Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
SDN

Red face Where is the gray and black tank out?

We bought a 2021 Forester model Class C (2251 SLE). This is our first experience. We did a trip and looking for dumping the gray and black tank. Surprisingly we saw only one outlet and one T handle. So is it by design? We thought there will be two outlets - one for gray and one for black.
SDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I would expect two also.
Had the gray and the black on my Georgetown and the same on our Sunseeker.
Usually the black will be a slightly larger pipe than the gray, but they’re usually emptied from the same location.

Hopefully someone with the same year and model as yours will chime in.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport with 6 speed Triton V-10
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:23 AM   #3
SDN

Thank you for your response

Thank you for your response
Old 04-07-2021, 03:10 AM   #4

On our class c we have the black tank valve on the passenger side by the rear wheel. This keeps the weight out of the cross pipe while traveling, so it is less likely to break. You will probably need to lay underneath to see how the pipes are ran.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #5

Some units...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDN View Post
We bought a 2021 Forester model Class C (2251 SLE). This is our first experience. We did a trip and looking for dumping the gray and black tank. Surprisingly we saw only one outlet and one T handle. So is it by design? We thought there will be two outlets - one for gray and one for black.
Some units have two gray tanks--one for the "galley" (kitchen sink) and one for the shower and lavatory sink.

The galley sink outlet will be plumbed in 1-1/2" pipe with a single T-handle.

The shower/lavatory gray water outlet (1-1/2") and the black (toilet) water outlet (3") will each have a T-handle. They come together in a "Y" after the two valves, to a single hose fitting.

If you have this configuration, it seems like you have found the galley tank drain and need to go look for the other one.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #6

Didn't the dealer show you how to dump the tanks? Try a different dealer next time if they didn't
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #7

The gray valve is near the outlet... but head over to the other side and look underneath, halfway between the rear wheels and the bumper. You'll find the black tank valve.

Correct, your dealer should have showed you this during the PDI, but there's only so much information you can store during one of those visits.

Enjoy your 2251, cuz to our 2250!

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

https://pbase.com/brucemac/2015octsunseeker
Old 04-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #8

Specs for 2021 Forester Class C 2251SLE show Fresh Water: 35.00 gal., Gray Water: 32.00 gal., Black Water: 27.00 gal. so I doubt if there is a galley tank. You do see a lot of odd configurations, but typically the black tank has a 3" pipe and knife valve. And the gray tank has a 1˝" pipe and knife valve. Usually, they both go to a "Y" and terminate at a capped 3" pipe. If that is not the case, there has to be another valve, because if they dump from the same valve there would be cross contamination.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

2016 2250 Sunseeker:

Dump and gray valve on Drivers side:

Black valve on Passenger side:

Old 04-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
2016 2250 Sunseeker:

Dump and gray valve on Drivers side:

Black valve on Passenger side:
These pics should help solve the puzzle!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78/'24 = 41; Booked for 2024 = 55
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #11

Wouldn't work for me

Hook up the hose on one side, then run around to the other side to open/close the valve? That would NOT work for me!

Our big trailer is permanently sited with power and water but no sewer. We have a 25 gallon tote--about as big as I can handle. (We have 40 gallon black and gray tanks.) I connect up the tote, remove its vent cap, and open the slide valve. When I see bubbles or the water level approaching the top, I close the slide valve and vent, drain the hose, drag the tote to the golf cart, and tow it to one of the dump stations.

If I had to run around the trailer to cut off the flow, I would overflow the tote every time. Whoever designed that has clearly never used one with a tote smaller than the tank.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #12

Talk about residuals, A gray with a run that long from dump valve to the dump port, maybe. The black; no way.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:01 PM   #13

Actually, never had an issue with residuals. Of course, we tend to put 3-4 toilet fulls of water in after dumping, and running those out.

As far as the location, yea, it's odd, but considering the size of the unit, at least they didn't bury the valve underneath like they did on our old Four Winds. On that unit, before I put in an access hatch, I had to almost lay on the ground (while dumping waste?) to open one of the valves. I don't recall which... but what a mess that was. Being able to reach through made it a lot more sanitary, and easier too!

If I wanted both on the drivers side, a remote cable could be installed. I'm fine with the setup, though it did seem very odd at first.

Everyone's situation varies, and what they accept or don't. There's so much going for the 2250 for us that we don't mind this anomaly.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:09 PM   #14

Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
As far as the location, yea, it's odd, but considering the size of the unit, at least they didn't bury the valve underneath like they did on our old Four Winds. On that unit, before I put in an access hatch, I had to almost lay on the ground (while dumping waste?) to open one of the valves. I don't recall which... but what a mess that was. Being able to reach through made it a lot more sanitary, and easier too!
Nowadays, you would just put in an electrically-operated valve and run 12v through a conveniently mounted switch. In fact, given the situation I described earlier, that's exactly what I would do.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:07 AM   #15
SDN

Thumbs up Thank you so much

I am loving this forum. Thank you so much - cannot appreciate enough your time to respond and even showing the pics. Thank you thank you.

