since you have a 2014, you'll have until 2024 before some parks won't let you camp because they have the 'ten year rule'. Then you'd have to make a decision about the rv and where you want to camp.

Personally, I think the rv market is too unpredictable to make assumptions on the future.

If you find an rv you like and can afford it, why wait?
Old 11-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #10

When to trade

When the name of your current RV becomes "Stupid" - then it's time to trade.
awc4562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by awc4562 View Post

That's why you de-sticker them ASAP.
Nobody knows what mine is.

My wife knows I would never drive around in a 'Leprechaun'...

I keep mine covered, clean, up to snuff and repair everything that fails...or is about to fail...even the little things.
Initially I planned on like 5 years with this current "c" ...now I am rethinking that. I will most likely keep it longer...it works great for us and is paid off. Gets used enough to keep everything working good.
Maybe 8-10 years with this one.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by awc4562 View Post
Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #13

keeping your rig

might consider having it painted. A painted rig will keep looking new for a very long time. I have a painted fiver and it shows as well as the day we picked it up.
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #14

Thanks for the input everyone. Lots to consider.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #15

Trade up when your desire matches your savings account! I hate debt.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
ARLO

Quote:

Thanks.
It sounds like you are ready,
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #17

Quote:

Thanks.
My strategy, when I'm ready to sell my current rig and buy another, is to get an appraisal on both just like I would if selling or buying a house.

I joined a Facebook group called RV Pricing and Values. The group currently has 26000 members and the appraiser has posted some very informative and valuable (to me) information.

He currently does appraisals for $30 and members claim to have saved thousands.

I'm not related to the appraiser and my only affiliation is being a group member.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #18

Well my current travel trailer is a 2007 model which we bought in Sept of 2006, so it has served us well for 12 seasons. I have done many mods, the major one being the upgrade of the torsion axles, wheels and tires to get a reasonable safety margin.

We have towed this trailer from Ohio to Arizona 3 times 8500 mile round trips each time with no issues. We really like the floor plan and have no intent of replacing it period.

My advice for what it's worth, find what you like and keep it until it's worn out.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #19

I say keep it. I am retired with a small 2012 2250sle. I bought it used, with 50k on it in 2016. I have put another 30k on it. Yes it is dinged up. Yes it is fading. Yes it is not perfect inside. 1. It is paid for! 2. I can probably get another 80k miles on it. 3. I don't have to worry about dings and nicks on a new one as I am proved to do. 4. I have worked all the kinks out and reading the forum indicates that all RV's have kinks. 5. I will loose my trade in if I ever trade it in but I figure its paid for.

I say keep it, enjoy it and see what happens. Enjoy the journey.
North Texas Retirees having fun
The dog is part Yorkie and part Rottweiller - figure it out!
We did the dna tests lol.
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #20

When the paths of money, desire, and opportunity cross.

It’s a hobby.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote