Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #1

Winter camping in my class C?

Hello! I知 a new RV owner, I just bought a Forester 2251SLE and We are heading to Oklahoma on the 27th with two stops on the way, One in flagstaff and one in Albuquerque then to Norman. My main concern is traveling with water as its going to get into the teens! How long does it take for your fresh water tank freeze? I知 thinking of draining and blowing out my fresh water tank, Drain my water heater and adding a couple gallons of RV antifreeze into the black tank for emergencies. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Everman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:53 AM   #2

We just basically did the same trip, just reversed from Alabama. I'm not sure, but your fresh water tank is probably under your bed like ours? I kept our tank about 1/2 full and disconnected the city water at night. It hit the high teens/low 20's in Grants, NM and we had no problems. Elk City, OK was in the mid 20's. We didn't use our furnace, just a little space heater to keep inside warm. If you do use the furnace it should keep the storage bays etc above freezing.
TnG2291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

I would fully winterize your plumbing system as a precaution. You may not need it but I wouldn't gamble with a potentially expensive plumbing repair.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #4

Fresh tank is under bed, above the floor. Same.fpr pump. If you are warm, fresh water is fine. If e450 chassos, travel with it full. The weight will smooth the ride.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #5

Thanks for the feed back! I think i知 going to go for it with water. We池e only staying in flagstaff one night where its the coldest and I値l be running my furnace, 5 days in OK but it痴 going to be in the 40痴 during the day. I値l also have my water heater on so that should be fine. Thanks again I知 learning alot from this forum!
Everman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

We are just over a year with a 2250 (same unit, different brand label).

Wife is much happier with:
Sound/heat material added under engine cover, cab floor, in door panels, and on top of rear wheel tubs.
Swap out of shower head, and take the hose out of the on wall retainer loop.
Tire pressure for actual weight.
Helwig anti sway bars.
Use both hot water heaters when she showers.
3m protectamt door edge clear tape on the cabinets where they get rubbed. Like under the sink, and the corner by the entry door.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

I know how much flak some of us get for promoting the non-winterizing mode of winter RVing or storage but on it goes. Haven't winterized my Sunseeker or previously my Roo over the last 11 years. I camp all through winter in the Mid-Atlantic and on Long Island, on city and fresh tank water. A little extra heat and vigilance have not failed me.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

As long as you run your furnace at night you shouldn't have problems. It will take several hours for the water to start freezing when the outside temperatures is below 32*. Where you should be concerned is if the temperature drops to 25* or less for the night and you have strong winds blowing the heat away from you RV. To help with this try to park so the front is facing into the wind. Water freezes from the outside to the inside, if your lines start freezing it will have some time for the center to get solid enough to stop the flow of water. The larger the diameter of the line, the longer it will take.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #9

Our outside shower faucet froze and split in 20+ degree weather pretty quick. All the rest of the lines, pump and tanks are in warm places inside the camper except for the low point drains. My solution for the shower was to unscrew the supply lines and cap them leaving antifreeze in the line. The connection was in my bath vanity and pretty easy to reach.

Suggest you used the camper furnace as it has the vents that run to the pump & sewer bay and under bed for supply tank. My black & grey tanks have attic pack on them.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #10

We camp in Gettysburg in the winter and it gets into the teens during the night. Run your propane heater to keep the bats warm and disconnect your outside water hose. No matter how much the wind blows, only people feel wind chill everything else feels the real temp. Worked,outside for 37 years!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
We camp in Gettysburg in the winter and it gets into the teens during the night. Run your propane heater to keep the bats warm and disconnect your outside water hose. No matter how much the wind blows, only people feel wind chill everything else feels the real temp. Worked,outside for 37 years!
Nobody said anything about windchill. What I said is that whatever heat is there is going to be blown away by the wind. I've worked outdoors for 24 years on farms and the last 25 was running a car shredder. We used water to keep the dirt and dust under control.

Blowing wind will cause water to loose it's temperature quicker than on a calm 0mph day. We even had 2 inch water lines freeze while water was flowing through them at 25 gpm.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Nobody said anything about windchill. What I said is that whatever heat is there is going to be blown away by the wind. I've worked outdoors for 24 years on farms and the last 25 was running a car shredder. We used water to keep the dirt and dust under control.

Blowing wind will cause water to loose it's temperature quicker than on a calm 0mph day. We even had 2 inch water lines freeze while water was flowing through them at 25 gpm.
This was discussed several times in the past and wind chill always comes up. Just thought I would Nip It In The Bud, if you get my drift!
Old 12-25-2017, 01:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Our outside shower faucet froze and split in 20+ degree weather pretty quick. All the rest of the lines, pump and tanks are in warm places inside the camper except for the low point drains. My solution for the shower was to unscrew the supply lines and cap them leaving antifreeze in the line. The connection was in my bath vanity and pretty easy to reach.

Suggest you used the camper furnace as it has the vents that run to the pump & sewer bay and under bed for supply tank. My black & grey tanks have attic pack on them.
The outside shower is my only concern. Why FR would put a shower outside with only a plastic door for protection is beyond me. It should be in a heated compartment, which is on my mod list.
Our unit has the Arctic pack so everything else will be fine.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:44 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
The outside shower is my only concern. Why FR would put a shower outside with only a plastic door for protection is beyond me.
Because almost every other RV manufacturer uses the same type of outside shower, not just FR.
It's an industry standard.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #15

My outside shower is located in the area under the bath sink along with all the water lines and a heat tube/vent. As long as the unit heater is on,I don't,think it could freeze.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #16

Quote:
My outside shower is located in the area under the bath sink along with all the water lines and a heat tube/vent. As long as the unit heater is on,I don't,think it could freeze.

Mine froze and cracked overnight in temps 20-25 degrees. Heat was on in the camper. Easy to replace but I plan to keep it isolated and empty for our upcoming trip from Ohio to Quartzsite.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #17

Quote:
It was 16 over night for several nights.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #18

I'm camping now in NW Arkansas (Georgetown 31L5). When I de-winterized last Monday I did not drain the antifreeze from the outside shower, intentionally. All other lines were prepped for normal camping. Has been below freezing for the last 7 days. No issues so far.

One lesson learned: Retract your steps overnight if there is any precipitation expected. We woke up one morning with snow over ice on the steps.

Second lesson learned: The basement bin holding the hot water tank does not freeze. I can put freeze sensitive gear there with no issue. Nice to have the space.

Third lesson learned: I have a humidifier running all the time. Really nice to not have dry skin issues. Yes, there has been a little condensation, but only on the sky light/vents in the ceiling. I plan to add vent pillows, but just haven't done it yet. The vent pillows will remove the last condensation. I'm using tap water from Colorado, which is just snow-melt. No calcium in the water.

If your home water source is well water you may want to use commercial drinking/distilled water. You'll know if you need to switch to distilled water if the inside of your coach starts to look like a fog bank.
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Because almost every other RV manufacturer uses the same type of outside shower, not just FR.
It's an industry standard.
I realize they all use the same type outside shower.
I'm just wondering why they didn't put it in a bay on a rig that's designed to keep everything else heated.
Presently it is stuffed with insulation until I re-route it as we use our unit year round.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #20

Here is a great solution for the outside shower posted by Hoglou

outside shower cutoffs
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=150431

Tags
camping, class c, winter