Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #21

Shopping for a new 5th wheel, we recently found a Rockwood floor plan that was just what we want--but the bottom of the microwave was at eye level for me. I'm 6' tall. My wife is 5'. How many times have we all found a feature in an RV that caused us to say "what were they thinking?".
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
So do you think owners of 2019 Sunseeker/Foresters with the optional convection/microwave oven mounted oven above the range should be concerned that said oven might someday end up on the floor?
I can't speak to the structural integrity of the cabinet holding the convection micro in that Sunseeker. It may be just fine. Meanwhile, the manufacturer, after coming to the realization that the heavier, larger appliance needs a more substantial cabinet, may have determined that the upper placement was not worth the additional cost.

Then again, if you take the Sunseeker where I always go...ten or more miles into heavily washboarded, potholed dirt roads, and then further into goat paths and ATV trails, your convection micro just might end up on the floor. I've had to reinforce my cheesy little conventional micro after subjecting it to these ordeals. But the cabinet itself is fine.

A reasonable option for "overhead mounting might be at or near the top of a floor to ceiling pantry cabinet. The cabinet itself is both deep, and due to its size and contact with the floor, it's also sturdier than overheads attached to the walls above appliances.

The move to the lowers for this appliance is a pragmatic one, and given the novelty of convection micros as replacements for an oven and separate micro - especially in rigs like NoBos, GeoPros and so on - most likely reflects an evolution of design views based on hard-won experience and warranty claims. It also depends on just how substantial the rig is overall. If you're talking about an Ibex, it's not fair to compare it to a Class C or a Fiver. Weight and intended uses are HUGE considerations in the Ibex, and the extra reinforcement needed to ensure structural integrity for this appliance in an overhead cabinet is a barrier to both. A Class C, built on an E-450 chassis or heavier has more flexibility, and let's face it, that Class C isn't going down any ATV trails.

Apples and oranges overall, and 2 years in RV design incorporating this relatively new (to RVs) appliance into that overall design no doubt delivered some very hard lessons to the manufacturers.

At least in the original post the OP did not identify the rig, but if you look at this Ibex, you'll see my point regarding smaller, off-road-capable campers.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...bex/19MBH/5409 This placement would be a deal breaker in a Class A. So it depends.

By the way, this is where you can find me...if your rig can get there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lost Park 2020 - 2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	242282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wellington1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	242283  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:13 PM   #23

We love Our Columbus! We have an over the range microwave / convection as well as a four burner stove and an oven. Needless to say the OTR microwave / convection includes the exhaust fan vented to outside and work lights. Not saying it will still be an over the range mount if we go down some of the roads it appears Jim Moore 13 heads down!
(The Columbus is permanently parked at a golf course.)
The much shorter Corsair, on the other hand, would Likely handle those roads / trails. (??) And I am confident the microwave would still be securely in place at the end of the trek!
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:16 PM   #24

It was designed by the same person who thought it was a good idea to build a range with a double oven, with the larger oven on the bottom. I don't know anyone who wants to try power lifting a turkey.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
With the convection microwave is mounted under the stove your 6 year old can program it when you can't figure out the many functions.
Hmm maybe another reason not to have too low. Can think of children putting nothing or some plastic toy in there, hitting buttons and turning it on while you are outside and cooking that microwave oven. Prefer it a little higher up.
SunseekerFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #26

we have the convection microwave oven mounted about the stove - certainly would not want it where the oven is - I use a stool when I am cooking anything it in that would require very careful handling! Using the stool (a good sturdy one) works well and I can read everything without an issue. (Would have problems getting up from the floor if it was done where the oven is - yes, I do have an oven too - don't use it much but makes a good storage box when not in use for intended purpose). Definite back up for boondocking too!
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFL View Post
Hmm maybe another reason not to have too low. Can think of children putting nothing or some plastic toy in there, hitting buttons and turning it on while you are outside and cooking that microwave oven. Prefer it a little higher up.
Now THAT'S a good point!!
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #28

Looking at other brands. Not buying a rig without a propane oven. Especially one with it on the floor.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote