Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #1

Wifi router/booster/external antenna install suggestion?

We have a 2013 Sunseeker 2860DS and I'm preparing to set up our Mellenicon mifi/router/Wilson Sleek booster with an external antenna (I ordered a 12" external antenna besides what the Sleek comes with) going to the roof.

I am concerned about drilling through the roof and also feel constrained somewhat by the few AC power locations in the coach. After looking around I think I have an idea and would appreciate your feedback and suggestion.

How about putting the router/mifi/booster combo in the back bedroom closet and run the external antenna cable out the side of the closet which is the back of the coach then up to the roof?
Or out the back of the closet coming out the side adjacent to the awning, following the awning up to the roof?

I've read people's suggestions to glue a metal plate to the roof for a magnetic location for the antenna, that's my plan there.

What do you think? How have people with similar setups set up their Wilson Sleek antenna?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3110391118.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	33617   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3863108729.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	33618  
wplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #2

Hi wplate, I don't think I can help you very much since I'm not familiar with your unit, but I will tell you what I did. I have a magnetic mount Sleek antenna. I Velcro'd a coffee can bottom (scuffed up and primed) on top of the refrigerator vent cover. The antenna sits there. I have the tiny 4" antenna and it doesn't get knocked off as often as your taller antenna might. I easily routed the coax under that vent cover and down through the back of the refrigerator chase. I drilled a hole for a grommet through the paneling above the refrig. The coax is coiled in the shelf over the refrig when not in use.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

This tool will detect wires etc. http://dewalt.com/uploads/dewalt/CMS...ner/index.html
DrJMB is offline   Reply With Quote