Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
DaLexusGuy

Who tows a pontoon or similar size boat?

I recently purchased a pontoon and would like to start taking it along on camping trips.

Given that my rig is already 30ft, and the boat/trailer/engine are another 28ft., I am wondering how difficult and/or cumbersome it would be to maneuver in and around fuel stations, and also how practical it would be to use the MH to launch and load the boat at the boat ramps.

Anyone with experience that could offer your thoughts?
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #2

I towed a 22 ft pontoon behind my 3010DS motorhome. Getting around isn't bad if you're used to towing a trailer. Launching the boat could not be done by backing down the boat ramp. The tail end of the motorhome would go in the water. I had to install a front mounted hitch and flip the trailer to the front and "push" the boat down the ramp. I also added a 4 foot extension to the hitch prior to hooking up the trailer and pushing the boat down the ramp. otherwise my generator (mounted just past the driver's door) would be in the water. Maybe this wouldn't be a problem if the boat trailer had a longer tongue extension but the pontoon trailers seem to be a bit on the short side for the tongue. The nice side effect of pushing the boat down the ramp was this method was very easy for my DW to do while I got the boat launched and tied to the dock. But it is a process when you get to the ramp. And if the ramp is busy, then the other boaters really shoot you dirty looks while you're turning everything around to prepare to launch. I no longer have the boat but would do the same today if I did.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #3

i have pulled my 17.5 bayliner boat behind my 5th. wheel for years. 30 ft trailer, 17.5 boat ,and pulled by a chev 2500 silverado duramax. i have my fuel stops memorized, prefer to use semi lanes ,some wont take card at pump so i have to go inside and pre-pay. there is a fuel rate for semis set up by trucking companys on first 200/300 gallons then fuel cost varies for them. " in texas". so i have been told. never been bothered by police on length, weight etc. police have helped me several times ,flat tires, getting me to a shop safely. lots of tugging on hitch, trailer tongue takes a beating ,broke in half. dead end roads using google maps will get you in a pickle, stay on big hwys, plan a route .camping spots ,,,extra parking can be a factor, call ahead if possible. st.parks wont let you even put a tire on grass , varies park to park. but usually no.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
DaLexusGuy

Great Idea

Thomas,

Thanks so much for the reply and advice.

I had considered adding a front hitch receiver (although I was reluctant to cut out portions of the plastic below the front bumper in order to mount it). But, I hadn't thought about the 4ft extension to help keep the front of the motorhome out of the water on a shallow ramp. Great idea!

Now I am curious to know if you ever tried the 4 foot extension on the back of the motorhome, and just backing down the ramp?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I don't think towing a boat with a motorhome is a very common thing, so I wasn't expecting a lot of replies.

Leonard
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
i have pulled my 17.5 bayliner boat behind my 5th. wheel for years. 30 ft trailer, 17.5 boat ,and pulled by a chev 2500 silverado duramax. i have my fuel stops memorized, prefer to use semi lanes ,some wont take card at pump so i have to go inside and pre-pay. there is a fuel rate for semis set up by trucking companys on first 200/300 gallons then fuel cost varies for them. " in texas". so i have been told. never been bothered by police on length, weight etc. police have helped me several times ,flat tires, getting me to a shop safely. lots of tugging on hitch, trailer tongue takes a beating ,broke in half. dead end roads using google maps will get you in a pickle, stay on big hwys, plan a route .camping spots ,,,extra parking can be a factor, call ahead if possible. st.parks wont let you even put a tire on grass , varies park to park. but usually no.
Check out the TSD card. Discounts and works in the semi lanes.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #6

I have a similar setup as yours. I only tow it to local lakes but don’t have a problem fueling up, just pick a spot you can manoeuvre into. I back into the boat launch to load and unload, the pontoon boat is easy to see in the mirrors so backing up is easy. I also take the boat out using motorhome. Not hard at all and I can load and unload the boat faster than most others. Maybe practice backing up in a parking lot. Don’t wait until it is your turn at the ramp to start undoing tie downs etc., be ready.

How far you can back up depends on the ramp incline. I have on occasion pretty much buried the rear differential without getting any compartments wet. If you take a look at your differential you will see a breather tube coming out of the axle part of the differential. Do not go over that or you will get water in differential. Also check the integrity of the breather tube for leaks.

Tags
boat, size, tow