RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

Winter camping - Forester LE 2251SLE

Hi,
What do we need to do to keep our water tank and pipes (shower, faucets, etc) from freezing? I’m not sure if furnace vents to our tank. We’ll be in electric only site, so will have water tank filled, add antifreeze to black and grey water tanks and the external hoses won’t be connected. We’re doing long weekend trip in upper Lower Peninsula of Michigan in mid-November in hopes of seeing Northern Lights. Thank you!!!
Jhoygerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Run your furnace that is the best way to keep things warm. If you have tank heaters turn them on. Myself on a weekend trip (even tho I have tank heaters) I would winterize my rig and use bottled water for cooking drinking and flushing the toilet.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #3

The latest Forester brochure says the 2251SLE does not have enclosed heated waste tanks. What do you mean by “not sure if furnace vents to our tank”? Your fresh water tank should be above the floor in the living space, probably under the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B466DAAE-0541-41AB-B24B-7BDAF93CF463.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	241629  
Old 10-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #4

Turn on the furnace, then go to where the water pump, and filter are. There should be warm air blowing in the area. You might have to take a cover off to see a hose that feeds air. My 2291S has a small hose from the furnace ducting blowing warm air to the pump/filter.
Sergiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Freshwater tank is inside under the bed so as long as it doesn't get too cold inside your plumbing should be fine.

do you have the 12volt heating pads for the exposed tanks?
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #6

Thank you all for your responses!! We are picking up RV Sat (we just purchased it), and found out it comes with the “Arctic Package“. I was in process of ordering 12v heating pads, but since it comes with don’t need to. So excited!
Old 10-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #7

Thank you! Will definitely add antifreeze to holding tanks and bring lots of bottled water.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
Ambassador Member

Be safe and enjoy.
Happy Trails
No PM’s.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Antifreeze in black and gray tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoygerlach View Post
Thank you! Will definitely add antifreeze to holding tanks and bring lots of bottled water.
You've twice mentioned adding antifreeze to the black and gray tanks. I'm not sure that's a usual practice, especially since they are heated.

RV antifreeze is used full-strength. But if you were to fill your tanks with RV antifreeze there wouldn't be any room for waste. Suppose you used it at half-strength: 50/50 dilution. With 40-gallon gray and black tanks, that would mean 40 gallons of anti-freeze, 20 per tank. At Walmart prices, that would be $51.60--and it all disappears as soon as the tanks fill and you have to drain them. I think I would just run the heating pads and furnace.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #10

If you are picking this new RV up on Saturday, I recommend allowing a lot of time to spend with the dealer for orientation on all of the RV systems, including the Arctic Pac and water systems. Also find out where the water pump is located, and verify that it is in a heated area. Get training on winterization procedures if you are unfamiliar with the process.

If you intend to use the waste tanks while cold-weather camping, any antifreeze you might decide to pour in them would quickly be diluted and become ineffective, so I’m not sure what the point would be in doing that.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #11

Write down any questions you have so you don't forget.
Take a notebook with you.
If the person is talking to fast on the walk around slow them down it is very important to know how everything works.
be prepared for a lot of shedding (saw dust).

Don't put any water into your holding tank.
use bottled water for drinking and bring gallon jugs for the potty.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.
x-splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #12

We have the Artic Packing on our 2290S Sunseeker as well and are trying to figure out what exactly it does. It apparently heats all the tanks but wondering what it does in regards to the water filter system and the lines running there. We would like not to winterize quite yet but don't want to take a chance either.
I checked the manual and it is not specific enough.
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #13

Winter camping - Forester LE 2251SLE

The step up in your RV is where the black and grey tanks are located. It is an enclosed space created by a false floor and as stated, heated by an open duct approx 2”dia. There are 2 floors so to speak and not just an enclosed bottom. The main floor carries back to the rear as the thick rotocast material and the false floor sits on top. I hope I am explaining it OK..In the pics you can see the bottom of the grey tank. Note the 2x4 spacer.

I would suggest a purchase of temperature sensors. They are inexpensive, the batteries last a long while. Mine are about 3 years old. I have a sensor in the water filter/pump area another in my enclosed sewer bay and the other 2 in the freezer and fridge. Just use Velcro to attach them to the wall.

Post how the trip goes and of you had any issues.

If you are staying at a CG with full service, I see no reason to not use your RV as intended.
Fill water tank and disconnect hose and only connect dump hose when dumping.

Pictures for the temp sensors and one from my compartment to show the space between floors. May not be the same setup as yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	241893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8933.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	241894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8937.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	241895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8935.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	241897  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #14

Inside and outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice parker View Post
We have the Artic Packing on our 2290S Sunseeker as well and are trying to figure out what exactly it does. It apparently heats all the tanks but wondering what it does in regards to the water filter system and the lines running there. We would like not to winterize quite yet but don't want to take a chance either.
I checked the manual and it is not specific enough.
Janice, the tanks are below the floor where the furnace doesn't heat. The filter and water lines are above the floor in the heated area. You may want to run the furnace with the thermostat at 10-13C. Check the propane regularly as the furnace can be quite a hog.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #15

yes, we do. Our main concern is the water filter which is in a compartment outside of the unit.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Janice

just make sure you remove the filter itself and reinstall the plastic housing. Antifreeze will go through the line and it will need to be flushed in the spring.

hope this helps
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #17

that we know but what I am trying to establish is how cold can it go before freezing the water filter & lines there - heat pads do the tanks but what about the water filter and those lines? it is a sunseeker 2290S
Old 11-01-2020, 10:07 AM   #18

Found what we were looking for thanks to the photos posted here. Ours does have a vent directly at the top of the water filter unit and pump when the furnace is on! This form is a great tool for helping others! Thanks everyone!!

Tags
camping, forester, winter