Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #1

Why we like our 3170DS

I felt like I needed to send this post because of our appreciation for the Sunseeker 3170 DS. Posters have talked about why they like their particular Sunseeker models. This is why we would not trade our 3170. We have four grandchildren, two most of the time, and four from time to time. We use the RV both for traveling from place to place and also for staying at place to place.

First, there is no service on the 3170 which I cannot perform myself. New tires cost less than a third of a class A.

We slept nine in the RV in Arizona at the Grand Canyon and in Las Vegas; two in the rear bed, two in the overhead bunk, two on the dinette, two in the bunks, and one on the pullout couch.

Head worked fine, shower worked fine, and coffee worked fine. But then we had people who had lived on sailboats for years.

Sure, a 44 foot Class A might be better for some folks, but our Sunsseeker 3170 was the best, by far, for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #2

Us two and 👍to grandkids. In fact, that is why we bought our 3170. We use it a lot and plan to use it more upon retirement. Pulls toad just fine. We feel we made the right choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

Garrette, could I ask you about your set up for pulling your toad?
hardoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

hardboiler, I am not Garrette, but I use a Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, Roadmaser Falcon2 tow bar and for aux braking a Brakebuddy. All used except the baseplate and the breakaway switch. Hardly know the car is back their and maybe costs 1mpg if that.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

My wife keeps a travel journal in the RV. We have had our 3170DS since 2011. Our useage has not slowed down. For this year so far we are already at 29 days. Our Christmas travels will put us over 34 days for 2015!

We have three pre-teen kids and cousins from time to time.

We call it our families Suburban... Costs close to the same too!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

Hardoiler-

While I use a blue ox bar and patriot brake I would suggest shopping by the base plate you want for your toad. I toad a jeep and found the blue ox base plate to be a simple solution for me. If I saw that the roadmaster was easier or better looking for the work involved I would have gone that route. There are conversion connections between most manufactures but that is another tact...
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #7

For us the 3170DS is perfect. We love the Bunkie space we love the bath tub / Shower. (for bathing little ones). Love the storage space.....Pulling our 4 down TOAD (Jeep Liberty) is a snap. We have had minor maintenance issues.

Perfect for us
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #8

If I hadn't bought the 3050 I would have bought the 3170 also just wanted little more room grandkids don't go that often
Old 12-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #9

I love mine, even though my now adult sons rarely come along these days, and no grandkids quite yet. However, I really enjoy the additional space in my MMC (Mobile Man Cave) and the all inclusive head area as opposed to a split set-up.
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

love our 2014 3170ds,,pull a jeep wrangler 4 down using roadmaster set up.about 12000 miles so far and still liking it. we take 2 grandkids with us most of the time and they love the mh.
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by budblack View Post
I felt like I needed to send this post because of our appreciation for the Sunseeker 3170 DS. Posters have talked about why they like their particular Sunseeker models. This is why we would not trade our 3170. We have four grandchildren, two most of the time, and four from time to time. We use the RV both for traveling from place to place and also for staying at place to place.
We love ours, too. We purchased ours in order to take my MIL, who was bed ridden with dementia, to see her family across the USA. It worked great for our needs. No problems at all with the 3170 DS and we traveled over 7,000 miles over this summer. Everyone was comfortable, plenty of room for people and medical equipment, My MIL passed away in September and I am so glad that we were able to make this trip happen.

Wife and I are now retired and there won't be any grass growing under our Sunseeker.

Happy travels!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:17 AM   #12

Love our 2014 3170ds also . Very few problems. Lived in it for 4 months last summer and we were very comfortable. Removed the lower bunk and put in an lg washer/dryer combo as well as replacing counter tops with wood butcher block and slip covering dinette backs and all valances. Also replaced kitchen sink with hand hammered copper one, and new bronze pull down faucet. Put electric fireplace/ heater in bottom bunk room cabinet. Just love it and made our own western horse decor movable cabin! Perfect for me,my husband, our corgi our yellow lab and our Siamese kitty.
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoiler View Post
Garrette, could I ask you about your set up for pulling your toad?

A lot of folks use different setups. Am I running the best? I do not know. Did a lot of research and touched a lot of setups and for us, this works.

