Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Will heat pump turn on furnace

We have a 2017 sunseeker 2800qs and are wondering if we have the heat pump on and the outside temp drops below 32 degrees, Wil the heat pump automatically turn on the furnace when the heat pump can not heat efficiently?
Tom C 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C 47 View Post
We have a 2017 sunseeker 2800qs and are wondering if we have the heat pump on and the outside temp drops below 32 degrees, Wil the heat pump automatically turn on the furnace when the heat pump can not heat efficiently?
NO. The furnace is controlled by the thermostat temp setting, not the heat pump. IF the heat pump has an aux heat strip ( I do not know if they do, I doubt it due to a large amp draw.) then the heat pump will turn that on. Its just like the heat pump in a residence.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #3

well maybe

Our heat pump will kick on the propane furnace when the heat pump fails to extract external heat from the air. Or we can select furnace only. We did dump the dometic heat pump for a coleman unit last year. I do not think the dometic had that feature.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #4

If it works like one in a house. Then it has heat strips when it get below a certain temp out side the heat strips kick in and provide extra heat. The blower on the furnace will cut on to circulate the heat.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Our heat pump will kick on the propane furnace when the heat pump fails to extract external heat from the air. Or we can select furnace only. We did dump the dometic heat pump for a coleman unit last year. I do not think the dometic had that feature.
see there, never to old to learn something.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
If it works like one in a house. Then it has heat strips when it get below a certain temp out side the heat strips kick in and provide extra heat. The blower on the furnace will cut on to circulate the heat.
If the furnace blower is on, the furnace is providing the heat. It's not gonna just move the heat around.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #7

As a side note it is 28 right now outside. Using an oil radiator in the coach, keeping up to 72. Bet I would burn a lb or two of propane this weekend if I was using the furnace........
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If the furnace blower is on, the furnace is providing the heat. It's not gonna just move the heat around.
That is correct but it is the heat strips that are proving the extra heat. If like a house furnace.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #9

On our 2017 2860ds no it wont bring in the furnace, when we camp in the winter we find that we can get away with using the heat pump during the day but have to switch it over to furnace at night when the tempature drops
gasgastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #10

It appears there are a lot of different types of answers. Looks like it would depend on your particular unit. Our unit has the electric heat tape contained within and it will also activate the furnace if needed.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

If I understand the question correctly, I would think not ! The thermostat setting is on Heat Pump, or furnace ! I do not think it will automatically switch from one to the other at a certain temp !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #12

The following is taken from a manual for heat pumps..

How does the Heat Pump Thermostat Work

The RvComfort.HP, the RvComfort.PHP, the Coleman True-Air, and the RvComfort.ZC thermostats by RvProducts Inc. are all capable of running not only an Air Conditioning unit, but also an Electric Heat Pump. Frequently we receive calls from customers who do not understand the functions of the Heat Pump Thermostats. This guide is a quick run through of the information already provided in the Thermostat Operation Manual, included with each thermostat.

The Heat Pump is an electric source for heat. It will supply and maintain heat assuming the outside (ambient) temperature is above 40 degrees. This number of course can be slightly higher or lower depending on the humidity. Higher humidity can cause a heat pump to lose efficiency at a slightly higher ambient temperature, while lower humidity can cause a heat pump to lose efficiency at a lower ambient temperature.

Since no one wants to wake up to find that the outside temperature dropped below forty degrees and it is now 50 degrees inside the coach, the Heat Pump thermostats are programmed internally to recognize when the temperature drops five degrees or more from the set temperature to the actual inside room temperature. When the temperature exceeds five degrees or more between the two, the thermostat will default to the next available heat source.

The thermostat, upon sensing a temperature split of five degrees or more in the electric heat mode will bring the gas heat on to assist the electric heat. This is the first strike. A strike is created by the thermostat having to change modes (or run dual modes to sustain a temperature split). The electric heat and the gas heat will continue to run together until the thermostat reaches the set temperature and satisfies. When the electric heat comes back on, it will be in electric heat only at that point. If the temperature again drops five degrees or more from the set point, the thermostat will again bring the gas heat on to assist
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #13

I have a 2016 Sightseer and when the heat pump can't keep up my propane furnace does kick in
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

Our heat pump (Dometic with Dometic thermostat) DOES automatically default over from heat pump to furnace when outdoor temps drop below about 30F. You can select Furnace or Heat Pump on the thermostat to ensure the furnace only is used when dry camping. Works great!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #15

One thing to remember is that if your furnace is not running then your tanks are not being heated by the airflow from the furnace. Might be comfy upstairs but freezing downstairs.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #16

Apparently, I thought wrong then....LOL !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
One thing to remember is that if your furnace is not running then your tanks are not being heated by the airflow from the furnace. Might be comfy upstairs but freezing downstairs.
You are so right.
We don't winterize in south GA due to the normally mild winters. Our rv is parked beside our house and plugged in to shore power. For the next week we expect nighttime temperatures in the 20's. Propane furnace is set at 50. Outside temp right now is in the 30's. Coach temperature is 49, bay temperature is 47, because I've got to keep that plumbing warm too.

On the original subject, our Dometic heat pump doesn't have heat strips. When it cannot satisfy the thermostat when set on heat pump, the setting changes to furnace. I discovered this the first week we owned it during a cold snap while in Tampa when the furnace came on automatically.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #18

I'm confused about this. Our 2500TS panel has modes for heat and cooling, and a separate furnace button. If I select heat and not furnace am I burning propane anyway? If not what is providing the heat source?
GigSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigSeeker View Post
I'm confused about this. Our 2500TS panel has modes for heat and cooling, and a separate furnace button. If I select heat and not furnace am I burning propane anyway? If not what is providing the heat source?
We're discussing heat heat pumps and furnaces connected to the same thermostat that has choices of fan, cooling, heat pump and furnace.

When running the heat pump on shore power or generator and the thermostat detects that the heat pump isn't providing enough heat to satisfy the thermostat setting due to outdoor temperature being below the operating minimum, it will automatically switch to the propane furnace setting.
The propane tank must have gas in it and be turned on for the furnace to operate.

Im not familiar with what's installed in a 2500TS. You may have a different set-up if your controls are separate and not using a digital thermostat. If you're using 120 volts to get heat you either have a heat pump or heat strips.

Your 12 volt furnace may only operate when you choose to run it and would be the only time you're heating with propane. Usually the heat comes from different vents that the electric heat source.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigSeeker View Post

Not burning propane
Heat pump is providing the heat from your shore power ( electric hook up) or generator powers the heat pump.
Frankie Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, pump