Yes we have found both - as the pics you shared.

One thing I must say - at least with very limited knowledge so far -- would not it be better if the valves are oriented towards an angle upwards? During the travel and movement, and due to gravity - these can pull out and then the whole pipe will be full of black and grey water filled up to the mouth.

And sadly, the dealer did show almost nothing to us. NOTHING (we are so upset) as this was our first buy. When asked they told us they will send videos but after 3 months of waiting we got none - not a single video link.

I wanted to mention their name and location but we are not vindictive and do not want to ruin their reputation - but we are not at all happy. We are not sure what was in the play - our look, skin color, where we are coming from or what? We should treat everyone as human.

Again, thank you for helping us with your time/ kind gesture.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:26 AM   #16
Site Team

SDN, it's unfortunate that you didn't join this Forum BEFORE you picked up your RV. We could have advised you to not accept the RV until you received a good PDI/walkthrough and not accept the one you got.
You're the customer and don't have to accept a lousy PDI.
But at least you're here now and our members will help you as much as possible.
Luckily I joined a number of RV forums before I picked up my first new rv, back in 2006. I was well prepared for the PDI and made sure that they went over everything and had all the systems up and running for me to test and answered all my questions.
RV forums are essential for newbies to negotiate through the confusing RV world.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #17

Uphill?

Quote:
One thing I must say - at least with very limited knowledge so far -- would not it be better if the valves are oriented towards an angle upwards? During the travel and movement, and due to gravity - these can pull out and then the whole pipe will be full of black and grey water filled up to the mouth.
There's no pump to drain the tanks. They drain by gravity. If the exit were higher than the tank or higher than the valve, the tank would not empty, or would not empty completely. It's gotta be downhill all the way.

It is possible that a valve has a small trickle leak. That's why I have the habit of holding my drain hose, open end up, beneath the cap as I remove it, to catch the cup or so that might come out.

(I hesitate to mention this next part because I don't want to scare you.) I've never seen this, but it's been mentioned on this forum that prankster kids could leave the cap on the drain but open both valves, thinking that a careless camper could take the cap off without noticing and get drenched. The lesson here is to always check that both valve handles are pushed in all the way before removing the cap, and always hold the hose as mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Quote:
I wanted to mention their name and location but we are not vindictive and do not want to ruin their reputation - but we are not at all happy. We are not sure what was in the play - our look, skin color, where we are coming from or what? We should treat everyone as human.
If it's any consolation, my guess is that everyone at your dealership is treated badly.

You don't have to be shy about giving a negative review. This forum accepts them. But if the initials of your dealership are C.W. you don't have to bother--they already have a ton of negative reviews. (There are a few exceptions.)

It's likely that the dealer did not make the promised videos--that they were made by the manufacturer. Have you looked at the manufacturer's website for them?

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #18

The valves can be reoriented in one of four positions. However, if the handle was pointed up, it may be inconvenient to use, or will be obstructed by other objects. You'd need to cut the pipe & install new fittings to orientation them any other direction.

I've had valves oriented this way for years; never had an issue with them self-opening. There's too much resistance on the blade.

As Larry stated, read, read, read... and ask questions.
Take pics & post them as I did; pics are worth a thousand words. Many folks jump to the conclusion that your unit is like theirs, but that may not be the case unless they have the same model.

List your model and number in every opening post, or add it to your signature, as I have.

Above all else, use & enjoy your rig!
Old 04-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #19

Our '21 Wolf Pup has a single drain hose connection fitting. The grey and black water tanks both empty through this same fitting, with T-handle valves for each tank. This is convenient in that we can first empty the black water tank, close that valve, then open the grey water tank and let it rinse any residual out of the hose. The grey water residual is much less nasty than anything the black water tank is going to leave behind.

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Hoomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #20

It's now obvious that I misinterpreted your post. I thought you wanted to change the pipe angle. It's now clear that you merely meant to rotate the valve. You can, if you like. It's completely symmetrical--all four rotation orientations and also front to back. No sealants are needed. You might not be able to fully open the valve if you put the handle on top--measure first.

These valves are really sticky, as Brucemc wrote. The sliding gate is clamped between two seals that compress when the four screws you see are tightened. You have to tug hard and push hard. But suppose a valve did open. There's only a quart or two of waste water between the valve and cap. Just close the valve and hold the hose facing upward as you remove the cap and you won't spill a drop.

Tags
black, black tank, tank