Toad is a 2014 Subrau Outback, manual shift. Everyday driver. We needed a new car anyway

Demco Dominator with Rvi2 Brake system.
Wired toad brake and tail lights with husky diodes.
Installed a direct line 12volt plug from battery to inside of car to power RVi2.
Tow pan from Demco installed.
I got the TPMS system with the brake. It has stopped working. Do not know why. Looking at another TPMS system.
With the turn radius of the E450, no problems hitting toad in a tight turn.

Hook and go, no fuses to pull. Easy.
Things to remember, key in to unlock steering, shifter in neutral, turn headlights from auto to off.

Hope this helps. Anyone else want to chum in?

Old 12-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
A lot of folks use different setups. Am I running the best? I do not know. Did a lot of research and touched a lot of setups and for us, this works.

Toad is a 2014 Subrau Outback, manual shift. Everyday driver. We needed a new car anyway

Demco Dominator with Rvi2 Brake system.
Wired toad brake and tail lights with husky diodes.
Installed a direct line 12volt plug from battery to inside of car to power RVi2.
Tow pan from Demco installed.
I got the TPMS system with the brake. It has stopped working. Do not know why. Looking at another TPMS system.
With the turn radius of the E450, no problems hitting toad in a tight turn.

Hook and go, no fuses to pull. Easy.
Things to remember, key in to unlock steering, shifter in neutral, turn headlights from auto to off.

Hope this helps. Anyone else want to chum in?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1449750920.267552.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	95883

Old 12-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #15

We purchased our 2010 3170 from a single private owner and it had 10K miles on it. We had a new baby but still wanted to get out and do stuff. It's perfect for us with 3 young boys, 6 mo, 3 and 6 and what better ages to go camping. We were out for the first time when the baby was 2 weeks old and ended up doing 10 more weekend/long weekend trips through Nov. Can't wait to get back out this spring.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #16

I pull a 2010 jeep wrangler 4wd auto.roadmaster tow bar w jeep towing harness for lights.transfer case In neutral and keys out of switch with shifter in park. plug and go lots of good systems out there. ive used this tow bar with 3 diff mhs and 2 diff jeeps
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #17
Love My Sunseeker

I got the computer desk option. Wouldn't trade that for bunk beds.

I didn't think I would need the middle TV because of the computer desk, so I asked for it not to be put in. Well, they ignored me and I still got the middle TV. I sheepishly admit I watch it more than the other two TV's. I watch it while I'm on the computer. Glad they ignored me......

I love this model! Except I wouldn't get the Entertainment Center with the two side cabinets, because if you want to rewire the TV, it's cumbersome to try to take it off the front, there aren't any "outlets" to get to the back. Forest River solved that problem by adding two twin beds instead of the cabinets. The cabinets are wasted space anyway because you can't put anything up there anyway (except blankets....)

I LOVE the couch, and that they made it so you can store stuff under the couch. One of my friends slept on the couch and said it was pretty comfortable.

I LOVE the 3170. I hope Forest River keeps making the computer desk option.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #18

Family of 7, the only complaint is counter space. Love it. We leave on the 22 and can not wait!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #19

We are newbies (1 trip under our belt), so far love our 2013 3170DS, bought it used, but looks new from stem to stern. Plan going south in January away from the snow. 😄

Took daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter on the maiden voyage, about 600 miles RT, handled well. We got hooked up ok, dewinterized, everything worked. Didn't run the heater the first night, woke up warm with a cool face reminiscent of sleeping in a tent on a frosty morning. 😉Lived through it all. Best of all was the 3 yo, telling her grandmother in the middle of the night, how "sited" she was and glad we got a RV. She didn't want to shop or go out to eat, just wanted to go back to the RV. Must have climbed up that ladder 100 times. 😀

We found it comfortable and cozy, bathroom worked fine, shower a little light, but it did its job. Frig kept the beer cold. My only complaint, if that's the correct word, is that the heater is a bit noisy. We picked up a small electric heater to keep the chill off, when we didn't need to run the main heater.

Driving is work compared to a luxury car, for sure, two hands on the wheel at all times, cruise control helped a lot, just let everyone pass. Once traffic lightened, cruising was pleasant. Kinda neat, pulling in to a restaurant on the road and everyone checking out the RV. 😎. Looking forward to many more adventures as we call them.

Tom and Linda
Old 12-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #20

Couldn't agree more as the others have already said about the 3170, our family really seems to be a prefect fit for it! So glad we traded in our TT for it!

Recently camped at Hershey Campground during Thanksgiving and there was 2 other 3170's in the campground as well besides ours. Seems to be a very popular model.

Tags